Hello Guest!  |  Home  |  Search  |  Rules  |  Login  |  Register
click here to close [x]

This is a one-time notification:

Like almost every other website, LUFCTALK.com uses cookies to power some of its essential features and to provide an improved user experience over time.
Please click here to read more about what this means, or leave the site if you do not consent to it.
You are now viewing the first version of the messageboard, which ran from 2008 to July 2013. It is only for browsing purposes and you cannot access your old account here.

To browse, register and log in to the active LUFCTALK forum, please click here. You might have to use the "Forgot password" facility if you haven't accessed your account since the update.
Rothwell
johnh
LUFCTALK Sponsor

Jul 01, 2013 16:50  Trackback URL

In the early 1950's I worked in an office in Leeds and a few of the people I worked with came from Rothwell and also Woodlesford. At the time I didn't know where Rothwell was and then I started going out with a girl who lived in Allerton Bywater. I used to cycle from Leeds via Temple Newsam and down (I think it was called) the Coal Road. This came out on the road between Swillington and Rothwell, I used to see the signpost to Rothwell which is when I found out where it was. I then used to take the old Coach Road (which the old stagecoaches used - is it still there?) to get to Allerton Bywater.
I should point out that the stagecoaches weren't running at the time.  

Go To Top
sheepy

Role

Jul 01, 2013 16:56  Trackback URL

I think what you recall as being called Coal Road is actually Bullerthorpe Lane, there used to be an open cast mine along there so perhaps it was 'nicknamed' coal road back in the day.

I'm not too sure about the old coach road but there are lots of tracks and stuff because they ran along side the canal and linked up the old pit (Rothwell Colliery), the Canal, the Railway line at Woodlesford and the old Bentleys Brewery.

Small world huh, obviously I'm biased, but I don't think there is a better area in Leeds and probably on Earth       

Go To Top
Spiderman

Jul 01, 2013 18:34  Trackback URL

The only coal road I know is at Seacroft, travelled it many times on my home made racing bike.

Go To Top
johnh
LUFCTALK Sponsor

Jul 01, 2013 18:40  Trackback URL

Thanks Sheepy. I will have a look on Google Earth to see if I remember anything. You say Rothwell is the best place on earth, you haven't been to Slough then.  

Go To Top
sheepy

Role

Jul 01, 2013 18:42  Trackback URL

I used to work just off Coal Road at Seacroft, it runs down to Shadwell.

Go To Top
Spiderman

Jul 01, 2013 22:29  Trackback URL

johnh Trackback URL

You say Rothwell is the best place on earth, you haven't been to Slough then.  

I used to travel through Slough or "Sluff" as we called it about thirty years ago, wouldn't call it a nice place, maybe it's changed.

Go To Top
johnh
LUFCTALK Sponsor

Jul 02, 2013 10:16  Trackback URL

Spiderman Trackback URL

johnh Trackback URL

I used to travel through Slough or "Sluff" as we called it about thirty years ago, wouldn't call it a nice place, maybe it's changed.

Yes, it has changed. It's about 10 times worse than it was thirty years ago. John Betjeman had it sussed when he wrote 'come friendly bombs and drop on Slough' - or words to that effect. I was being ironic with my original post.  

Go To Top
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK MODERATOR

Jul 02, 2013 10:20  Trackback URL

When you talk about Slough, I had the misfortune many years ago to work in Basingstoke, now that was the pits. One of the original concrete jungles. Never been back, never want to.

Go To Top
SMorientes

Jul 02, 2013 10:44  Trackback URL

johnh Trackback URL

Spiderman Trackback URL

johnh Trackback URL

Yes, it has changed. It's about 10 times worse than it was thirty years ago. John Betjeman had it sussed when he wrote 'come friendly bombs and drop on Slough' - or words to that effect. I was being ironic with my original post.  

The first verse as far as I can recall:

Come friendly bombs and fall on Slough
It isn't fit for humans now
There isn't grass to graze a cow

Horrible place. The missus grew up near there.

On the subject of John Betjeman, he was a big fan of Leeds (not LUFC) particularly its architecture, and the BBC commissioned him to do a documentary all about it, but after filming it decided not to Aire it since it wasn't London-centric enough, in an era where everything was (more-so than today).
Somone found the tape on top of an old Leeds City Council wardrobe about 20 years later, and no-one had any idea what it was, but someone found out, dusted it down and whacked it ont'internet.
It can be viewed here if anyone's interested:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/insideout...ture.shtml

Go To Top
sheepy

Role

Jul 02, 2013 13:45  Trackback URL

Apparently Leeds has the second most listed buildings in the country. London has the most.

Go To Top

1 Guest(s), 0 Member(s) Viewing This Topic:

Football badges shop