The Book Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: The Book Thread

Post by johnh »

Brother sent me a football book 'Roy of the Rovers' by Giles Smith.

It is a lighthearted satire on the life of Roy Race from childhood to when he plays for Melchester Rovers. His childhood starts during the second world war and a lot of his early experiences would also appear in my biography if I ever wrote it! Every football cliche you ever heard is cleverly woven into the story-line. It is very funny and I can only agree with one of the comments on the cover which states:
'Giles Smith's fictionalised autobiography of Roy of the Rovers is a gem - a masterpiece of comic writing in the tradition of Molesworth, Diary of a Nobody and 1066 And All That - ROBERT HARRIS.
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Any chance of a release date for the latest blockbuster DLW ?.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Barlow Boy wrote:Any chance of a release date for the latest blockbuster DLW ?.
Got to get the timing right, don't want to clash with Andy 'Shrimper'. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Hiya guys. Re Andy the Shrimper (not seen where he has posted yet but he has contacted me to say he's asked for permission from the mods on here to advertise the book but no one yet come back to him? He is actually a mate of mine and I may have mentioned him before - he arranged my "do" at Southend for my final 92 ground. I arranged tickets for a few Leeds away games for him to complete his 92 which he did a few weeks after I got there. For anyone interested in his book I can vouch for it being a decent read as I went through a lot of it for him too.
As for my next effort.... well it's at proof reading at the moment but hopefully will be available from CompletelyNovel within a couple of weeks and then Amazon "and all good book stores" (!!!) shortly after that.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

I've got one coming out in September :D

Who did Andy ask then Dave? This is a generally brilliantly supportive site, maybe he looked like he was a random kitchen seller? :lol:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Cheers Dave, Iooking forward to it.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Just finished Peter James You Are Dead as always a cracking read.
Winner of the Europa League
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

dlw10 wrote: As for my next effort.... well it's at proof reading at the moment but hopefully will be available from CompletelyNovel within a couple of weeks and then Amazon "and all good book stores" (!!!) shortly after that.
Any news DLW ?.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Sorry Kev, still awaiting my final proof reader to come through! Must be soon now.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

No worries Dave, I usually take it away for my jaunt up to Northumberland. I'll dig out another one for now, but if you could put a note up when it's available that would be great :thumbup: