Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

Simple question should we stay in the EU or opt out ?

Poll ended at 26 Mar 2016, 18:48

IN
50%
OUT
50%

Total votes: 12

Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Post by Costy »

one thing ive learnt reading this fourum is that mellor dont make mistakes
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Mellor wrote:
SiMamu wrote:
Mellor wrote: Just want to check you've used the wrong 'our' on purpose. If so, that's very clever and I really like it. If it wasn't purpose, well :|.
I'm no Michael Rosen but it was intended although it could just have easily been a mistake :)
Mellor, I may not agree with many a thing you say, but, I cannot let you run yourself down. Wether I agree with you or not your posts are always delivered in an excellent way. :clap:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

It didn't do the 'remain' campaign any favours when they rolled out Tony Blair and John Major to boost their case. I reckon that cost them a few million votes. Probably the two most disastrous PM's since WW2. Oops! forgot about Gordon Brown. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

I have a different concern now. Scotland is looking for another independence referendum and the Nationalist parties are now calling for a united Ireland referendum,as is their right, as overall N.Ireland voted remain. IF and I say IF the UK economy does take a nosedive then I can see England and Wales looking to cut loose N.Ireland as well.

Therefore to me (if it happens) it shouldn't be as simple as a yes no Leave the UK (what I don't want) but an additional choice of going it as an independent Northern Ireland.

The other issue is that a new easier route into the Non EU UK may become a temptation, through the Republic to the UK via N.Ireland.

I do think now we all need to work together to forge a strong UK whilst keeping friends with our European neighbours. Although we may just have started a trend.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

Following on from what you've just said Davy, worth taking a look at the article below;

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... ationalism
White Knight

Post by White Knight »

A comment from a young Briton to an article in today's Times;

“The younger generation has lost the right to live and work in 27 other countries. We will never know the full extent of lost opportunities, friendships, marriages and experiences we will be denied. Freedom of movement was taken away by our parents, uncles and grandparents in a parting blow to a generation that was already drowning in the debts of its predecessors.”
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

White Knight wrote:Following on from what you've just said Davy, worth taking a look at the article below;

A good article WK. I keep hearing about the massively important referendums that have taken place in the UK, The first EU vote, the MP's selection nonsense a couple of years ago and the Scottish Independence vote. We had a massive vote a few years ago that's mainly forgot about. A Yes or No to the Good Friday Agreement. I voted NO ...... and I am so happy to say I was wrong. I have watched the last generation of young people growing up not knowing fully what the troubles meant. I smile when I hear them in my work place still banter and take the mick out of each others religion before heading to the pub together, god help anyone who comes between those friends, not totally PC I know but its the real world and a better real world than I grew up in.

I just pray that this does not make the happy feeling of me being a total ass in voting NO be a waste.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
White Knight

Post by White Knight »

Davycc wrote:
White Knight wrote:Following on from what you've just said Davy, worth taking a look at the article below;

A good article WK. I keep hearing about the massively important referendums that have taken place in the UK, The first EU vote, the MP's selection nonsense a couple of years ago and the Scottish Independence vote. We had a massive vote a few years ago that's mainly forgot about. A Yes or No to the Good Friday Agreement. I voted NO ...... and I am so happy to say I was wrong. I have watched the last generation of young people growing up not knowing fully what the troubles meant. I smile when I hear them in my work place still banter and take the mick out of each others religion before heading to the pub together, god help anyone who comes between those friends, not totally PC I know but its the real world and a better real world than I grew up in.

I just pray that this does not make the happy feeling of me being a total ass in voting NO be a waste.
That's a massive post Davy. :clap:

It's never easy to put your hand up and say that you were wrong, but to do so because you can now see a new and positive reality is brilliant. We all came from more extreme positions, usually bred from ignorance and fear. That so much progress has been made is one of the great achievements of our time. That's why if any damage was done to this calmer and better life for all on this island due to a type of "collateral" casualty from a vote on an entirely different issue would really be a disaster. Hopefully, enough progress has been made for people work together to find a solution that work for all of us.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

White Knight wrote:A comment from a young Briton to an article in today's Times;

“The younger generation has lost the right to live and work in 27 other countries. We will never know the full extent of lost opportunities, friendships, marriages and experiences we will be denied. Freedom of movement was taken away by our parents, uncles and grandparents in a parting blow to a generation that was already drowning in the debts of its predecessors.”
Not sure what this is all about. Sounds like self pity to me. As a grandparent I can tell you that there was no opportunity for us to work in 27 other countries either, though you could emigrate to Australia. We just got on and grafted a living. Also, my grandchildren wont drown in my debts because when I depart this mortal coil they will be a site better off than I was at their age. There is no secret, you just work hard.
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

White Knight wrote:
Davycc wrote:

That's a massive post Davy. :clap:

It's never easy to put your hand up and say that you were wrong, but to do so because you can now see a new and positive reality is brilliant. We all came from more extreme positions, usually bred from ignorance and fear. That so much progress has been made is one of the great achievements of our time. That's why if any damage was done to this calmer and better life for all on this island due to a type of "collateral" casualty from a vote on an entirely different issue would really be a disaster. Hopefully, enough progress has been made for people work together to find a solution that work for all of us.
WK I truly believe if the hard line "idiots" (and that's the softest term I can use) on either side would just f**k off, the average Joe would do just fine together. As I've said Iv'e witnessed the kind of friendships across religious devides that would have been massive news 20 years ago, probably even being made into an Horizon program, and this is the norm now, thank god.

Don't get me wrong I want to stay British but firstly I'm Northern Irish. I totally understand republican beliefs and feelings and if I fight for my right to choose then that also means fighting for their right to choose, that's a democracy.

Perhaps we should have Michael O'Neill as leader of the Independent Northern Ireland, a country for everyone who wants to be part of it.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders