Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

Simple question should we stay in the EU or opt out ?

Poll ended at 26 Mar 2016, 18:48

IN
50%
OUT
50%

Total votes: 12

johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Brexit - Yes or No? - Poll added

Post by johnh »

Frankie wrote:
dlw10 wrote:
Mellor wrote:It's not so much what I want (the full implications of BREXIT will take umpteen years to work through so they'll pass me by, it's more that BREXIT won't give those who voted for it what they want. I'm satisfied that what's wrong in the UK is nothing to do with the EU.

I'm genuinely interested in the direction of travel and see little sign of what that is. I think we're at least one great speech short of what's required, we have the sat nav but no postcode.
I've not said much on this thread as I don't actually like discussing politics on a football forum but what you say there Melloe is very much what I believe. Those who voted out will not see us achieve what they thought it would deliver. I am still very concerned that we could be left high and dry in so many aspects, not least financial. The world is too big and interconnected these days and being in the same boat as Europe, holed as she is near the water line, was, for me, far preferable to being in a small dinghy. I'm not sure we can withstand a major financial catastrophe on our own whereas I believe the whole of Europe could - as they have stood with Greece helping her out of her troubles. My hope is still that Europe will see that it has to change and does change and that we can eventually join with them again in a new alliance.

My stance is similar to you and Mellor.
Sorry to re-hash an earlier post but for some reason I missed dlw10's original post and didn't see it until Frankie quoted it (above). dlw10 refers to Greece saying that the EU has 'stood with Greece helping her out of her trouble'. Well the trouble Greece are in is, indirectly, the fault of the EU. The Greece economy has always been a bit of a basket case, mainly due to the fact that most of the population of Greece don't believe in paying tax. However, the problem that Greece are experiencing now is solely due to the fact that they joined the euro. There is no way that the economy passed the stringent rules for getting into the euro but is a well known 'secret' that Greece fiddled the figures and Brussels knew they had but turned a blind eye. Brussels were anxious to get as many countries into the euro as they could. A currency designed for the powerhouse of Germany was totally unsuitable for a weak economy like Greece. The economy of Greece deteriorated rapidly and the austerity that they now have, and have had for several years, was imposed by the EU. That austerity is worse than anything in the UK by about a factor of ten. Some stats: (From the Guardian website - not the Daily Mail!). Unemployment is 30%. Youth unemployment is 50% (has been as high as 60%). Real incomes are down 25%. Pensions are down 25%.
I don't think the population of Greece see the EU as a 'benevolent uncle'.
The problem is, that there is no way out for the Greece economy, they are stuck with austerity as the economy cannot manage the debt. There are only two options. 1. Debt cancellation. This is not on as other EU countries would also demand it, plus countries who have been through the austerity and come out the other side eg Ireland, would not be too happy. 2. Bail out of the euro and return to the drachma. This in itself would cause major problems over several years but at least would give an opportunity, over the longer term, to rescue the situation.
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
You class yourself as British Davvy does this mean you would be happy if you were called and English man, a Scotsman or a Welshman. :thumbup:
Nope and with no disrespect to any of the above I'd correct and always do anyone who calls me English, Scottish (more often) or Irish (never been called Welsh). I call myself British or if someone wants a more regionally defined answer "Northern Irish"

I really do hope that in 100 years time religion will be phased out completely, imo it does and is causing a lot of trouble in the world "and some good aswell" but its about a thousand years out of date to me. I'm not sure what the new opiate of the people will be "do we need one?" but lets hope its less divisive than the old one.
Agreed religion causes so many problems, the sad thing is every religion that I know of teaches respect, tolerance and kindness to others but many who follow which ever religion it is seem to lose that concept.
I'll stick with Charles Darwin's theory and just hope that if there is a God, he understands me going for a pint on a Sunday and missing church. :angel:
I'm with you on that :thumbup: :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Wondering if we might be about to see the first genuine benefit of BREXIT. May, apparently, Is to reconsider the horrendous Hinkley Point decision made by Cameron and Rudd. PFi like privatisation is bad for me and the cost of the EDF deal looks particularly crazy. If BREXIT means BREXIT May has a chance to demonstrate this. If we need the power station let's fund the thing ourselves rather than put money into French pockets. If on the other hand the whole thing looks risky (the EDF board were far from unanimous) hoof the scheme into the long grass -similar developments in Scandanavia are going belly up. Hope May steps up to the plate.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Mellor wrote:Wondering if we might be about to see the first genuine benefit of BREXIT. May, apparently, Is to reconsider the horrendous Hinkley Point decision made by Cameron and Rudd. PFi like privatisation is bad for me and the cost of the EDF deal looks particularly crazy. If BREXIT means BREXIT May has a chance to demonstrate this. If we need the power station let's fund the thing ourselves rather than put money into French pockets. If on the other hand the whole thing looks risky (the EDF board were far from unanimous) hoof the scheme into the long grass -similar developments in Scandanavia are going belly up. Hope May steps up to the plate.
Mellor, good post. We agree. :thumbup: Just add, its not only the French its the Chinese too who will be milking it.
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

johnh wrote:
Mellor wrote:Wondering if we might be about to see the first genuine benefit of BREXIT. May, apparently, Is to reconsider the horrendous Hinkley Point decision made by Cameron and Rudd. PFi like privatisation is bad for me and the cost of the EDF deal looks particularly crazy. If BREXIT means BREXIT May has a chance to demonstrate this. If we need the power station let's fund the thing ourselves rather than put money into French pockets. If on the other hand the whole thing looks risky (the EDF board were far from unanimous) hoof the scheme into the long grass -similar developments in Scandanavia are going belly up. Hope May steps up to the plate.
Mellor, good post. We agree. :thumbup: Just add, its not only the French its the Chinese too who will be milking it.
Energy supplies are a strategic national issue and should not be under foreign control. Things are looking different already under May: this postponement along with the arrest of illegal foreign restaurant workers in London and the separation of OpenReach from BT are things I thoroughly approve of.
Last edited by mapperleywhite on 29 Jul 2016, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

johnh wrote:
As long as they reinvest it back in the club... :D
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

Bookies losing faith and shorten odds on Article 50 never being triggered. UKIP in disarray. Tories gone to ground. Labour infighting.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 70361.html
attacco decente
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Neither the bookies nor the 'experts' have got anything right, starting with the last General Election.
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

I think the 'experts' got plenty of stuff right & continue to do so. Bookies struggling with politics though.
attacco decente
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

I can see the Brexit vote triggering referenda in other countries leading to a partial (or total) collapse of the EU. In the mean time we'll be fannying around, arguing amongst ourselves and never actually get around to leaving. We'll be bickering as it falls down around our ears. And I say that as someone who voted to remain.