LUFC - The Moaning of Modern Life!

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: LUFC - The Moaning of Modern Life!

Post by Selby White »

To be honest opening doors is just something I do without even thinking and more often than not a thank you is received.

As for mobile phones hate sat with people who are constantly staring into theirs especially at meals out, find that so rude.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I like that "rule" whereby if you go out for a meal everyone puts their mobiles in the centre of the table and agrees not to touch them.
The first person that answers it or picks one up has to pay for the meal :)
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:I like that "rule" whereby if you go out for a meal everyone puts their mobiles in the centre of the table and agrees not to touch them.
That seems an eminently suitable arrangement. However, while understanding why someone would carry their mobile phone with them, I cannot understand why, when having a meal with friends, it would be switched on. Its like when watching snooker on TV. Before start of play they ask people to turn off their mobile phones. You can bet that before the first frame is over, a player is disturbed by a phone ringing. Maybe I should get out more but my mobile phone sits in the car (permanently) and is only ever used for emergencies, break-down's etc.,
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

johnh wrote:
rigger wrote:I like that "rule" whereby if you go out for a meal everyone puts their mobiles in the centre of the table and agrees not to touch them.
That seems an eminently suitable arrangement. However, while understanding why someone would carry their mobile phone with them, I cannot understand why, when having a meal with friends, it would be switched on. Its like when watching snooker on TV. Before start of play they ask people to turn off their mobile phones. You can bet that before the first frame is over, a player is disturbed by a phone ringing. Maybe I should get out more but my mobile phone sits in the car (permanently) and is only ever used for emergencies, break-down's etc.,
What if it's an incoming emergency from a loved one or a friend ??
That's why they should be left on.
They can be put on silent, like if you're in the cinema for example.

They don't need to ever be switched "off" - otherwise what's the point in having one ??
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

Had a bit of a barny in M and S the other day; tried to take a pillow back as it was rubbish; the filling was all uneven and bumpy! :thumbdown:

The first lady told me that I couldn't return it because I had opened the packaging! :crazy: (The packaging being sealed and opaque plastic.) -This is not what I had expected from Marks and Spencers, I have to say. I protested and I lost my cool a little bit, I tried to explain that I am unable to see through opaque plastic and if I was able to do this, or if the packaging had been transparent, then I would not have needed to open it, only to find that it was lumpy and bumpy and I would have been able to return it unopened! :eh:

She went to get someone else, I told this lady that I had thought that they prided themselves on their quality and these were not the quality that I expected from M and S. I was then told by this lady that they were fine and there was nothing wrong with them and they were meant to be like that! She explained that these pillows are really great and very comfortable she had bought 4! She then told me that she bought hers from Asda, so I am not sure how that works! :?: :!:

I explained that I have bought many pillows in my life and this wasn't how they are meant to be at all! (- Except maybe after a year or two of use.) By now there was a bit of a queue forming at Returns! I said again that if they had put the pillow in transparent packaging then there would not be a problem, as I would not then have had to open the packaging!
'I can see your point' she said, 'but we can't take it back if it has been opened!' :roll:

Then - my rage was starting to get out of control - I said 'Sh!' to this lady! ( I had been teaching a chatty year 5 class the day before!) She went to ask for advice from someone else. I was shocked at this behaviour of mine, so I tried to calm down and I then when she came back I found myself agreeing to them sending it away to be checked to see if it was faulty :lol: :roll: and that it would take a couple of weeks!

Why are we expected to just buy stuff without being able to see it first!

:twisted:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Frankie wrote:Had a bit of a barny in M and S the other day; tried to take a pillow back as it was rubbish; the filling was all uneven and bumpy! :thumbdown:

The first lady told me that I couldn't return it because I had opened the packaging! :crazy: (The packaging being sealed and opaque plastic.) -This is not what I had expected from Marks and Spencers, I have to say. I protested and I lost my cool a little bit, I tried to explain that I am unable to see through opaque plastic and if I was able to do this, or if the packaging had been transparent, then I would not have needed to open it, only to find that it was lumpy and bumpy and I would have been able to return it unopened! :eh:

She went to get someone else, I told this lady that I had thought that they prided themselves on their quality and these were not the quality that I expected from M and S. I was then told by this lady that they were fine and there was nothing wrong with them and they were meant to be like that! She explained that these pillows are really great and very comfortable she had bought 4! She then told me that she bought hers from Asda, so I am not sure how that works! :?: :!:

I explained that I have bought many pillows in my life and this wasn't how they are meant to be at all! (- Except maybe after a year or two of use.) By now there was a bit of a queue forming at Returns! I said again that if they had put the pillow in transparent packaging then there would not be a problem, as I would not then have had to open the packaging!
'I can see your point' she said, 'but we can't take it back if it has been opened!' :roll:

Then - my rage was starting to get out of control - I said 'Sh!' to this lady! ( I had been teaching a chatty year 5 class the day before!) She went to ask for advice from someone else. I was shocked at this behaviour of mine, so I tried to calm down and I then when she came back I found myself agreeing to them sending it away to be checked to see if it was faulty :lol: :roll: and that it would take a couple of weeks!

Why are we expected to just buy stuff without being able to see it first!

:twisted:
Sad about m&s they have always been good in the past but not surprised as someone mentioned to me they had similar problems recently.
Only things they always refused to take back were clearance items at the outlet stores which they usually mentioned at the till before purchase.

Had a gf once that always went to m&s buy lots of clothes but not try on until she got home. Then would end up taking 80% back, got habit from her mother who did same. Probably people like them that's caused change in attitude.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Can't believe no one mentioned the weather? It's the one thing that binds us brits together moaning about the Four Seasons. God help us when Global Warming kicks in. :D

I always find that money is the thing most moaned about in Modern Life, or lack of it should I say. :D
Deleted User 728

You a bit bored today, mate ? :D
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

The weather has been atrocious here today. Oh and I'm skint. But I don' like to moan me. :D
Deleted User 728

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:The weather has been atrocious here today. Oh and I'm skint. But I don' like to moan me. :D

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: