Boxing Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Re: Boxing Thread

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

It's almost here GGG Vrs Brook.

Have been watching both fighters closely this week. IMO I think Golovokin will win by TKO between rounds 4-6.

Kell Brook is pumped-up and looks ready, but once he feels the power of GGG all that confidence will probably drain away.

Hope Kell wins and does shock the world tho.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I thought it was quite good to see them at the weigh in, neither doing all the stupid stuff, just a simple face to face for the cameras and then a shake of the hands.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I think Kell will need to knock him out early, his only chance of winning.
I once played against Don Revie.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Don't know why this came into my mind today. I once had the pleasure of an hours chat with Henry Cooper (1990's), just me and him. He told me some really interesting stories about his career, some very funny. One was that he and his twin brother George (also a heavyweight) were being driven in London in manager Jim Wicks car. Jim cut up a taxi which forced them to a stop. The taxi driver got out and raced over in an aggressive manner. Henry said that he and George got out to calm things down and the taxi driver, all 5ft 8 inches of him who obviously didn't recognise them, said 'you are only brave cos there's two of yer'.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

johnh wrote:Don't know why this came into my mind today. I once had the pleasure of an hours chat with Henry Cooper (1990's), just me and him. He told me some really interesting stories about his career, some very funny. One was that he and his twin brother George (also a heavyweight) were being driven in London in manager Jim Wicks car. Jim cut up a taxi which forced them to a stop. The taxi driver got out and raced over in an aggressive manner. Henry said that he and George got out to calm things down and the taxi driver, all 5ft 8 inches of him who obviously didn't recognise them, said 'you are only brave cos there's two of yer'.
Fair play to the taxi driver, at only 5ft 7inches I can sympathise.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 3289

johnh wrote:Don't know why this came into my mind today. I once had the pleasure of an hours chat with Henry Cooper (1990's), just me and him. He told me some really interesting stories about his career, some very funny. One was that he and his twin brother George (also a heavyweight) were being driven in London in manager Jim Wicks car. Jim cut up a taxi which forced them to a stop. The taxi driver got out and raced over in an aggressive manner. Henry said that he and George got out to calm things down and the taxi driver, all 5ft 8 inches of him who obviously didn't recognise them, said 'you are only brave cos there's two of yer'.
Nice one Johnh, he always came across has a real gent did our Henry, must of been a pleasure to be in his company sharing stories.

Arrghh road rage from a taxi driver being cut up "makes me smile" they are some of the worst drivers here in Blackpool the taxi drivers. They seem to have this mentality that they can pull out in front of you at any time and if you don't stop it will be your fault. As I've mellowed with age I just smile at people on the roads these days when they make a mistake. Raging doesn't do anyone any good imo.

Always remember that fight with Ali & Cooper, and Cooper floored Ali at the end the fourth round. Ali went to his corner dazed and came out with a split glove. :D

Shame about Tyson Fury's mental health problems leading to the postponement again of his proposed fight with wladimir klitschko. Although the first fight was a shocker i was looking forward to see if he could back the first victory up? Don't think he will fight again now and will lose his Belts as a consequence.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

According to Telegraph Sport today, if Fury can't make the fight there are moves for Joshua to step in.
Deleted User 3289

johnh wrote:According to Telegraph Sport today, if Fury can't make the fight there are moves for Joshua to step in.
Seen that on sky aswell. They apparently used to spar together quite a lot afew years back with Klitschko full of praise for Joshua. Would like to see the fight happen but I'm dubious that it will. It would definitely be the end for Klitschko if he loses, but on the other hand it could be his last chance at a massive pay-day so it may happen. We should know by the end of the week
Deleted User 3289

Juergen Braehmer Vrs Nathan Cleverly tonight. Don't know much about Braehmer other than he dosnt fight out of Germany much. But Cleverly is usually good value to watch.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Assume you've seen the media reports regarding Fury, absolute madness if true.