The departed

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Re: The departed

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Getting back on track, Mr Rudy van Gelder died earlier this week and I wanted to include him in here.

He was the studio engineer and producer at Blue Note Records and was responsible for many of the most famous jazz albums of all time.

There was a series of reissues of his work about fifteen years ago, all with the same "RVG" logo on the spines and each one was flawless in terms of the recording quality.

Whether you're a jazz fan or not, some of these guys are unsung heroes in music.
Sure, you can mock Trevor Horn, SAW and Cowell - feel free !! - but the likes of van Gelder, George Martin, Bill Porter, Russ Terrana and Sam Phillips helped shape music as we know and love it today.

RIP RVG :(
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Plenty of RVGs stuff in our house. The Blue Note sound, like Motown, Stax and Philly in soul, defines a genre in many ways. That RVG had a 'sound' was brought home to me by the fact Mingus refused to work with him - didn't want his bass sound changing. Fascinating.

RVG was certainly a legend, one which will live on in the fabulous music he's left behind/helped shape. RIP.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Whilst admittedly not a massive jazz fanatic, I'm learning all the time about the genre with open ears and like most people I guess, I'm more than a little ignorant when it comes to producers, Engineers. I suppose an analogy I would use is, its like enjoying a fantastic meal, but only tipping the waitress.

So I say thank you for the music.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

johnh wrote:
rigger wrote:
Davycc wrote:John I'm sorry but he looks nothing like you.
I think there's a strong resemblance between John and his brother in the movie, bearing in mind it was made some 30 years ago.
Yes there is a resemblance though he wasn't quite as good looking as me. :D He was a brilliant musician though, pianist and arranger. I can't even play the kazoo.
Me thinks my attempt at humour went above Johnh's avatar's head....... :silent:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Mel Charles younger brother of John dies aged 81:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37466756
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Arnold Palmer

7 majors to his name one of the true greats.

RIP
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Just read that Arnold Palmer has died.

He was was them man that took golf to a new level in the early 60s when TV came on the scene:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37469392

RIP
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Top golfer in his time, RIP Mr Palmer
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Mel Charles younger brother of John dies aged 81:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37466756
Ah very sad, he seemed to be another gent and giant like John. His autobiography is a really good read.

Just to add that the last I read of Mel was an interview in a Swansea newspaper, possibly last year, he was being cared for in a Swansea care home and was suffering with Alzheimer's or dementia. I'd have loved to have met him, he was here in the early 50s but became homesick early on and decided to go back to Swansea.

RIP.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Former Aussie cricketer and commentator Max Walker has died aged 68, he started his test career back in 1973 and was part of the famous series in 1974/75 where Lillie & Thompson destroyed England and a year later the West Indies, he played 34 tests. RIP Mr Walker.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.