Re: The blabla of the forum

Post by johnh »

Nice bit of lawn that too TraceyM.
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

johnh wrote:Nice bit of lawn that too TraceyM.

John, don't encourage them :crazy:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Davycc wrote:
johnh wrote:Nice bit of lawn that too TraceyM.

John, don't encourage them :crazy:

Tracey, you do know that when we finally have a meet up that will be your official moniker.

Unless you prefer Monica to Tracey ;)
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

OK so Tracey is doing none of this

Got a bit more done today roof felted and 80% of the walls clad with old pallets (free but a bugger to separate)

Am getting there once clad a light sanding then a good coat of marine varnish, looking for something like this,

Intentions are to add power lighting and a 36" tv for footy (we have a smart one with wifi that we can donate) a small beer cooler and a few seats for the "sports bar"

Will update as project continues

However ..... next post :D
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Am on a fortnights leave to sort the “sports bar” out. However we totally forgot that Tracey’s kids bought us a Spa stay at the Galgorm Resort and Spa so booked it for tomorrow night. http://www.galgorm.com/
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Looking good, that. I love recycled wood and wood generally. There's just something wonderfully tactile about it and every single piece is individual and beautiful in its own right :)
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Just been watching a documentary on You Tube. It's about a guy Alistair Urquhart (the luckiest man in WWII) Captured in Singapore by the Japanese. Worked on the infamous railway (including the bridge over the river Kwai). Got and survived cholera. Was put on a Japanese ship bound for Japan. Got torpedoed, survived for several days on his own on a life raft. Picked up by another Japanese ship, taken to a prison camp in Nagasaki and was there when the atom bomb was dropped. He weighed 6 stone when he was freed. When the documentary was made, he was 97. They must have been thinking of Mr Urquhart when they coined the saying 'they don't make them like that any more'. Put all my tiny problems into perspective.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

johnh wrote:Just been watching a documentary on You Tube. It's about a guy Alistair Urquhart (the luckiest man in WWII) Captured in Singapore by the Japanese. Worked on the infamous railway (including the bridge over the river Kwai). Got and survived cholera. Was put on a Japanese ship bound for Japan. Got torpedoed, survived for several days on his own on a life raft. Picked up by another Japanese ship, taken to a prison camp in Nagasaki and was there when the atom bomb was dropped. He weighed 6 stone when he was freed. When the documentary was made, he was 97. They must have been thinking of Mr Urquhart when they coined the saying 'they don't make them like that any more'. Put all my tiny problems into perspective.
Amazing, really makes you realise how we have it easy. We can never thank them enough
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

johnh wrote:Just been watching a documentary on You Tube. It's about a guy Alistair Urquhart (the luckiest man in WWII) Captured in Singapore by the Japanese. Worked on the infamous railway (including the bridge over the river Kwai). Got and survived cholera. Was put on a Japanese ship bound for Japan. Got torpedoed, survived for several days on his own on a life raft. Picked up by another Japanese ship, taken to a prison camp in Nagasaki and was there when the atom bomb was dropped. He weighed 6 stone when he was freed. When the documentary was made, he was 97. They must have been thinking of Mr Urquhart when they coined the saying 'they don't make them like that any more'. Put all my tiny problems into perspective.
John there's another story similar to what you've mentioned. It's about a Cork man, Dr. Aidan McCarthy who was in the RAF during WW2, and went through a similar experience up to and including being in Nagasaki when the atom bomb was dropped. A Doctor's Sword is the name of the documentary and it is excellent.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

When I worked in Windsor in the early 1970's we occasionally went in a pub in the centre of Windsor, next to the castle, and the landlord was a Japanese prisoner of war. He was in Nagasaki when the atom bomb was dropped. There were photographs of the aftermath on the walls of the pub.