The Cricket Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Taken from elsewhere from a very reliable poster & if he says its this its this.
Heard tonight he will not be charged but will be given a 2 match ban by the ECB so will be available for the 3rd Test. He will play for the Lions in a warm up game between the 2nd & 3rd Tests.
He's also had 2 full weeks working hard in the nets at Durham. If this is correct then obviously the lad involved hasn't pressed charges for whatever reason, remembering ( & this the cynical part of me ) he's a rich guy these days.
Winner of the Europa League
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Ashes stats

Last 5 series scores – (Australia score first) – 2-3 5-0 0-3 1-3 1-2

Current holder of ashes – England

Series (overall)
Australia 32 wins
England 32 wins
Drawn 5

Tests (overall)
Australia 140 wins
England 108 wins
Drawn 93

In Australia
Series

Australia 18 wins
England 14 wins
Drawn series 2

Tests in Australia
Australia 91 wins
England 57 wins
Drawn 27

Tests at each ground
Australia England Drawn
Melbourne 26 20 7
Sydney 26 22 7
Adelaide 17 9 5
Brisbane 11 4 5
Perth 9 1 3
Other 0 1 0

Most Runs – Don Bradman (Australia) 5028 runs
Jack Hobbs (England) 3636 runs

Most Wickets - Shane Warne (Australia) 195 wickets
Ian Botham (England) 128 wickets

Players to watch

Australia – David Warner, Usman Khawaja, Stephen Smith, Josh Hazelwood, Mitchell Starc and Nathan Lyon

England – Alistair Cook, Joe Root, Johnny Bairstow, Ben Stokes (when/if he gets here), Moeen Ali, Stuart Broad and James Anderson

Predictions – I’m not expecting any drawn tests in this one and an Ashes series is always about how you start in this country and sometimes England have not started the best like when Nasser Hussain put Australia in and had 364 scored against them or when Harmison sprayed the ball so far wide it was nearly at 3rd slip when the ball past, a good start is a must like in 2010/11 when Cook got a double hundred to save the game and it set up the rest of the series for an England win.

If the Aussie bowling in on form (mainly Hazelwood and Starc) then the feeble part of England’s batting and there is plenty of it will suffer and they will get off to a bad start, the usual candidates like Root/Cook etc will need help from the rest of the team to build big scores.

I’m picking that it will be a close series and I have a feeling that it will go like the last series when once a team gets ahead it goes on and wins the game, 3-2 to the Aussies mainly due to Stokes arriving late.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Good stats there Mr R ;) the English championship fixtures come out next week so even though I'm away I'll find time to have a coffee & book accomadation at Scarborough, Taunton, Manchester & Worcester next year there's 3 weeks gone plus I have the 40 minute tram & bus to Trent Bridge to plan for at least 4 days.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Taken from elsewhere from a very reliable poster & if he says its this its this.
Heard tonight he will not be charged but will be given a 2 match ban by the ECB so will be available for the 3rd Test. He will play for the Lions in a warm up game between the 2nd & 3rd Tests.
He's also had 2 full weeks working hard in the nets at Durham. If this is correct then obviously the lad involved hasn't pressed charges for whatever reason, remembering ( & this the cynical part of me ) he's a rich guy these days.
Sounds about right, the evidence was overwhelming. I'm sure the lad will have had some very persuasive people talking to him. Lets see if he comes out and sells his side of story after its calmed down? If he doesn't then we can expect he's had a OOC settlement. Anyway forgetting he knocked someone out (fickle I no), it would be great to see him out there in Australia bashing up the Aussies...........Wickets, I meant wickets. :D
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Ashes have started...............
England won the toss and are batting

Cook when early to Starc for 2 but Vince is batting well atm
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Deleted User 1022

Post by Deleted User 1022 »

Mr Russell wrote:Ashes have started...............
England won the toss and are batting

Cook when early to Starc for 2 but Vince is batting well atm
I've been following Cricket internationally for a number of years and i always loved watching England even when they were shocking, I really love the Ashes series more than even the world cup because its the longer form of the game.

Today they had a blip early on with Cook getting caught, Vince is playing really well. 49 not out so far :thumbup:
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

Decent recovery as Stoneman and Vince put on 100+ & both pass 50.
Well done to the pair of them, so far. :thumbup:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

England 196-4 off for bad light.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

NottinghamWhite wrote:England 196-4 off for bad light.
Good hard cricket today, just a shame those late wickets have given Australia a slight edge.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

The following is on Twitter

Sky News Australia‏Verified account @SkyNewsAust
36m36 minutes ago

#BREAKING The ECB is investigating reports English batsman Jonny Bairstow headbutted Australian batsman Cameron Bancroft in Perth earlier this month.