The Cricket Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC

Re: The Cricket Thread

Postby Mr Russell » 09 Sep 2019, 22:22

johnh wrote:Geoff Boycott in the Telegraph today says that Root is just not captain material. Made a number of wrong decisions at the wrong times. It also affects his batting too, which has deteriorated considerably.

As much as it pains me to agree with Geoffrey, I 100% do. There is no point in Root been dismissed for the last test but he needs to step down after it and let someone else shoulder the burden. Stokes or Broad should take over whether for the short or long term. Root needs to concentrate on this batting and get back to where he was a few years ago when he was scoring runs for fun.

Smith has been the big difference between the teams but i'd say Cummins and Marnus Labuschagne have been the perfect back up for Smith and have had their big moments during the series. For England naturally Stokes, Broad and Archer have been the positives but i've not seen a worse batting side from an England side for many a year, the top 4 is the weak although Burns has tried hard and is one for the future, Denly fought hard in the last match but like Roy is not test match standard. Root is not scoring as much as he should be and when he does its not when it matters.

Time to stand up and show some pride and a drawn series looks better than a 3-1 loss which is more likely especially once Smith gets going. You better hope that Siddle does not get picked as he likes the Oval.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Mr Russell
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Postby johnh » 13 Sep 2019, 15:02

Cricket stat: Steve Smith has hit more 4's (85) than Warner has scored runs (84) - in the current Tests.
The ex-Prime Minister has been in our house.
johnh
Don Revie's bingo caller

Postby johnh » 13 Sep 2019, 17:50

69 run lead! A lot better than I thought it was going to be. :D
johnh
Don Revie's bingo caller

Postby Viduka Hits The Mark » 13 Sep 2019, 19:23

He must be popular in the Aussie camp Warner cos he's been garbage this series, and not just with the bat. Archers 6 wickets is a great day at the office, but a special mention must also go to Sam Curran who's left arm bowling seemed to cause the Aussies plenty of problems including Smith, who was brilliant again today for his 80. And what a catch at the end there from Burns, pure instinct. Burns can hold his head up at the top of the order, whilst not going on to big scores he's generally been steady opening the batting.
"Mama always said life was like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get." Forrest Gump.
Viduka Hits The Mark
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Postby johnh » 13 Sep 2019, 20:41

Its not often we start the day at 78 for 0.
johnh
Don Revie's bingo caller

Postby johnh » 14 Sep 2019, 12:01

BBC thread on Cricket has a competition to name your best combined team from England and Australia. So far, I have only selected the two openers: Warner and Roy.
johnh
Don Revie's bingo caller

Previous

Return to General