Coronavirus

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Coronavirus

Post by Wigan White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote:Had a walk through town this morning and couldn't believe all the queues outside every hairdresser :crazy:
I’m going to give it a couple of weeks and then I’ll be visiting my Turkish friends for my haircut, nose wax and ears burning :thumbup:
Nose wax?? :crazy:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Wigan White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Selby White wrote:Had a walk through town this morning and couldn't believe all the queues outside every hairdresser :crazy:
I’m going to give it a couple of weeks and then I’ll be visiting my Turkish friends for my haircut, nose wax and ears burning :thumbup:
Nose wax?? :crazy:
Yeah, you should try it Al.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Saxon »

Here in the States overall numbers are still rising.
Here in the north east our numbers are stable at the moment after a steady decline over the past few weeks.
Beside the health care workers, I thank the LOCAL politicians at State and local level for the decline in numbers in our area.
The governors of New York state, Conn, Mass, Rhode Island, here in the north east, imposed strict restrictions early on when we were blindsided by the first surge that hit us. The drop in our numbers are a direct result of those restrictions.
What is happening in the rest of the country where in most areas cases are exploding, is the direct result of not imposing restrictions early enough before things got out of control.
For our leaders it's a very difficult but obvious decision to make, lockdowns, businesses closing, people with no income, economy going down the tubes etc, it's tough to take, but compared to the consequences it's a no brainer.
I am concerned that the virus is going to surge back to the NE. There are more out of state license/number plates on vehicles on the roads around here as people are running away from badly infected areas. My friends wife who works in real estate says that property sales and rentals in the whole of the NE have increased dramatically with out of state people relocating.
My wife had our food larder and freezer well stocked before the first panic hit, but we have been stocking extra water/dry/canned food this past 2 weeks also in case things get even worse than the initial surge, hopefully this is not the case.
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/heal ... 14156.html

The one-day death figure of 148 is more than twice that of the same time last Saturday, when 67 deaths were recorded.

Four days ago, there were 155 deaths, followed in subsequent days by 126, 85 and 48.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

So now you have to wear a mask whilst shopping, why weren’t measures brought In when the pandemic was at its height ?
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:So now you have to wear a mask whilst shopping, why weren’t measures brought In when the pandemic was at its height ?
I would guess it's because it's a compromise between getting the economy going again while still trying to keep the infection rate down.
It's arse about face, I agree, and while I could argue it's typical of this government's handling of the pandemic I actually think they may have stumbled across a positive in all this, albeit a tiny one, namely that by introducing the "masks in shops" ruling it's reminding people that there's still a risk.
We've all seen people out and about again in the last couple of weeks, traffic down here is right back to normal and I probably see maybe 1 in 10 of pedestrians wearing a mask. Once pubs opened again, it was always going to mean the public feel like they've been let out to play again after the lockdown.

In short, the government accepts there's a number of people who will die but have weighed that up against the economic devastation that would be wreaked through a prolonged - and more strict - lockdown period. I think after three months, the population had had enough.
This isn't meant to be an attack on the tories : it's just how they're wired to think. People have lost jobs and more businesses will continue to struggle so the unemployment figures will only worsen in the next year or so, I would imagine. It's market forces. The high street has been in decline for at least a decade : the pandemic has only accelerated its death.
Who knows what the landscape will be in a post-capitalist economy ?

More people working from home.
More people growing their own food.
More people working fewer hours.
More people using bikes.
More people recycling.
More people working part-time and longer in life.
More empty town centre units which presumably will be redeveloped into housing, green spaces or leisure facilities.

I don't know .. this is all conjecture on my part.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Okay as I’ve said many times on here I’m not a political animal, never have & never will be. However I have to wear a mask to shop but don’t have to wear one in a pub or restaurant ( I appreciate drinking a pint whilst wearing a mask would be difficult :D ) So I hope I’ve got this right I walk into Tesco’s without a mask & some member of staff ( probably on minimum wages ) asks me to wear a mask what happens if I say no ? Who going to fine me £100 ?
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

NottinghamWhite wrote:So now you have to wear a mask whilst shopping, why weren’t measures brought In when the pandemic was at its height ?
:thumbup:

I nearly laughed the other day when a raid was being carried out on a, I think, clothes maker in Leicester due to the increased Covid problems they've had in the city. None of the investigators that i could see were wearing masks.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Careful.
It would be really easy for an EPOS system (till software) to be updated to include a "No Mask Worn" button.
As almost all shop payments are no longer cash based, if you pay by card or phone you could be traced and fined retrospectively.

The cashier would just need to hit the button during the transaction and it would be linked to your debit/credit card or mobile and backed up by CCTV in most cases. It's just then a matter of time.

I don't honestly see what the problem is wearing a mask. I still wear mine when grocery shopping.
I have three washable ones and a few paper jobbies too.

As an ex-retail worker, I totally feel for the people in that industry. It's bad enough having to deal with the public as it is without the thought of them potentially transmitting the virus as well.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

I don’t have a problem wearing a mask, in fact my wife thinks it’s an improvement :roll: I go for a walk most mornings around 05:30 & other than cars don’t see anyone but still wear a mask. Sadly there are those out there that will blatantly break the rule as the have with stock piling ( nothing illegal but the selfish attitude I’m talking about ) , demonstrations, raves, days on the beach & not maintaining a social distance. It’s only a matter of time before we have a second wave imho.