Foreign Languages

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Foreign Languages

Post by Barlow Boy »

Great post MW, I suppose if you’re effectively forced down the route of learning a language, it just has to be done. As you say, you’ll never lose it either speaking it regularly.

On Duolingo, the subjects that you’ve already learnt ‘crack’, which means you have to go back and learn those words again. It forces you to practice, but it is very difficult when you are also trying to learn new words. As mentioned above, I can read sentences quite well, as I tend to ignore the odd word thrown in, so I can get a good gist of what the sentence is saying and 9/10 I know it.

When it comes to writing a sentence of my own though I find it very tricky, I tend to miss out a small word here and there (see above). Only yesterday, ‘del cafe’ appeared on Duolingo, I can’t remember in what context now, bu it was the first time I’d seen it and it threw me a bit.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Used to use Duolingo myself quite a bit and thought it was a great site. Giving me the urge to get back into now :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Davycc wrote:Used to use Duolingo myself quite a bit and thought it was a great site. Giving me the urge to get back into now :thumbup:
Yeah, it is very good, sometimes frustrating as it doesn’t explain things very well for me which is why I also use the CD’s.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Ok my Spanish friends, can someone explain this please.

Sometimes, on Duolingo, our word for ‘you’ is sometimes translated into ‘Tu’ or ‘Usted’ or even ‘Ustedes’. Does anyone know the difference between the three words please ?
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

I think tu is the informal version as you would speak to friends or family and usted is the formal version.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:Ok my Spanish friends, can someone explain this please.

Sometimes, on Duolingo, our word for ‘you’ is sometimes translated into ‘Tu’ or ‘Usted’ or even ‘Ustedes’. Does anyone know the difference between the three words please ?
OK BB here is my take on this. 'Tu' is the informal version of 'you' so to be used with friends and family. In Spain when people meet they typically use the 'tu' version as it is regarded as more friendly, relaxed, informal etc. However if there is an obvious age gap then it's good manners/respectful to address the elder person as 'usted' until told otherwise. Similarly if you are in a business situation it's normal to address eg your customer as usted or if you are in a meeting with a number of people 'ustedes'.

Perhaps revisit the exercises and see if my rationale fits??
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Thanks gents, that’s brilliant and makes complete sense now. It’s impossible for me to differentiate on Duolingo, of course, as I’ve no idea if I’m taking to friends or otherwise, no wonder I was confused.

Thanks again guys :thumbup:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I only know two words of Spanish: tu and usted. Can't remember where I learned them. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

johnh wrote:I only know two words of Spanish: tu and usted. Can't remember where I learned them. :D
Keep tuning in Sir John, there will be more words to learn (if Davy and MW are willing anyway) :D
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Perhaps one for Davy or MW (more than happy to receive help from others :D)

On Duolingo, in the past I would simply put the name of someone before whatever it is they did, but Duolingo has now started putting an ‘A’ in front of the name, and then a ‘te’ or ‘le’ before whatever it is. For example...........

Previously... Howard encanta futbol

Now... A Howard te encanta futbol

Also, sometimes, ‘al’ is put before football.

Any ideas gents ?