Supplements

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Supplements

Post by LAsouthcoast »

I feel i`m pretty lucky in the fact that at 64 the only medication i take is my Asthma inhaler, however i do take cod liver oil every day which i feel has been a benefit over the years, just wondering what anyone else takes that they feel is good for themselves.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Supplements

Post by mapperleywhite »

I'm still in touch with my girlfriend from Uni days - she and Mrs MW get on fine :lol: - who has had a career as a dietician. She is very clear there should be more public awareness about vitamin D; there isn't a food that can provide you sufficient of it in a normal diet and, because of the lack of sunshine in the UK, our bodies don't generate it naturally. Apparently it's important for preventing brittle bones, especially as you get older.

We got packs of 60 tablets for £1. Well worth it.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Done a bit of study on Supplements and MW is giving good advice with regards we all should think about whether we get enough Vit D.

You don't need to much though and of course it varies from person to person with regards to whether supplements are right for you.

Lifestyles have changed nowadays and far more people spend time indoors, in the office, in the car, in the gym rather than in the fields, on the bike or having a walk or run.
I believe modern lifestyles are very much related to lots of illnesses and lack of Vit D to boost the immune system is very significant.

You actually don't need that nuch Vit D a couple of hours outside every day is ample and it doesn't need to be sunny you will still get the suns rays on a cloudy day. However in winter we all dress up to go out covering most of our skin and the suns rays don't penetrate clothing. Hence with little skin showing we need to spend longer outside in winter than summer. We all laugh at those in short sleeved shirts and shorts in winter but maybe they are the smart ones.

Personally I don't do Vit D but am outside a lot either jobs in the garden of long walks so feel get enough, lots of people arn't out for long periods.

Also believe you need to know what you are prone to and LA suggests fish oils which are excellent allrounders and help things such as stiff joints. Also help the immune system.

If you have joint issues such as worn cartilage I can recommend Glucosamine Sulphate, lots of Sports people take it helps recovering any damage.

Currently the only one I take is Vitamin C (with rosehip) as I'm prone to joint infections and they are natural anti-inflammatories, good thing about Vit C is unlike many supplements you can't overdo it. Your body can cope with any amount without issue.

Mrs SW sometimes gets cramps and find Magnesian is good (along with Sports drinks and Bananas).

Only thing I'd suggest is be careful with quantities, some supplements too much can have a reverse effect.
Also don't expect miracle cures they will help but lifestyle & diet are the key to better health.

Good subject though as a few of us at a age where these things can be beneficial.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Selby White wrote:Done a bit of study on Supplements and MW is giving good advice with regards we all should think about whether we get enough Vit D.

You don't need to much though and of course it varies from person to person with regards to whether supplements are right for you.

Lifestyles have changed nowadays and far more people spend time indoors, in the office, in the car, in the gym rather than in the fields, on the bike or having a walk or run.
I believe modern lifestyles are very much related to lots of illnesses and lack of Vit D to boost the immune system is very significant.

You actually don't need that nuch Vit D a couple of hours outside every day is ample and it doesn't need to be sunny you will still get the suns rays on a cloudy day. However in winter we all dress up to go out covering most of our skin and the suns rays don't penetrate clothing. Hence with little skin showing we need to spend longer outside in winter than summer. We all laugh at those in short sleeved shirts and shorts in winter but maybe they are the smart ones.

Personally I don't do Vit D but am outside a lot either jobs in the garden of long walks so feel get enough, lots of people arn't out for long periods.

Also believe you need to know what you are prone to and LA suggests fish oils which are excellent allrounders and help things such as stiff joints. Also help the immune system.

If you have joint issues such as worn cartilage I can recommend Glucosamine Sulphate, lots of Sports people take it helps recovering any damage.

Currently the only one I take is Vitamin C (with rosehip) as I'm prone to joint infections and they are natural anti-inflammatories, good thing about Vit C is unlike many supplements you can't overdo it. Your body can cope with any amount without issue.

Mrs SW sometimes gets cramps and find Magnesian is good (along with Sports drinks and Bananas).

Only thing I'd suggest is be careful with quantities, some supplements too much can have a reverse effect.
Also don't expect miracle cures they will help but lifestyle & diet are the key to better health.

Good subject though as a few of us at a age where these things can be beneficial.
SW - hadn't appreciated the benefits to the immune system as well (remember now there was some talk last year about vitamin D helping to counteract covid)

The reason we both started talking it was upon advice from our GP who, I'm fairly sure, could tell we were deficient following results of blood tests.

Another comment would be don't go paying out for stuff from Holland and Barrett they are just a rip off. Mrs MW bought some and I put my chemistry hat and saw that the vast majority of the composition was calcium carbonate - so chalk! It's disgraceful that companies can get away that kind of thing. Duly returned and refunded :lol:
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....