LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The blabla of the forum

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:We've decided to move into the "Green World" :shock:

Ordered our next car which will be Electric :crazy:
Up to 6 month delivery.

Always enjoyed Scalextric as a kid :D

Anyone drive Electric on here ?
No chance, not unti the infrastructure is all in place.

The tales of woe I hear from DLW when he’s travelling to games, I don’t think I’ll get one until I am absolutely forced into it.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:

Up to 6 month delivery.

The tales of woe I hear from DLW when he’s travelling to games, I don’t think I’ll get one until I am absolutely forced into it.
Was our worry but have been looking at our needs, furthest we drive for the most part nowadays is to Cathy's sons (about 160 mile) and the car we are going for is rated for 300 mile on a full charge. They are on electric so have a socket we could use to top up.
OK we may do a very occasional longer trip now covid isn't causing restrictions but think we can find charging points with planning. Basically get a app on your phone that tells you where they are and if in use.

We were planning to take the plunge further down the line but been doing the calculations and it seems to make economical sense.

What sort of mileage does DLW get on a full charge?

We have chosen a bigger battery to get extra miles, could have got same car but a 190mile rated battery.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

I drive an electric Renault Zoe for work. A full charge gets 230 miles and it's surprisingly nippy. It's the van variant and is laden down with track and safety gear so as a car I think it would be even better. If it was solely for personal use and I could charge at home I'd have one tomorrow. For work purposes it's not ideal but Translink are very green orientated.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

For part of a consulting project last year I did a study of the deamnd for lubricants by EV's (not a lot). But I did pick up a couple of interesting/useful facts:

1. The earliest EV's (eg Leaf) relied on the flow of air under the car to cool the battery - the cooler the battery is kept the better it keeps its charge and the longer it lasts. In between times an antifreeze type solution of glycol and water was emplyed. The latest development is using what is called a dielectric oil, or transformer oil, which can be deployed inside the battery so the cooling is very effective, Cars using this system are coming onto the market; I know BMW have some models.

2. There's a company in the US that is doing battery development and claims it will have an 800 mile range version available that charges in a few minutes in 2023. Toyota have are making a similar claim. I'd hang fire if you were thinking of purchasing.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Barlow Boy wrote:

Up to 6 month delivery.

Same here. Always hear people who have them complain about them.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

mapperleywhite wrote: 2. There's a company in the US that is doing battery development and claims it will have an 800 mile range version available that charges in a few minutes in 2023. Toyota have are making a similar claim. I'd hang fire if you were thinking of purchasing.
Think it's like most technology in that it's evolving all the time.
We are going to lease as it makes economical sense so further up the line we will be changing for improved versions. For the record I've never leased before always bought but never new, so two firsts.
We've been paying for our new kitchen monthly (interest free deal) and the the car lease is only a slightly higher amount so know we can afford taking that amount each month (kitchen paid up soon).

As I said earlier the car we are going for is rated for 300 mile on a full charge and that suits our uses, be very rare we need to charge away from home.
The actual charger network is growing at a rapid rate, confident on that if needed.
Part of our deal is installation of a 7.5kw charge socket at home, that would charge the car overnight from flat to full, not that we would let it go flat.
Cost wise I've calculated a £1,500 saving per year (electric v diesil) along with no MOTs for 3 years and service costs much cheaper.
The lease company are throwing in first years insurance.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Ordered a item from Amazon on Saturday said item arrived yesterday & was damaged so I filled in an online form & was sent a code by email. At lunchtime I took the item to a collection point ( a local garage just a few hundred yards from home) everything was done electronically in a couple of minutes. Just had an email telling me a refund was getting sent to my account. Was impressed by how easy things were everything as so smooth & professional the whole thing was .

Well done Amazon :clap:
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Mrs SW has a hospital appointment in York this afternoon so to make a day of it visited Beningbrough Hall this morning (followed by a Pub lunch). .
The main house we knew was closed for a refurb but loved strolling around the marvellous gardens.
We will visit again.

Of course making use of our recently purchased National Trust membership :D
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Just popped to our local bakers Birds they do lovely little cobs & pork pies. So I’m stood there & women who were having coffee decided they wanted bacon/sausage sandwiches. They barge past me to place their order & as they get to the counter I say excuse me. Oh are you in a queue they pipe up my reply well if one person constitutes a queue then I am that. So they turn round & stand behind me giving me a few stares I’m sure. Bloody rude folk I can’t abide ‘em.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Ordered a item from Amazon on Saturday said item arrived yesterday & was damaged so I filled in an online form & was sent a code by email. At lunchtime I took the item to a collection point ( a local garage just a few hundred yards from home) everything was done electronically in a couple of minutes. Just had an email telling me a refund was getting sent to my account. Was impressed by how easy things were everything as so smooth & professional the whole thing was .

Well done Amazon :clap:
Our local Tesco express a couple of minutes walk, if that are now a drop off point.