I remember that/those

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
yorkfan
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: I remember that/those

Post by yorkfan »

Remember when the only burger you could get on the high street came from Wimpy?

Maybe childhood memory playing tricks, but I recall them being much tastier than today's offerings from Burger King, MacDonalds, or any of the others.

Edit : The so-called gourmet burger hadn't even been thought of, when I was a boy.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

yorkfan wrote:Remember when the only burger you could get on the high street came from Wimpy?

Maybe childhood memory playing tricks, but I recall them being much tastier than today's offerings from Burger King, MacDonalds, or any of the others.
Apparently there are still 65 Wimpy restaurants still operating my nearest is at a town called Milford in Staffordshire. Honestly thought they’d gone out of existence.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

In the days of £1 notes a group of us used to pool together our pocket money and get a £5 note and a £1 if we could scrap enough for a £10 note even better. One of us would go into the shop with the £5 or £10 note with a corner tore off it. He'd buy something cheap and get the change and leave. A few minutes later someone else would go in and buy something with the £1 note. When they were given change of the £1 they said they paid with a £10er and showed the torn off piece they had from the note. Usually got the change for a £10er and away we went but sometimes it backfired lol
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
CheeznOnionPasty
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CheeznOnionPasty »

Vinyl and cassettes.

I love the convenience of digital music but I miss the touch and feel and sound of the old media. Leafing through a stack of vinyls is an entirely different experience to scrolling through your files on the computer or exchanging Spotify playlists.

I used to sit and listen to the top 40 on radio one, trying to hit record on the tape deck the second the DJ finished talking and then hit stop just before he started again, then listening to the top 40 on my walkman on the school bus during the week.
Metro1962
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Metro1962 »

yorkfan wrote:Remember when the only burger you could get on the high street came from Wimpy?

Edit : The so-called gourmet burger hadn't even been thought of, when I was a boy.
They use to sell Knickerbocker glorys but not now due to the PC brigade I believe they call them sundaes now.:-(
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by cheffy007 »

I remember school holidays in the seventies, out of the house by 8, popped back in for a buttie at dinner time and then in for your tea at around 5ish, then back out until dusk. For some reason I never remember it raining for the full 7 weeks. Happy days.
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

CheeznOnionPasty wrote:Vinyl and cassettes.

I love the convenience of digital music but I miss the touch and feel and sound of the old media. Leafing through a stack of vinyls is an entirely different experience to scrolling through your files on the computer or exchanging Spotify playlists.

I used to sit and listen to the top 40 on radio one, trying to hit record on the tape deck the second the DJ finished talking and then hit stop just before he started again, then listening to the top 40 on my walkman on the school bus during the week.
Have loads of vinyl albums that had sat not getting played for a long time so treated myself to a turntable 2 or 3 years back :thumbup:

Lots of CDs also but still play them when in the house, radio in morning, record collection (CD or vinyl) other times.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

cheffy007 wrote:I remember school holidays in the seventies, out of the house by 8, popped back in for a buttie at dinner time and then in for your tea at around 5ish, then back out until dusk. For some reason I never remember it raining for the full 7 weeks. Happy days.

Back in the day there really did appear to be 4 defined seasons unless it’s all a dream but the summers were hot and the winters severe. Now you struggle to know what season you’re in.
Winner of the Europa League
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Now you struggle to know what season you’re in.
Sometimes it's a struggle to remember what day it is. :roll:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
cheffy007 wrote:I remember school holidays in the seventies, out of the house by 8, popped back in for a buttie at dinner time and then in for your tea at around 5ish, then back out until dusk. For some reason I never remember it raining for the full 7 weeks. Happy days.

Back in the day there really did appear to be 4 defined seasons unless it’s all a dream but the summers were hot and the winters severe. Now you struggle to know what season you’re in.
And it always rained when we visited Ayresome Park and stood in that open corner.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.