I remember that/those

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Saxon
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: I remember that/those

Post by Saxon »

Tetley's mild, 11d a pint, that's pennies, would be just a bit less than 5p.
That was in the Wagon & Horses on Elland Road, about 1/2 mile before the ground on right side coming from town, last time I was in Leeds it was called 'United Bar'. Was nearest pub to my Dad's house, Landlord wasn't too bothered about your age. We used to joke about him dusting the pies which nobody bought, getting them ready for the fans when there was a game.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I remember back in 1971 & beer was 10d a pint that was for Strongarm bitter, used to love beer but can’t drink it these days sadly but I do miss a decent pint. This got me thinking to the mid 70’s & I’d been working away & when I got home I took my mum & dad out for a bar meal. My mother ordered scampi & chips & I asked my dad what he would like & he looked at my mother & said I’ll have chicken & chips not that foreign muck your mother has ordered :lol: the food used to come in baskets & we used to think it was the height of sophistication ;) There was only a few pubs where you could get food then unlike now where most if not all pubs rely on food sales more than drink sales.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Saxon wrote: That was in the Wagon & Horses on Elland Road, about 1/2 mile before the ground .
Ex service crew pub last time I went in there it was the United bar. Used to get a couple of Chinese lads in on match days selling dodgy DVD’s in all fairness they were of a very good quality. Just down the road heading towards the ground was a very good fish & chip shop from memory.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Saxon wrote: That was in the Wagon & Horses on Elland Road, about 1/2 mile before the ground .
Ex service crew pub last time I went in there it was the United bar. Used to get a couple of Chinese lads in on match days selling dodgy DVD’s in all fairness they were of a very good quality. Just down the road heading towards the ground was a very good fish & chip shop from memory.
Walked by on way to the ground at end of last season and it's closed down and looks like getting a full renovation. Doubt it will be a Pub when it reopens although the "United Bar" sign was still hanging from the wall.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

We had a meet in the United there was myself, Bogdan, Sheepy, MapleWhite, Cadillac Jukebox, Pock White & +15 I think it was midweek against Preston when we lost 6-4 was it 2010 :roll: I remember we were 4-1 up but a big John Parkin hat trick gave the visitors an unbelievable victory. Coz ( MapleWhite) flew in from Calgary just for the game I met him in Spoons at the station in the afternoon. Apologies if anyone else was there & I’ve forgotten them, old age :lol:

This has prompted me to remember a couple of years later when the score was Leeds United 3 Nottingham Forest 7 another midweek debacle. Took months to live that score down :twisted: