The movie thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Re: The movie thread

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I went to the cinema to see the new Transformers film last night.

I loved the first one, enjoyed the second but was a bit bored by the third - too much CGI, not much plot and no reason to root for the good guys plus it had WAY too much wobbly camera stuff going on.

I'm happy to report that with Mark Wahlberg and Kelsey Grammar in leading roles there's a lot of storyline - too much for my mate, actually - and some real character development. It's an excellent storyline and the pacing of the movie means when there is some action you really relish it.

One of the best action movies I've seen in many a year: 7.5/10
Holt Park Loyal
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Holt Park Loyal »

rigger wrote:I went to the cinema to see the new Transformers film last night.

I loved the first one, enjoyed the second but was a bit bored by the third - too much CGI, not much plot and no reason to root for the good guys plus it had WAY too much wobbly camera stuff going on.

I'm happy to report that with Mark Wahlberg and Kelsey Grammar in leading roles there's a lot of storyline - too much for my mate, actually - and some real character development. It's an excellent storyline and the pacing of the movie means when there is some action you really relish it.

One of the best action movies I've seen in many a year: 7.5/10
Been enjoying a lot of his work over the last few years, Lone Survivor, Fighter, Contraband, Ted, Pain and Gain all excellent
Deleted User 728

I'm off again tonight, to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
I've got one of those unlimited tickets as I missed quite a few movies earlier in the year. My mate Alex has had one for a while and we go together now, on a Monday - not much else to do on that day, is there ?
It's £16 per month on a rolling basis and after a year you get 10% the drinks and snacks, etc.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Actually got round to watching 12 years a slave last night. Very harrowing & it's hard to say it was enjoyable but enthralling.
Winner of the Europa League
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Actually got round to watching 12 years a slave last night. Very harrowing & it's hard to say it was enjoyable but enthralling.
Mrs W and I went to see it at the cinema when it first came out. I have to say i was disappointed. It was one of those films where you really knew exactly what was going to happen at every point of the movie. then there were those really long interludes where they just lingered on someone;s face while they were thinking with music playing on the soundtrack and they seemed to me to go on forever! Could have made the film about half an hour shorter!
The Johnson
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by The Johnson »

rigger wrote:I'm off again tonight, to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.
I've got one of those unlimited tickets as I missed quite a few movies earlier in the year. My mate Alex has had one for a while and we go together now, on a Monday - not much else to do on that day, is there ?
It's £16 per month on a rolling basis and after a year you get 10% the drinks and snacks, etc.
I went and saw that on the weekend. Incredible film. So well done, and amazing amount of development of both the human and ape characters. I couldn't believe how much I cared by the end. Highly Recommended.
Deleted User 728

Yep, I agree with all of that, TJ.
I watched "The Rise Of .." over the weekend to get in the mood (and the Mark Wahlberg one AND King Kong last week too).

The Dawn Of ... follows on directly from the last one, right from the opening credits.
It's actually a beautiful film to watch and one of the finest I've ever seen in terms of SFX. I think there were only a couple of moments when I thought about CGI - the rest of the time it never even entered my mind.

I don't want to spoil anything but there's a couple of moments when my jaw dropped.

I'd thoroughly recommend it for any sci-fi/fantasy/action fans :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Saw Rise... on Saturday and saw Dawn... yesterday. Both great films and real thinkers. After studying media at GCSE every time I see a film or watch a TV show I start thinking about the mis-en-scene, very annoying. I was a waterfall when one thought a certain protagonist was dead.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 728

SiMamu wrote:Saw Rise... on Saturday and saw Dawn... yesterday. Both great films and real thinkers. After studying media at GCSE every time I see a film or watch a TV show I start thinking about the mis-en-scene, very annoying. I was a waterfall when one thought a certain protagonist was dead.
I had to read that last bit a couple of times to understand what you meant there, but I get it now.
It was moving, definitely ...
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Koba though...
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."