The Book Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deebo
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: The Book Thread

Post by Deebo »

Barlow Boy wrote:
onenorthernsoul wrote:
johnh wrote:My son just sent me a book 'The Last Champions' by Dave Simpson. It is about LU during the Wilkinson era. My son heard it reviewed on a radio programme and it got a good review. Haven't started it yet, has anyone read it?
I do have it but haven't had chance to read it. I would be very surprised if it's not a great read though John.
Currently in the middle of this one, just read the chapter regarding Alan Sutton.

Some really interesting stories being told from the players point of view, and it is well told by the author. Looking forward to reading the remainder.

One of the best books written on Leeds United, if you want insite into the Sgt Wilko era, here it all is.

The chapter on Alan Sutton has particular resonance for me, as his daughter lives in Australia, and on one of his visits, he was our guest of honour at our regional Member's club in Sydney. Top bloke, and just as the chapter describes him, talks a mile a minute, and full of anecdotes about his 25 years at Leeds United. He ran a Leeds quiz for us (which fellow LUFCtalk member Mr Russell smashed). On top of all that, he brought two signed shirts over. One was the whole Squad at the time, the other a fully signed shirt from Lucas Radebe's testimonial. We auctioned them, and on the night we raised $!200 to send to the Revie Statue appeal. Legend.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Deebo wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
onenorthernsoul wrote:
johnh wrote:My son just sent me a book 'The Last Champions' by Dave Simpson. It is about LU during the Wilkinson era. My son heard it reviewed on a radio programme and it got a good review. Haven't started it yet, has anyone read it?
I do have it but haven't had chance to read it. I would be very surprised if it's not a great read though John.
Currently in the middle of this one, just read the chapter regarding Alan Sutton.

Some really interesting stories being told from the players point of view, and it is well told by the author. Looking forward to reading the remainder.

One of the best books written on Leeds United, if you want insite into the Sgt Wilko era, here it all is.

The chapter on Alan Sutton has particular resonance for me, as his daughter lives in Australia, and on one of his visits, he was our guest of honour at our regional Member's club in Sydney. Top bloke, and just as the chapter describes him, talks a mile a minute, and full of anecdotes about his 25 years at Leeds United. He ran a Leeds quiz for us (which fellow LUFCtalk member Mr Russell smashed). On top of all that, he brought two signed shirts over. One was the whole Squad at the time, the other a fully signed shirt from Lucas Radebe's testimonial. We auctioned them, and on the night we raised $!200 to send to the Revie Statue appeal. Legend.
Totally agree with what Deebo said there, he was a real pleasure to meet and he had some many great stories from his time at Leeds, in fact if he ever did write a book it would go for thousands of pages. Top man (just like ths shirts ;) )
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Started reading the third part of the Jeffery Archer series The Clifton Chronicles on holiday and just couldn't continue it. Shame because the first 2 books were a good yarn but with 5 books in the series can't see me getting any farther.
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Son got me a book 'Yorkshire Football - A History' by Cameron Fleming. I am about half-way through and have reached the 1930's.
Very interesting, but given the size of the subject it inevitably condenses issues. Sometimes you wish the author had expanded some points. However, its a very good read and gives a good insight into how football developed in Yorkshire. For those who didn't know (like me) it all started in Barnsley! :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Just finished, literally, Leeds United Fiasco by Mr David Watkins.

Absolutely brilliant, really, really enjoyed it - took to reading a chapter every evening so as not to get through it too quickly.

Hilarious in several parts, the ball onto the table of beers at Leicester, the shenanigans of trying to book the Newcastle cup tickets whilst holidaying in Barcelona, the endless tales of fun and laughter with the Leeds fans (my personal favourite being the conga with the words changed to "you're getting on the wrong train") but the top prize for both me and Mrs Barlow goes to the embarrassment of pulling in behind cars, not understanding why the cars are not moving until realizing there is actually no-one in the drivers seat - absolute classic :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:. These are just a taster, there are several more in the book.

Informative in other parts, historical information on previous encounters between the two sides, the tribulations or otherwise of the opposition, and of course Leeds United Football Club. Oh, and there is always enough information on where and what to drink :D .

There are one or two touching bits too, the minutes silence for Ann McGuire, the last post ringing out round ER spring to mind and some memorable dates which clearly mean a lot.

Overall though, it is the story of the games, told in a very readable format, which makes the book so enjoyable along with the banter of the lads and lasses who attend. I am lucky enough to know several of those detailed within the book, (myself and Barlow Junior get several mentions :wave:) and I cannot wait to get going again at the Dundee friendly.

Thanks a lot Dave, great stuff :clap: :clap: :clap:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

The cheque is in the post Kev!!!!!!!!Seriously, knowing that folk enjoy reading the books is what keeps me writing. A complete stranger at Guiseley stopped me to shake hands and to say he'd just read Fiasco and enjoyed it. After a while I said "How did you recognise me?" He said "Are you joking?" and just pointed to my hair!!!!!Just setting off for the Grand Prix trip now but will be back net Wednesday to start in earnest on book five....surely this is the one that ends in promotion?
__chris__
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by __chris__ »

Currently working through the Jack Reacher series by Lee Childs.
Decently written stuff, ideal for summer poolside relaxing
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

__chris__ wrote:Currently working through the Jack Reacher series by Lee Childs.

It's hard to believe that Tom Cruise played him in the movie :wtf:
Winner of the Europa League
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

I have just finished a terrific read, 'No Hiding Place' by Joseph Finder.
1st one of his that I've read, but I was so taken with it, that I've just started another of his 'Paranoia'. :thumbup:
dskimcbski
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by dskimcbski »

Has anybody else read Linwood Barclay? Finished two books whilst on holidays there. Fantastic reading. Un-put-downable.!! Also enjoy Dean Koontz. :thumbup:
'I'd rather be hated for being who I am, than loved for being someone I'm not'.