Where is everyone ?

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Re: Where is everyone ?

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I'm 99% gonna hand in my notice on my return, mate.

I'm sick of the place and had a massive row with my boss a couple of weeks ago. We always got on brilliantly, but we've got a new CEO and he's become a right ****, making out he's the man and pushing everyone around. He's trying to ingratiate himself with the new chief, but in return he's rubbing ALL his own staff up the wrong way. He's a bully, period. He's never done it to me - he's about ten years older than me and we've always been frank with each other and use industrial language at each other, too - and my dept has always been flying anyway, so he had no need to. Unfortunately, we made a bit of a disappointing start to the year so now he's cracking the whip.
I don't know about you, but I don't work like that. I'm the classic "arm round the shoulder" player, not the one who'll respond better to a bollocking.
I need love not a boot up my arse :D

The only question is, do I burn my bridges when I leave by actually telling it like it is in my exit interview, or do I just say I'm moving on and leave it at that, so I can get a reference off him should I need one ?

I've got some thinking to do, but I'm not gonna let it bug me now.
He's on leave himself and won't be back till after I return so I'll see how he is when he comes back. If he's still being a knob about everything, then I'll probably stitch him up because I don't think it's right. Two people have already left because of his (lack of) management.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Reading the above makes me glad I'm not working anymore. The only downside is finances I'm not able or should I say I wasn't able to get any kind of dole money as I had too much savings. After 20 months those savings have reduced drastically so I'm going to give it another go next week. It really does hack me off that after contributing for 45 years I can't get a dime.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:I'm 99% gonna hand in my notice on my return, mate.

I'm sick of the place and had a massive row with my boss a couple of weeks ago. We always got on brilliantly, but we've got a new CEO and he's become a right ****, making out he's the man and pushing everyone around. He's trying to ingratiate himself with the new chief, but in return he's rubbing ALL his own staff up the wrong way. He's a bully, period. He's never done it to me - he's about ten years older than me and we've always been frank with each other and use industrial language at each other, too - and my dept has always been flying anyway, so he had no need to. Unfortunately, we made a bit of a disappointing start to the year so now he's cracking the whip.
I don't know about you, but I don't work like that. I'm the classic "arm round the shoulder" player, not the one who'll respond better to a bollocking.
I need love not a boot up my arse :D

The only question is, do I burn my bridges when I leave by actually telling it like it is in my exit interview, or do I just say I'm moving on and leave it at that, so I can get a reference off him should I need one ?

I've got some thinking to do, but I'm not gonna let it bug me now.
He's on leave himself and won't be back till after I return so I'll see how he is when he comes back. If he's still being a knob about everything, then I'll probably stitch him up because I don't think it's right. Two people have already left because of his (lack of) management.
Reminds me of a bloke I once worked for, its no fun thats for sure.
Tell him what you think, it'll stick his ego right where the sun don't shine.

Do you have annual appraisals ?
If yes, save it all up until then, it'll get documented and higher management will see it.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Funnily enough, that's one of the weapons I can use against him: we SHOULD have them but I haven't had one this year and it's months overdue.
Also, I am supposed to have a monthly 1:1 with him. In the past, he'd let them slip and I always took that as a compliment, but given they're part of his own job description and obviously a management tool, the fact I've had none for six months combined with no appraisal makes him look particularly slack in terms of his person management (and yes I deliberately used the PC term !).
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Rigger
Bit of advice from an old hand. :D Don't burn your boats for the sake of short-term satisfaction. Just leave with your dignity intact.
I was once in the same position, a boss I didn't like. Got another job and as my boss was away I left my resignation letter on his desk.
I thought about giving him a piece of my mind when he returned but decided it wasn't worth it. A few days later, my boss's boss called me in, told me he didn't want me to go and made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Now this may be unlikely in your case but who knows what may happen down the line. Also, people talk, word gets around and its always better to have friends than enemies.
Really hope everything goes well for you.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Thanks, John.
Really appreciate what you said :thumbup:

I think you're right, and actually it'll be enough just to see his face, especially if I'm really nice about it, saying what a joy it was to work with him :D

I love being so polite that people just can't tell you're being sarcastic :lolno:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

:thumbup:
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Good advice from Sir John here, don't burn your bridges pal.

Everyone gets sick of their job at one time or another, I have made no secret of my dissatisfaction with my own job on here, and actually had a meeting with the MD on Tuesday, with all intentions on handing my ticket in. I ended up walking out with a new Directorship position, with more responsibility, and effectively a new challenge. Now either my boss did a very good job of selling the position (possibly), or I am a bit thick (I aren't), or actually deep down I actually like the job and have just had a bit of a downer on it.

I have no mortgage, own my car outright, and have a good few quid in the bank so could retire tomorrow if I wanted, but I also have a cracking pension scheme (16% non-contributory), so that's my focus now in addition to a trust fund I have to set up for Barlow Junior to get him a deposit for a house when he is ready (Don't tell him that DLW :shh:). I am going to see where I am at the end of January, once I get paid my 2014 bonus, and go from there.

I cannot remember the percentage stats Rigger, but it's frightening how much of your life is spent in work and if you don't enjoy it then just jack it in - life is too short mate.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

Barlow Boy wrote:Good advice from Sir John here, don't burn your bridges pal.

Everyone gets sick of their job at one time or another, I have made no secret of my dissatisfaction with my own job on here, and actually had a meeting with the MD on Tuesday, with all intentions on handing my ticket in. I ended up walking out with a new Directorship position, with more responsibility, and effectively a new challenge. Now either my boss did a very good job of selling the position (possibly), or I am a bit thick (I aren't), or actually deep down I actually like the job and have just had a bit of a downer on it.

I have no mortgage, own my car outright, and have a good few quid in the bank so could retire tomorrow if I wanted, but I also have a cracking pension scheme (16% non-contributory), so that's my focus now in addition to a trust fund I have to set up for Barlow Junior to get him a deposit for a house when he is ready (Don't tell him that DLW :shh:). I am going to see where I am at the end of January, once I get paid my 2014 bonus, and go from there.

I cannot remember the percentage stats Rigger, but it's frightening how much of your life is spent in work and if you don't enjoy it then just jack it in - life is too short mate.
I had a feeling you were perhaps thinking of going far too early! Think you are making the right call there.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

Barlow Boy wrote:I cannot remember the percentage stats Rigger, but it's frightening how much of your life is spent in work and if you don't enjoy it then just jack it in - life is too short mate.
Exactly, as a few of you know, I lost my job in July, avoided going straight back into another print site and started on mi todd, I don't make as much, but I'm home 70% of the time, my own boss and so far enjoying it.

I might one day have to get a real job again, but while I can do my own thing and enjoy doing it I'm gonna, life is for living!