Rediscovering "lost" albums .. or ones you'd forgotten about

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Rediscovering "lost" albums .. or ones you'd forgotten about

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I've been listening to John Lee Hooker's 1989 album The Healer a lot this week.

It was astonishing at the time because the blues legend was 72 when it was released and it was more than a little unusual to find anyone from that era (pre-rock n roll, pre TOTP, let alone pre-MTV) in the studio.

He enlisted the help of a few more contemporary stars to help with the recording - including Carlos Santana, Bonnie Raitt and Robert Cray - and to lend some credibility to its release, in much the same way Santana himself would do with his own "reboot LP" a decade later, the excellent Supernatural.

The result is stunning.

I hadn't heard it for well over ten years but something happened this week to remind me of it when I was asked if I'd ever been to the Hammersmith Odeon and I replied that I had but it was ages ago when I saw John Lee Hooker ... in fact, he was 76 when I saw him and he had me on my feet and dancing for well over an hour. The band was tight, the crowd was up for it and it was one of those nights you know you'll never experience again : a bona fide living legend in the room, playing for you.

I had an American girlfriend several years ago who saw Elvis live when she was about 6 years old.
My own comparison was that at the same age, my parents took me to see Dick Emery on stage.

Not quite the same is it ? :D

Has anyone else got any gems they've rediscovered recently ??

Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Rediscovering "lost" albums .. or ones you'd forgotten a

Post by Selby White »

Not heard this album but am a big Blues fan nowadays and have John Lee Hookers greatest hits album "Legend - The best of" (in fact going to play it right now :thumbup: ).

Among those mentioned saw Robert Cray Live about 3 or 4 years ago, superb concert was that and really like some of Bonnie Raits stuff.

And when i was a sprog my parents took me to see Des O'Connor & Lulu.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

In Leeds Odeon on the Headrow, about 1958, I saw 'live' Modern Jazz Quartet, Ella Fitzgerald, Oscar Petersen, Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, Roy Eldridge, Those were the days.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

johnh wrote:In Leeds Odeon on the Headrow, about 1958, I saw 'live' Modern Jazz Quartet, Ella Fitzgerald, Oscar Petersen, Louis Armstrong, Dizzy Gillespie, Roy Eldridge, Those were the days.
Wow ... my mum and dad saw Ella in Southampton in the same year, but with the Duke Ellington Orchestra. Your line-up sounds even better ! :clap:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Rigger, I think you may be right that it was Duke Ellington. Probably the same tour. I thought it was Louis Armstrong because Dizzy Gillespie played for him. I contacted my brother, who was with me at the Odeon, but he just complicated things by suggesting it was Count Basie! Great Memories, if somewhat fragmented. :?
I once played against Don Revie.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

My ex-wife had that album, Rigger, and it's excellent. Just about the only thing she and I had in common was a love of Blues music. We went to see John Mayall and Peter Green (British Blues legends for those not aware) at Salisbury's City Hall about 10 years ago. Mayall would have been a similar vintage then to John Lee Hooker when you saw him. It was a fantastic night.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

I've been listening to the strokes first album a lot recently, one of my absolute favourites. Makes me feel 21 again. If only
Get the kettle on
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Get the kettle on »

Growing up in the 80's i listened to a lot of Ultravox. I loved collecting vinyls as i got into my early twenties (still do but they're pretty tough to find now). I remembered i used to have some John Foxx (lead singer of Ultravox before Midge Ure) solo stuff and only the other month ordered and album i used to have called Metamatic. There's a link to it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWQ7O3DAPl0
Deleted User 728

Got a mate who's massively into John Foxx - he's a real 80s "bleep head", loving all kinds of electronica.
I would recommend you try a band called "System". I think they're Scandinavian, and they have at least three or four albums out, all in a retro 80s-style, recorded on original keyboards and synths from the period, using studio equipment from those days too. He raves about them and burned me a few discs and I quite like 'em too, being a big Kraftwerk fan ...
Get the kettle on
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Get the kettle on »

Cheers, rigger. I'll give them a search and see what comes up.

I'm well into a Swedish group called Covenant who i first heard while playing PGR4 on Xbox 360. I ordered some of their stuff and I love it, i need to get some more of their work as it's so good.