Tour De France

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Tour De France

Post by Mellor »

There's generally not much interest in cycling on football forums but the tour is probably the greatest free show on earth and the first 3 days racing has been superb; fastest average speed ever in the tour in the opening prologue/time trial, two of the favourites struggling having been buffeted by cross winds on a terrific coastal stage yesterday and a fantastic uphill finish today after 2 serious crashes which show just how tough these guys are.

The good news is Froome is already in yellow before tomorrow's stage which includes a buffeting of a different kind across cobbled sections. Nibali effectively won the race in horrific conditions on the cobbles last year. Over a minute down he's gonna need to produce something spectacular to do the same this. Froome isn't the most elegant bike rider so the cobbles could pose a problem or two - last year he folded after crashing before he even hit the cobbles. Exciting day ahead.

Interestingly, cycling is one of only 4 or 5 sports to increase participation since the London Olympics. A proper British success and for me an amazing sport (despite controversy over drugs) covered extremely well by ITV4.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Tour De France

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Chris Froome wins todays stage:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/33528242
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

The opening week was superb. What Froome did today was breathtaking, the way he accelerated away on the climb. The bravery and fitness of cyclists is comparable with few sports. As a cyclist (trundler) myself I am in awe of these guys. Truly amazing.

Froome's to lose now. His cycling style is far from 'classic' but his performances speak for themselves. He blew the field away today. Absolute respect. Sadly, footballers with their fags,wags, money bags and debatable maladies look poor in comparison.

I'm ignoring drugs of course :)

Interestingly 'side before self' applies to cycling more than any sport I think. The likes of Thomas and Porte buried themselves again today but only Sky and Froome bask in the glory.
attacco decente
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Mellor wrote:
I'm ignoring drugs of course :)
I can't, I'm afraid.
Same reason I don't care for the Olympics.
Charlotte15
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Charlotte15 »

I went to watch the your de France last year it was an great experience
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

Hello Charlotte - it certainly was. Tour of Britain next in Seotember. Plenty of big names riding so it should be great. Cycle London was also great on Sunday and great to see the BBC show it live.
attacco decente