The Book Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: The Book Thread

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Halfway through You Are Dead by my favourite author Peter James. So far so good.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Not actually reading anything really at the moment but do have Alan Bennetts Talking Heads running as a audio book. Am really enjoying it if I am honest. Favourite one at the moment is based in Leeds entitled Bed Amongst the Lentils. It's about a vicars wife, Susan who is very fond of her sherry :D and ends up after a while buying it from a corner shop owned by Ramesh. I won't say too much but it's very entertaining.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Roughly around 5/8ths through our own DLW's latest book, absolutely brilliant.

Match reports (don't always agree with them mind, but worth a read :D), funny stories, useful/interesting historical information on grounds and pubs visited, serious/emotional stories which happened during the year and what appears to be a running theme in relation to David Haigh's incarceration.

The only issue now is making sure I finish it the night before the Burnley game, as once you pick it up it's very difficult to put down again.

Great stuff DLW :clap:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
dlw10

Post by dlw10 »

Aw thanks Kev! It really does make it all worthwhile when someone goes to the trouble to say how much they enjoy it. I am getting some great feedback again this time and I will "go again" for the new season, in fact I've already started with rather too much about Salzburg that will have to be edited down in the coming months. See you and Zack soon and when I go on my World book promotion tour you are coming with me!!!!!!
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Has anyone read the Leeds book "The good, bad & Ugly of Leeds United, Leeds in the 80's" yet?
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
dlw10

Post by dlw10 »

Mr Russell wrote:Has anyone read the Leeds book "The good, bad & Ugly of Leeds United, Leeds in the 80's" yet?
No but I'm interested what anyone thinks . It's by Heidi Haigh who is a regular everywhere Leeds go these days and prolific photographer together with the Leeds United stats fella Andrew Dalton who I also know.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I'm currently reading Barrack Obama's fantastic "Dreams From My Father"
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Another one notched off from the Bryson list - The Road to Little Dribbling
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Kids bought me Fanatical by Gary Edwards & Andy Stanmore for Christmas I'm sure as any of Gary's books it'll be funny. Also got the A to Z of Elland Road by John Howe, have only flicked through it a couple of times but what an impressive piece of work it is. I would go as far as to say it's a must read for any Leeds fan of any age.

Also noticed a certain Talker is acknowledged by Mr Howe :D
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Just finished Bill Bryson's The Road to Little Dribbling and have started to read, for the second time, his The Mother Tongue.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders