Just great music.....

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Just great music.....

Post by Mellor »

Heathen was a belting album, just out of interest. I'm quite excited about the new one now. That said his finest remains Hunky Dory. Funny that!
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Station to Station for me, mate :)
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

I Often Dream Of Trains, possibly the best album about trains - Robyn Hitchcock. Another national treasure :thumbup:

Bowie's singing period was great, StoS is excellent, so too Young Americans. Blue eyed soul is fine by me. TBH he didn't put a foot wrong from Hunky Dory through to Let's Dance for me. Only Heathen cuts it fully after that plus his amazing soundtrack to Buddah of Suberbia which is another bit of **** Bowie.
attacco decente
Deleted User 728

Love the funk period, obviously - it's right up my street.
Did you know he was the first white act ever to appear on Soul Train ??

Also love the Berlin trilogy.
The stuff on Low and Heroes in particular when he's trying to channel his inner Ralf und Florian is superb, while Heroes/Helden is his greatest moment IMHO, though I do love some of the more rambling tracks on Young Americans as well .. once he gets his funk on, boy he can work it.
Actually, Heroes is tied at the top with Stay for me ..

Did you ever see this clip ??

Mellor

Post by Mellor »

Dinah sings, Bowie plays eh!

Can't remember seeing the clip. His dancing on there looks like something from a daytime telly advert for keep fit sessions. The Berlin trilogy is marvellous and is as much about Eno as Bowie I think. Eno's first 4/5 albums also essential I think (along with his 2 in Roxy). Happy days.
attacco decente
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Went to see The Maccabees last night at the Brighton Dome, they were on top form and great atmosphere from the audience, good support from Drenge as well. Good night out.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Mellor wrote:Good to see Bowie has a new album on the way in January 2016. Didn't bother with his last, a bit predictable for me and Bowie's at his best when he wrong foots you. The new album looks far more promising if the title track is representative. Anyway, here's an article about the album and better still a link to the title track/video. Weird, epic, simply Bowie.

http://thequietus.com/articles/19271-li ... avid-bowie
I love that track. First time I've heard it and I was there for the full, nigh on, 10 minutes. Parts of it, the beginning, the drum loop, the "disjointed" instrumentation etc, reminded me of Scott Walker's last couple of albums. Bowie's kept it more melodic - or at least more melodic in places - whereas Walker almost seems to want to destroy the melody as a reaction to his 60s teenybopper persona. I guess they are both playing with songs in much the same way as Jazz performers do, but coming at them from a pop perspective.
I think one of these is needed: :ugeek: Pretentious? Moi? :D
Deleted User 728

That middle section where the bridge takes it into the synthy bit (around the 4:20 mark) is pure Vangelis and really evokes the Blade Runner soundtrack to me.
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

Black Stone Cherry - 'Things My Father Said' - Wow, wow, wow! Great stuff!

PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

Another cracker from BSC - 'In My Blood' :thumbup: