Just great music.....

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Re: Just great music.....

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Classic slice of 80s reggae from Barrington Levy, featuring the immortal line "I'm broad .. broader than Broadway !"

Get the kettle on
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Get the kettle on »

A few weeks ago i was searching music on the net and to my surpise and delight i read that Lush were reforming and that Justin Welch (former Elastica drummer) was to play in the band (as Chris Acland died some years ago and this effectively ended the band at that point).

A collection of some of their previous work was to be released on record format on the 27th of Nov this year.

I pre ordered the record and have picked it up today. I got home and made a nice cuppa and with a big childish grin unrwapped and took the first record to play... the utter joy! I've been hoping they'd get together and make music again and it's a reality, brilliant!
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

Another 'wow' track - do I look after you lot, or what?

Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Sniffer wrote:
Mellor wrote:Good to see Bowie has a new album on the way in January 2016. Didn't bother with his last, a bit predictable for me and Bowie's at his best when he wrong foots you. The new album looks far more promising if the title track is representative. Anyway, here's an article about the album and better still a link to the title track/video. Weird, epic, simply Bowie.

http://thequietus.com/articles/19271-li ... avid-bowie
I love that track. First time I've heard it and I was there for the full, nigh on, 10 minutes. Parts of it, the beginning, the drum loop, the "disjointed" instrumentation etc, reminded me of Scott Walker's last couple of albums. Bowie's kept it more melodic - or at least more melodic in places - whereas Walker almost seems to want to destroy the melody as a reaction to his 60s teenybopper persona. I guess they are both playing with songs in much the same way as Jazz performers do, but coming at them from a pop perspective.
I think one of these is needed: :ugeek: Pretentious? Moi? :D
Getting a bit giddy now. Bowie reinvents himself again, using jazz musicians, and it's released this Friday. I may camp outside HMV overnight.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

Mellor wrote:
Sniffer wrote:
Mellor wrote:Good to see Bowie has a new album on the way in January 2016. Didn't bother with his last, a bit predictable for me and Bowie's at his best when he wrong foots you. The new album looks far more promising if the title track is representative. Anyway, here's an article about the album and better still a link to the title track/video. Weird, epic, simply Bowie.

I love that track. First time I've heard it and I was there for the full, nigh on, 10 minutes. Parts of it, the beginning, the drum loop, the "disjointed" instrumentation etc, reminded me of Scott Walker's last couple of albums. Bowie's kept it more melodic - or at least more melodic in places - whereas Walker almost seems to want to destroy the melody as a reaction to his 60s teenybopper persona. I guess they are both playing with songs in much the same way as Jazz performers do, but coming at them from a pop perspective.
Getting a bit giddy now. Bowie reinvents himself again, using jazz musicians, and it's released this Friday. I may camp outside HMV overnight.
Just to confirm, just in case anyone buys new music, the album's a belter.
attacco decente
Mellor

Post by Mellor »

Mellor wrote:
Mellor wrote:
Sniffer wrote:

Just to confirm, just in case anyone buys new music, the album's a belter.
Not only a belter, but his last. Really sad to lose an icon but great that he went out on a high. RIP

Lazarus incredibly sad now we know.
attacco decente
PockWhite

Post by PockWhite »

What can I say, a sad sad loss yesterday, but a legacy that will live on forever!

PockWhite

Post by PockWhite »

Couldn't resist a couple 'o' more classics! :thumbup:

PockWhite

Post by PockWhite »

Just found this which didn't get on to 'Threat To Survival' - 'Never Gonna Let Go' - more superb stuff from Shinedown!!

Me and my youngest lad are seeing them In Nottingham, week on Friday, can't wait!! :thumbup:

Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Down In London this weekend, off to see the Musical "Sunny Afternoon" on saturday night. Always liked lots of stuff by Ray Davies so really looking forward to it.

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.