Eco-ethical thread!

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 2747

Eco-ethical thread!

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

An interesting piece of eco-data:

“If everybody boiled just the amount of water they needed for just one day, we could save enough energy to light every street lamp in the UK the following night.”

As I am an active eco-ethical consumer and practitioner where possible, I use this site a lot before making purchases: http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/buyersgu ... ttles.aspx

(Just trying to find a new kettle at the moment)
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Eco-ethical thread!

Post by johnh »

Is that the kettle that boils just the amount of water needed for one day? :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 2747

Electronics giants linked to cobalt mined by children

19/01/2016 15:27
New Amnesty report finds labour rights issues in supply chain

Apple, LG and Samsung have been implicated in human rights abuses in small mining operations in the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC), according to a new report by Amnesty International.

You can read more here if you wish:

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/latestne ... ldren.aspx
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

There's quite a few threads on here at the moment when I just feel like saying "We're dooooooomed ! All dooooooooooooooooomed !" because that's the only thing you can say ...

I said the other day that the world is going to hell and I stand by it despite being a very positive person in general.
That Zika virus is yet another warning from a planet that's had enough of man's constant crusade to squeeze the life out of it.

We are not gods.

The whole GM/gene-therapy thing scares the bejeezus out of me.
I personally think we're a generation away from having an elite able to choose their own designer baby from various different embryos. Imagine picking from a menu where you can literally select options like height, hair/eye/skin colours, intelligence, sporting prowess, etc ?

The good thing is, Arthur C Clarke foresaw all of this when he wrote the Rama series of novels forty years ago.
In the book, he describes a similar race who played around with their own DNA to eliminate diseases and make them stronger, faster, fitter and live longer until they actually bred all the positives out of their own species, leaving no room for the natural process of survival of the fittest. The last generation lived well into the hundreds, but were all sterile by that point ..

Still, back to reality.
I'll save you a seat at the bar in hell, eh ?? :twisted:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Frankie wrote:An interesting piece of eco-data:

“If everybody boiled just the amount of water they needed for just one day, we could save enough energy to light every street lamp in the UK the following night.”

As I am an active eco-ethical consumer and practitioner where possible, I use this site a lot before making purchases: http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/buyersgu ... ttles.aspx

(Just trying to find a new kettle at the moment)
I'll put my electrical engineers head on and say a kettle uses 10 times the energy of a street lamps.

That's based on the average kettle been 2kw but can vary either way although lower the wattage longer it needs to be on to boil water.
Street lights vary from 90w to 500w depending on type and reckon the average will be around 200w.

On that note our local council have fixed ours to go off at midnight just leaving every 3rd light on.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 2747

rigger wrote:There's quite a few threads on here at the moment when I just feel like saying "We're dooooooomed ! All dooooooooooooooooomed !" because that's the only thing you can say ...

I said the other day that the world is going to hell and I stand by it despite being a very positive person in general.
That Zika virus is yet another warning from a planet that's had enough of man's constant crusade to squeeze the life out of it.

We are not gods.

The whole GM/gene-therapy thing scares the bejeezus out of me.
I personally think we're a generation away from having an elite able to choose their own designer baby from various different embryos. Imagine picking from a menu where you can literally select options like height, hair/eye/skin colours, intelligence, sporting prowess, etc ?

The good thing is, Arthur C Clarke foresaw all of this when he wrote the Rama series of novels forty years ago.
In the book, he describes a similar race who played around with their own DNA to eliminate diseases and make them stronger, faster, fitter and live longer until they actually bred all the positives out of their own species, leaving no room for the natural process of survival of the fittest. The last generation lived well into the hundreds, but were all sterile by that point ..

Still, back to reality.
I'll save you a seat at the bar in hell, eh ?? :twisted:

It is all pretty scary isn't it! The world is going to hell, I wish I could ignore it all, but I have never been that kind of person. I think it is becoming increasingly hard to ignore for more people, maybe I am being too optimistic, but weirdly I am still hopeful that things will change for the better!

I was talking to my friends 19 year old daughter the other day, she said that she didn't see the point in worrying about the Earth and globalisation as her friend does, because 'it's all gone too far now anyway'! Pretty horrible for young people!
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Frankie wrote: I was talking to my friends 19 year old daughter the other day, she said that she didn't see the point in worrying about the Earth and globalisation as her friend does, because 'it's all gone too far now anyway'! Pretty horrible for young people!
I think she's right.

While one generation resents their parents for being overly promiscuous in the 60s and 70s, another will hate theirs for destroying the planet.

There's a reason why a lot of the best sci-fi depicts a dystopian future.
It's a great setting for a story, granted, but it's also a far more likely scenario.

We won't all be serenely mincing around in laboratory-white space stations drinking blue cocktails from elegantly stemmed glasses : the vast majority of what's left of the human race will be scratching around for survival on what's left of the planet earth :cry:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I think some of the views here are overly pessimistic. The 'Malthus theory', over 200 years ago, forecast that
population growth would overtake food production. The ingenuity of man overcame that problem and will probably do the same to the problems we face now and in the future. Eventually, logic dictates that Earth's resources will be used up but it is many thousands of years down the line by which time, hopefully, the ingenuity of man will prevail again.
This view doesn't mean I am against conservation of resources, I am in favour, as long as I can keep the central heating on. :D
I once played against Don Revie.