Hit the wall

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Hit the wall

Post by Davycc »

Well peeps on the 4th of Jan I decided that I needed to lose weight and get a little bit more active. It wasn't a new years resolution as such just was fed up squeezing into clothes and letting out buttons at night to relax. I was 13st 13lbs am just under 5'8" and according to all the charts I'm obese and should be no more than 11st. I'm 52 now and up untill 2000 I was in the gym ( it helped with work) doing weights, running etc 4-5 times a week and was never under 12 st.

I set a target of hitting 12st 7lbs by the end of April and have bet a few in work (donations to a local animal help centre) that I'll do it. I've stopped the glasses of wine week nights, cut out snacks between meals am eating smaller portions etc and to be honest I feel a lot better. I started taking the dog for walks (he used to get a ball thrown in the field behind us) I walked 2 miles Monday - Friday and am now running it, well jogging it, still knackered at the end but my times are getting quicker.

Trouble is I'm now 13st 4lbs and have been for the last 2 weeks. I don't think its a transfer from fat to muscle (I did all that years ago so know the jogging won't make up the muscle) but I've hit the wall.

So the reason for this post is 2 fold:

1. to put it out there so I am obliged to keep at it ( not an ideal approach I know)
2. to ask anyone for tips to help. As I said previously I was working to put mass on not take it off.

Any ideas or suggestions ?
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Hit the wall

Post by dlw10 »

My Mrs has just invested in a Fitbit and I have to say it is addictive! She is now targeting steps and stuff and because she is doing it I'm doing it with her - just power walking mainly but I cheat and do press ups and running up the stairs a few times every time I think about it!!!!! I still find beer makes a huge difference to my weight for some reason - but if I cut it out for a few days I soon loose what I've gained!!! Drink loads of water if you can - they say that reduces the demand for food.....I guess cause you're full of water!!!!!!
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

dlw10 wrote:I still find beer makes a huge difference to my weight for some reason - but if I cut it out for a few days I soon loose what I've gained
I see the beer is making a difference to the spelling Dave :D
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

In 2010 I was 40 years old, I was diagnosed with sleep apnoea and was 108kgs so made the choice that I had to lose weight as I was a severe case and stopped breathing 88 times an hour :wtf: I had to have one of those CPAP machines to help me breathe, so everyday I started to go for an hour walk (hills and flat ground), started to eat a healthy brekkie (cornflakes, cut out bread and the like etc) as I never really had one and it used to be a cup of tea and that was it. Had smaller meals, more salads, not as much meat and more fish etc but I still kept drinking beer (no spirits/wine) but not everyday and only at weekends. After 2 years I was down to my soccer playing days weight of 85kgs and was a low mild risk of sleep apnoea at 20 times an hour (now I hover round the 86/87kg mark) and felt really good and only snore badly when I do drink and I don't have to use my machine all the time any more (couple of times a week now). It changed my life for the better and whilst I don't exercise as much as I did back then I still do prefer to walk than drive the car. As someone said drinks lots of water as well.

Keep at it, I know its harder when when your older but you'll feel much better in the end. :thumbup:
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Mate, I've been on the 5:2 diet for four weeks and it's working for me.

I really like that doctor Mosely fella - I first watched this about three years ago and it really made me sit up and think about what I was doing :

His latest shows focus on fasting and the 5:2 came from that.

It's not as hard as you think, believe me. Today was a fast day and I ate a banana and an apple, had two cups of coffee, then some porridge about lunchtime with another banana sliced up, then I had - get this !! - a bowl of lettuce tonight and a cup-a-soup.

Drink plenty of water and it's certainly possible for a man to keep under 600 calories (it's 500 for women) on their fasting days.

The thing about it all is that it makes you really think about what you put into your body.
That bag of crisps, those biscuits with your coffee, that quick Mars bar, etc ..

Both myself and my gf are doing - which helps, obviously - and it's easier than I thought it would be.
Given that I'm a month in, I feel better, I look better and it's making me healthier.

What's not to love ?
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Folk who know me won't believe this, but I used to be a right little podge. I was recommended books by a chap called Bill Phillips, think it was Eating for Life and Body for Life and the fat simply fell off, although it takes willpower and determination.

I would recommend it to anyone, and the meals are delicious too :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Buy a bike, cycle as often and as far as you can whenever you can. Rotational business so it doesn't damage your joints and is second only to swimming I believe in terms of not damaging bits of your body. You can even enjoy cafe stops knowing you need the sugar and you're burning enough calories to salve your conscience. I could never do the gym but cycling is a wonderful way to stay fit, keep on top of your weight and enjoy the scenery. I did my first 100 miler for 15 years in September. May be my last at my age but 3 regular weekly rides of between 30 to 60 miles apiece has helped keep my weight down and my blood pressure 'perfectly normal' whatever that may be. Bikes are the new Lufc.
Last edited by Mellor on 13 Feb 2016, 21:51, edited 3 times in total.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Mellor wrote:Buy a bike, cycle as often and as far as you can whenever you can. Rotational business so it doesn't damage your joints and is second only to swimming I believe in terms of not damaging bits of your body. You can even enjoy cafe stops knowing you need the sugar and you're burning enough calories to salve your conscience. I could never do the gym but cycling is a wonderful way to stay fit, keep on top of your weight and enjoy the scenery. I did my first 100 miler for 15 years in September. May be my last at my age but 3 regular weekly rides of between 30 to 60 miles apiece has helped keep my weight down and my blood pressure 'perfectly normal' whatever that may be. Bikes are the new Lufc.
Mellor says 'cycle as often and as far as you can whenever you can'. The last time I did that I found myself lost somewhere in Scotland, six days later. :D

When I stopped playing football I was 13st 10lb, I am now 14st. I eat and drink whatever I like - but I never do it to excess. I enjoy a drink - wine, single malt, beer, but have never been drunk in my life. I think if you partake in moderation and take regular exercise, you won't need to bother with all these diets.
Mind you, having the right metabolism helps.
I once played against Don Revie.
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

Should have added, it's ok to ride in circles. Taking this simple precaution will avoid the Scottish issue leaving cyclists free to enjoy the best combination of fitness and pleasure (scenery, open air, coffee and cake) known to man :D

When I stopped playing football there was still 55minutes to play.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

As one who has always carried a bit too much weight (sweet tooth and love of beer don't help) i often have weight loss purges to try keep it in check.

To be honest its well overdue as its been sneaking up over the last year so intend to give it a go again myself.

Anyway I reckon the best way is calorie counting, basically note everything that goes in your mouth and make sure your daily intake is the right amount to take off 1 to 2 lbs per week (anymore you wont keep it up).
Plenty of calculators on the internet this is a good one you just need to be honest about the exercise you do :-

http://www.caloriecount.com/tools/calories-goal

I did a spreadsheet that helps keep check of foods i was eating each day, just put number of portions and it adds up for you. Just a bit of initial work adding the foods you eat yourself and their calories.
If interested send me a pm with your email and i can send you a copy in either works spreadsheet or excel (you can then alter it to fit your own meals). Not sure we can link them to pm's.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.