The Gardening Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The Gardening Thread

Post by Davycc »

johnh wrote: All sorts of birds. Regular blackbird pair, finches, woodpigeons, ravens, robins, woodpeckers (green), red kites, parakeets, magpies, starlings, thrushes, Jays. Plus Hedgehogs, and squirrels.
Would be in my element with the parakeets John, I believe they are Indian Ringnecks.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc wrote:Great job SW looks good now but will be fantastic in a year or two :thumbup:
The pics are from last year and the project is progressing will get some more pics up soon.

in the process of digging up sections of lawn, have put in 4 raised beds and in the process of putting in a couple of paths among other things, lots to still do of course.

Like your pics Davy, looks a great place to chill out.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

1. Who has a garden ?
Yes. Very lucky to be living on an acre, about 30 miles from the city.
Half of it is lawn, not great condition, but the kids play football on it, so no plans to tend to it for a few more years.
The other half is fenced off and wildly overgrown. Funnilly enough, I have a man in a machine coming tomorrow to clear it for seeding later in the year.

2. If you have do you enjoy sitting out in it ?
I like the idea, but I'm gone for work probably 14 hours a day (including travelling) and any other spare time is spent playing with the kids - in the garden, but not sitting out in it.

3. What sort of wildlife do you get in yours ?
Before we walled our site, we used to get loads of rabbits, hares and pheasants wandering through. Now it's just the birds that can get in. All the usuals, but we do have a resident kestrel, and just last week spotted the first Buzzard in the area. Quite a few up North, but slowly making their way down West now.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

kk white wrote: just last week spotted the first Buzzard in the area. Quite a few up North, but slowly making their way down West now.
We have a resident Buzzard here at work. He regularly sits on the telephone poles along the access road. Smart bird, when you drive past, even slowly he sits happily but if you reverse back to get a better look he's off across the fields. The airport has one of the biggest droves of Irish hares in the country so food is good for him.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
kk white

Post by kk white »

Davycc wrote:
kk white wrote: just last week spotted the first Buzzard in the area. Quite a few up North, but slowly making their way down West now.
We have a resident Buzzard here at work. He regularly sits on the telephone poles along the access road. Smart bird, when you drive past, even slowly he sits happily but if you reverse back to get a better look he's off across the fields. The airport has one of the biggest droves of Irish hares in the country so food is good for him.
Yeah, telephone poles are one of their favourite spots.

The one I saw locally though was circling really high. Great sight.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Our grass is almost yellow in places now, even though we have watered.

Desperately need some rain.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
kk white

Post by kk white »

Barlow Boy wrote:Our grass is almost yellow in places now, even though we have watered.

Plenty of it in the West of Ireland BB. One of the worst summers on record so far. Winter storm conditions all last week, torrential rain this. Gloomy and depressing.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

kk white wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Our grass is almost yellow in places now, even though we have watered.

Plenty of it in the West of Ireland BB. One of the worst summers on record so far. Winter storm conditions all last week, torrential rain this. Gloomy and depressing.
Send some over here mate :thumbup:

I know what you mean though, I love the warm sunny weather, just wouldn’t mind a few rain spells overnight.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Barlow Boy wrote:
kk white wrote:

Send some over here mate :thumbup:

I know what you mean though, I love the warm sunny weather, just wouldn’t mind a few rain spells overnight.
Yeah terrible summer here as well, wet and windy
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Our small lawn looks OK, still green but lots around our estate look very brown.
Over last few years (covid project) I've dug up the majority of our lawns as we've redesigned the garden.
Part of it is growing our own food, last night only thing on our plate not grown ourselves was a chicken pie. Potato's, cabbage, cauliflower, carrots, beetroot all home grown not to mention the strawberries.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.