The Gardening Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: The Gardening Thread

Post by johnh »

NW the only advice I can give is - don't eat them.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Just got some lovely Pears hanging over our fence from a neighbours tree :thumbup:

Can't reach his Plums and better not let him catch me as he's one of the boys in blue. :shock:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Just spent a couple of hours digging up a small section of my lawn.

We've decided to grow a few veggies this year so a vegetable plot it now is.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Just looked outside at the back & overnight we've got crocuses, snow drops & daffodils all come through, Spring has sprung :D
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

We've been taking advantage of the lockdown and extra time at home to make a few alterations at the bottom of the garden.

Removed a far bit of lawn

Added a 2nd patio are (more decorative)-

Put in Wood chipping footpath (the border to the right under the hedge will be for fruit next year (strawberries, gooseberries, blueberries, etc) although some more veg this year -

Herb Garden (Cathy is slowly adding) -

Stepping Stone Path and flower area (got a few more in since photo but even more to add) -

And increased size of existing veg patch which will soon be feeding us -
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Just to re-generate this thread.

1. Who has a garden ?

2. If you have do you enjoy sitting out in it ?

3. What sort of wildlife do you get in yours ?

1.Obviously yes for me

2. Yes spend a lot of time when the weather is decent, most meals done on the BBQ in the summer.

3. Lots of birds - Everything from Robins, Blackies, jackdaws, Gold finches, Magpies, wood pigeons, Starlings, Sparrows, etc.
A few regulars feel we are on first name terms with :crazy:

Rabbits are a battle to keep off my veggies, We have a Squirrel visits the bird feeders but not seen him for awhile, not to mention we get the odd mole hill as the field over the back fence is full of them.

Almost forgot have seen Deer sometime back in the football field over the fence and not to mention the Pheasant that seems to wander about the area.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

1. Who has a garden

Yes, a big garden close to the main house, and then a large piece of land adjacent to the house which we purchased a while back for £1 (had an offer from a builder to purchase the land for £55,000) but there’s no way we would want a neighbour there, so over the next couple of years we are going to tidy it up a bit, as it’s a mess at the moment.

Having some work done in the main garden in June, including shaping, paving and a summerhouse.

2. If you have do you enjoy sitting out in it

We are never inside when the weather is nice, a neighbour always jokes that I’m always pottering about and I must have worms. A beer in the garden just as the sun is setting can’t be beaten.

The Mrs is an avid bird feeder, so we get alsorts, I’m not the best when it comes to naming birds, but the usual general garden birds come for their breakfast, lunch and dinner, we do get a woodpecker and a sparrow hawk which takes the odd blackbird.

We used to get deer, but not so much now, but regularly get foxes and badgers. Great to watch the badgers on an evening, we have spotlights which trigger when they pass, so we get a perfect view

As I’ve said before, we love where we live and purchased the house mainly for the garden and certainly the wildlife.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Great job SW looks good now but will be fantastic in a year or two :thumbup:

1. Who has a garden ?

1. yes. When I moved in with the boss nearly 3/4 of rear the garden was lost to Leylandii so it has evolved over the years. Can't keep a decent lawn on the front garden (where we get the sun so like to sit out there) die to the surrounding grass fields, I started every year fighting weeds, got to October lawn was decent then had to start all over again the following year.

2. See above :)

3. Very little :( Being in an estate we don't see much. The odd hedgehog and the usual common birds.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Davycc wrote:Great job SW looks good now but will be fantastic in a year or two :thumbup:

1. Who has a garden ?

1. yes. When I moved in with the boss nearly 3/4 of rear the garden was lost to Leylandii so it has evolved over the years. Can't keep a decent lawn on the front garden (where we get the sun so like to sit out there) die to the surrounding grass fields, I started every year fighting weeds, got to October lawn was decent then had to start all over again the following year.

2. See above :)

3. Very little :( Being in an estate we don't see much. The odd hedgehog and the usual common birds.
Front garden 3 years ago, grass was reasonably good but that was towards the end of summer.

Front now. Still stark but planters seating etc to be added

The rear garden after cutting back the Leylandii and building decking. It looked well but you couldn't sit out or eat because of the flies that the Leylandii attracted ... swarms of the blighters

Image BG bbq

Had an aviary for a few years but I was conscious of the noise level, neighbours never complained but in the mornings especially in summer it was a racket.

So this was it a year ago, theres more planters etc now but there are plans to change again :D

All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Can't do much gardening these days so a few years ago I designed the garden with this in mind. Mainly trees, shrubs and lawn. Can manage to mow the lawn but have a guy comes in to prune the trees and shrubs and keep them tidy.
I enjoy sitting in the garden on a nice hot sunny day with a glass of chilled white. Watching the wildlife.
All sorts of birds. Regular blackbird pair, finches, woodpigeons, ravens, robins, woodpeckers (green), red kites, parakeets, magpies, starlings, thrushes, Jays. Plus Hedgehogs, and squirrels.
I once played against Don Revie.