The Gardening Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: The Gardening Thread

Post by johnh »

Finally cut my front lawn today. Last summer we had all our gas mains replaced. They had to re-route the connection to my house which entailed digging a trench across my front lawn. They re-turfed it and the quality of turf that they used was excellent. The problem is that since I did my 'last cut' in October the new turf has grown at twice the rate of the original grass. If I hadn't cut it today it would have been almost knee high by March.
I once played against Don Revie.
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

Wigan White wrote:
PockWhite wrote:
dlw10 wrote:Did mine last week on a dry day and it was OK - look really good at the moment.
Yep, did ours on a dry day last week aswell (Thursday I think it was?).

Also, on a gardening note, just had a reet grand meat & veg tea, the veg included some leeks & cabbage which I picked off our allotment last weekend! :o :thumbup: :D
Bloody hell!!!!

It's like being on a Last Of The Summer Wine forum. :D
Thanks for that Mr Compo. :D
PockWhite

Post by PockWhite »

Got some butternut squash & red pepper soup for my dinner today, avec un crusty cob! :thumbup:
And yes you've guessed it, both squash & peppers were grown on our allotment! :thumbup:
Good Life, or what? :o :oops: :D
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Far from being a gardening enthusiast, nonetheless i have a pleasant front and back garden.

I really like Acers and was wondering if any of you have good advice on where to buy (at low price of course :) ) from and how to grow/take care of one. I already have one and it looks splendid in 'bloom' but I didn't plant it myself. The front garden bed where a new one would go gets decent sunlight from early afternoons and is quite well contained so the wind shouldn't be a problem.

If not Acers, can you recommend similar which provide a good colourful 'centrepiece' and don't need much looking after once matured?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Far from being a gardening enthusiast, nonetheless i have a pleasant front and back garden.

I really like Acers and was wondering if any of you have good advice on where to buy (at low price of course :) ) from and how to grow/take care of one. I already have one and it looks splendid in 'bloom' but I didn't plant it myself. The front garden bed where a new one would go gets decent sunlight from early afternoons and is quite well contained so the wind shouldn't be a problem.

If not Acers, can you recommend similar which provide a good colourful 'centrepiece' and don't need much looking after once matured?
I often get stuff online from Jersey plants they are usually decent on price.
http://Www.Jerseyplantsdirect.com
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Thanks bud.

Sorry :P
PockWhite

Post by PockWhite »

Was supposed to be planting our spuds on our allotment today.
Well that ain't happening anytime soon I can tell thee all.
Bloomin' weather! :roll:
ashingtonleeds
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by ashingtonleeds »

That's what I've got planned for after work so hope that weather stays there - it's warm & sunny up north just now - makes a pleasant change !
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Was planning on weeding the borders this afternoon but rain stopped play.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I put some lawn weed-killer and fertiliser on my front and back lawns on Saturday. On the packet it says to put it on 3 days before rain so am delighted to see it pouring down all day. Apologies to those who were hoping to get out there. Don't know about up'tnorth but we have had a mass invasion of dandelions this year, never seen so many, plus the usual Thames Valley moss.
I once played against Don Revie.