The departed

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: The departed

Post by PockWhite »

Terribly sad & tragic about Phil Hughes. RIP.

P.S. - Also awful to hear about an Israeli Umpire killed after being hit by a cricket ball! RIP aswell.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Full transcript of Michael Clarke's eulogy

I'm deeply honoured to have been asked by Phillip's family to speak today. I am humbled to be in the presence of you, his family, his friends and his community. He was so proud of Macksville and it is easy to see why today.

Taken from the game, his family and loved ones at the age of just 25, he left a mark on our game that needs no embellishment.

I don't know about you, but I keep looking for him. I know it is crazy but I expect any minute to take a call from him or to see his face pop around the corner.

Is this what we call the spirit? If so, then his spirit is still with me. And I hope it never leaves.

I walked to the middle of the SCG on Thursday night, those same blades of grass beneath my feet where he and I and so many of his mates here today have built partnerships, taken chances and lived out the dreams we paint in our heads as boys. The same stands where the crowds rose to their feet to cheer him on and that same fence he sent the ball to time and time again. And it is now forever the place where he fell.

I stood there at the wicket, I knelt down and touched the grass. I swear he was with me.

Picking me up off my feet to check if I was OK. Telling me we just needed to dig in and get through to tea. Telling me off for that loose shot I played. Chatting about what movie we might watch that night. And then passing on a useless fact about cows.

I could see him swagger back to the other end, grin at the bowler, and call me through for a run with such a booming voice a bloke in the car park would hear it.

The heart of a man who lived his life for this wonderful game we play, and whose soul enriched not just our sport, but all of our lives.

Is this what indigenous Australians believe about a person's spirit being connected with the land upon which they walk? If so, I know they are right about the SCG. His spirit has touched it and it will be forever be a sacred ground for me.

I can feel his presence there and I can see how he has touched so many people around the world. The tributes to him from cricket lovers kept me going. The photos, the words, the prayers and the sense of communion in this loss from people across the globe have shown me his spirit in action. It has sustained me and overwhelmed me in equal measure.

And the love of my band of baggy green and gold brothers and sisters has held me upright when I thought I could not proceed. His spirit has brought us closer together - something I know must be him at work because it is so consistent with how he played and lived. He always wanted to bring people together and he always wanted to celebrate his love for the game and its people.

Is this what we call the spirit of cricket? From the little girl in Karachi holding a candlelight tribute to masters of the game like Tendulkar, Warne and Lara showing their grief to the world, the spirit of cricket binds us all together.

We feel it in the thrill of a cover drive. Or the taking of a screamer at gully, whether by a 12-year-old boy in Worcester or by Brendon McCullum in Dubai. It is in the brilliant hundred and five-wicket haul, just as significant to the players in a Western Suburbs club game as it is in a Test match.

The bonds that lead to cricketers from around the world putting their bats out, that saw people who didn't even know Phillip lay flowers at the gates of Lord's and that brought every cricketing nation on earth to make its own heartfelt tribute.

The bonds that saw players old and new rush to his bedside. From wherever they heard the news to say their prayers and farewells. This is what makes our game the greatest game in the world.

Phillip's spirit, which is now part of our game forever, will act as a custodian of the sport we all love.

We must listen to it. We must cherish it. We must learn from it. We must dig in and get through to tea. And we must play on.

So rest in peace my little brother. I'll see you out in the middle.

What a wonderful speech from Michael Clarke at Phil Hughes Funeral. :clap:

RIP Phil Hughes.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

The funeral was shown live on channel 9 here in Australia, only saw parts of it due to been at work. It was a fantastic speech by Michael Clarke and probably one that will be remembered for a long time. It was good to see people from all around the world at the funeral whether they were cricketers or not. RIP Phillp Hughes.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Jeremy Thorpe ex leader of the Liberal Party:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30336167
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Ian McLagan of the Faces and Small Faces:-

The legendary keyboard player has died aged 69.

McLagan joined The Small Faces in November 1965, and following their all-too-brief three year career achieved further success with The Faces.

His unexpected death, caused by complications following a stroke, has seen tributes pouring in from around the world.

Planet Rock presenter and MOJO Magazine Editor-in-chief Phil Alexander paid his respects, writing: "He was, he believed, luckier than most and, unlike most, he had the pleasure of being in not one but two of the greatest rock bands of all time."

The sad news was revealed in a statement on Ian McLagan's website, which reads:

“It is with great sadness and eternal admiration that we report the passing of rock and roll icon Ian McLagan. Ian was a member of the Small Faces and Faces and was inducted into the Rock’N’ Roll Hall Of Fame in 2012. He died today, December 3, 2014, surrounded by family and friends in his adopted hometown of Austin, TX, due to complications from a stroke suffered the previous day. He was 69 years old.”

Mac’s manager Ken Kushnick added: “He was a beloved friend to so many people and a true rock’n’roll spirit. His persona and gift of song impacted the music across oceans and generations.”

Kenney Jones, his bandmate throughout the Small Faces and the Faces gave his tribute, explaining: “I am completely devastated by this shocking news and I know this goes for Ronnie and Rod also.”
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Ian McLagan of the Faces and Small Faces:-

The legendary keyboard player has died aged 69.

McLagan joined The Small Faces in November 1965, and following their all-too-brief three year career achieved further success with The Faces.

His unexpected death, caused by complications following a stroke, has seen tributes pouring in from around the world.

Planet Rock presenter and MOJO Magazine Editor-in-chief Phil Alexander paid his respects, writing: "He was, he believed, luckier than most and, unlike most, he had the pleasure of being in not one but two of the greatest rock bands of all time."

The sad news was revealed in a statement on Ian McLagan's website, which reads:

“It is with great sadness and eternal admiration that we report the passing of rock and roll icon Ian McLagan. Ian was a member of the Small Faces and Faces and was inducted into the Rock’N’ Roll Hall Of Fame in 2012. He died today, December 3, 2014, surrounded by family and friends in his adopted hometown of Austin, TX, due to complications from a stroke suffered the previous day. He was 69 years old.”

Mac’s manager Ken Kushnick added: “He was a beloved friend to so many people and a true rock’n’roll spirit. His persona and gift of song impacted the music across oceans and generations.”

Kenney Jones, his bandmate throughout the Small Faces and the Faces gave his tribute, explaining: “I am completely devastated by this shocking news and I know this goes for Ronnie and Rod also.”

Only Kenney Jones from the Small Faces still with us now, quality group they were, produced some cracking stuff.
RIP Ian.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
dskimcbski
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by dskimcbski »

I know this probably shouldn't be here but I lost my dog this morning. He died suddenly during the night and we have no idea why?? :( :( He was only 10 and had bags of life left in him. Devastated wouldn't be in it. :(

RIP Shay McBride-the best dog there ever was........(older posters my remember my pictures of him-poser that he was............)
'I'd rather be hated for being who I am, than loved for being someone I'm not'.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

So sorry about your dog. I know what it's like to lose a much loved pet. So much more relevant in every way, than someone in the news. :(
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

dskimcbski wrote:I know this probably shouldn't be here but I lost my dog this morning. He died suddenly during the night and we have no idea why?? :( :( He was only 10 and had bags of life left in him. Devastated wouldn't be in it. :(

RIP Shay McBride-the best dog there ever was........(older posters my remember my pictures of him-poser that he was............)
Ah mate, very sorry for your loss.
dskimcbski
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by dskimcbski »

Thanks guys-keep telling the kids he's better off and at rest but I feel really angry that he was stole away like that. It's amazing how much of your life revolves around them and how much your heart breaks when they go.

:(
'I'd rather be hated for being who I am, than loved for being someone I'm not'.