The departed

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The departed

Post by SiMamu »

dskimcbski wrote:
SiMamu wrote:My sincere condolences to you, dski. I'm scared of dogs, to tell you the truth, and there's no cause either. But I understand you're pain, I have more than a few cats - in fact, over the course of my life I think I've had 14 cats and have 7 at present (ridiculous number, I know). It's horrible when a pet dies. When my eldest cat died at 18, which is a very good age for a cat, last April it took a while for it to sink in, not realising until I went to run a bath and I didn't have to check he wasn't underneath it beforehand (which is a typical habit of a dying cat, spending their final days alone in a quiet place). His death hit me particularly hard because he was the last remaining cat who my mother acquired before my birth, so he'd been alive all my life.
In 2009 my cat died for a number of reasons, she had a tumour and a form of cancer that had a 60% chance of success if she was operated on, but that never came about because the vet gave her too much anaesthetic and things went down the pan. She was only 12, which isn't that old for a cat. We have not been back to that vet since, understandably.
This was the hardest on my youngest,who was born the same year as Shay. She grew up with him and is taking it bad. They were basically inseparable. Have noticed Kasper the Husky has been pining around this evening. Going to Shays bed and having a sniff then whining...
Thanks for your post,and the follow ;) although I am incredibly boring with re:to tweeting!!
No problem, mate, there are plenty worse tweeters - LeedsUtdRyan, for instance. ;)
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

SiMamu wrote:over the course of my life I think I've had 14 cats and have 7 at present (ridiculous number, I know). It's horrible when a pet dies. When my eldest cat died at 18, which is a very good age for a cat
I think we are kindred spirits Si. We haven't had that many cats, we are onto 5 and 6 and at one point had 4 cats living with us. Like I said, we have lost 3 in the space of just over a year. Our eldest female cat Bindi who I think had a stroke (got up one day and she couldnt walk, kept falling over) and she died in my arms, she was 18. Then the eldest lad died (Bertie) who we had to have put to sleep because he had stopped eating and was weak, he was 19 and then in March our other female cat (Whiskie) died because she had cancer and she was 15.

Horrible losing them, but once that initial grief settles down, you can remember the good times and how they all had a great life, probably a life they couldn't have had living anywhere else.

Animals are great, they give us so much pleasure and love, I couldn't live in a house without an animal :-)
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Always sad when you loose an animal (Sorry to hear about your dog) we recently lost our pet Galah who we had for over 20yrs, she was a stray who we took in and she stayed at my parents house, so when I used to go or stay back home I always went out to talk to her, give her a neck rub and she used to do a head dance for me everytime she heard by voice (my girlfriend has a pet parrot who does the same), now I don't get to witness that any more and it does feel like something is missing when I go to my parents (they still have a cat though). So sad RIP
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I was reading the Aussie football news when I saw this article and thought I'd share it (it has a Leeds connection)

FOOTBALL, VICTORIA

Norman Hobson, 1935–5 December 2014

Norm Hobson was one of Australia’s best goalkeepers in the 1950s and 1960s. He arrived from England where he had played with Leeds United in 1955 and joined Moreland, quickly becoming the first choice keeper. He helped the club win the Dockerty Cup in 1957, playing alongside Ted Smith, Frankie Loughran and Don Hodgson. In 1960 he moved to George Cross where he was the keeper when the club won the Australia Cup in 1964, beating APIA in the final. George Cross was runner-up in the league in four seasons while he was in goal for the club. He had spells with Wilhelmina and Croatia and time in Sydney with APIA while he was working in New South Wales.

He played eleven games for Victoria including starring performances against Everton in 1964 and Chelsea in 1965. His performance against Chelsea won him selection for the Australian squad, but John Roberts was preferred to him in the two matches in Sydney and Melbourne. In 1966 he played in front of a crowd of over 35,000 at Olympic Park (and many more perched on vantage points outside the ground) against AS Roma from Italy.

He had offers to return to England to play but preferred to continue in Australia, where he found a home and a great reception at every club with which he played. Of his time at George Cross he said, ‘I look forward to my future with George Cross and I have never been happier, I would also like to say that the people at the club, whether they be Maltese, English, Scottish, or whatever, are the greatest bunch of fellows I could possibly ever wish to be associated with. I am happy to wear the goalkeeper’s jersey for as long as the club thinks I am good enough’.

This is the link if it does not work can someone fix it cheers

http://sesasport.com/?p=2430
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

What a great photo that is of Norm wearing his flat cap, my old fella wore one 24/7 as did a lot of Northern men.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Mandy Rice Davis has passed away aged 70.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

60s pop legend Dozy of Dave Dee, Dozy, Beaky, Mick & Tich dies aged 70:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-wiltshire-30811311
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Anne Kirkbride aka Deirdre from Corro, only 60.

RIP
PockWhite

Post by PockWhite »

RIP to Anne Kirkbride.
She's bravely faced and battled cancer, on and off, for a number of years.
Hats off to her for her strength of character in the face of that adversity.
Can't believe she was 'only' 60 though!
Not 'cos she looked old, or anything like that, but just 'cos she'd been in Corro for so long!