The Cricket Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by johnh »

I know there were some appalling dismissals but Bairstow's was like a not very good number 11.
I once played against Don Revie.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Lads, I have very little idea about Test cricket, but have kept one eye on the Ashes.

I understand runs win matches, win more tests = win the Ashes etc, but what does either team have to do to win a single Test? How many days is a Test scheduled for? How many overs? Assuming all goes to plan of course, no need to explain reduced overs, Duckworth–Lewis–Stern etc.

Thanks in advance, and I hope this doesn't wreck anyone's head trying to explain to the uneducated.
Even if I don't understand, I'll pretend I do and thank you :lol:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

kk_white wrote: I understand runs win matches, win more tests = win the Ashes etc, but what does either team have to do to win a single Test? How many days is a Test scheduled for? How many overs? Assuming all goes to plan of course, no need to explain reduced overs, Duckworth–Lewis–Stern etc.
For a minute there KK, I thought my Mrs had hacked your account to ask those questions :lol: :lol: :lol:

There’s only one man for this job, step forward Mr Nottingham White :D
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

kk_white wrote:Lads, I have very little idea about Test cricket, but have kept one eye on the Ashes.

I understand runs win matches, win more tests = win the Ashes etc, but what does either team have to do to win a single Test? How many days is a Test scheduled for? How many overs? Assuming all goes to plan of course, no need to explain reduced overs, Duckworth–Lewis–Stern etc.

Thanks in advance, and I hope this doesn't wreck anyone's head trying to explain to the uneducated.
Even if I don't understand, I'll pretend I do and thank you :lol:
Test matches are scheduled for 5 days.

90 overs bowled per day weather permitting.

Play starts at 11am and should finish at 6pm but rarely does due to the bowlers over rate per hour. Because yesterday was rain affected play and didnt start till late play went on to 7.30pm

Either side has to bowl the other side out twice to win the match provided they have enough runs on the board.

If the side batting second is set a target of 290 runs in their second innings then the bowling team have to bowl them out for less than the 290 they require if the team manage to get the 290 runs then they win by the number of wickets lefts.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Cheers SL, just what I was looking for.

BB, in my defence, I'm Irish. We don't see much cricket outside of the posh boys clubs in Dublin :lol:
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

It gets worse. Archer has limped off, Stokes has to complete his over.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Will someone tell the England Batsmen they are not playing Rounders. Great Bowling performance from the Aussies. Can't believe the Ashes is over already....
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I think the Aussies will miss a trick if they don't declare this morning. If they declare and put us in, then we will be all out by lunch-time and they will get the afternoon off.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Trent Bridge today for the t20. Come on the Vikings.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Come on England we can do this..
Winner of the Europa League