The Cricket Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by Mr Russell »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Jimmy Anderson takes his 564th wicket as England won the 5th test by 118 runs and in the process becomes the leading fast bowling wicket taker going past Glenn McGrath's 563 wickets.
Its a great effort by Jimmy, England will hope he can keep going for another couple of years at least. Read an article where Jimmy rates Glenn McGrath as the best fast bowler of all time.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Yorkshire beat the old enemy this morning, it's looking like relegation for the Red Rose now.
still feel that YCC need to get something out of their remaining games to avoid going down as well but great result considering they were 4/33 at one stage.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Deleted User 2747

Post by Deleted User 2747 »

I'm suffering from Test match withdrawal symptoms............ :cry:

The series with India was particularly good because it was played in the best possible sporting spirit. :clap: :clap: :clap:

I listened to it on Radio 5 Live and watch the highlights on 5. I refuse to pay money to Sky. I personally think it is about time we had the national cricket team back on terrestrial TV. Everyone should be able to see their national teams playing any sport,,,,,including England soccer friendlies. IMHO :twisted:

Also:

Does anyone know why Yorkshire are getting rid of so many of their top players? :?
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

@frankie

The exodus at Headingley is purely financially driven. The club is in debt & needs to make cut backs. Players like Plunkett, Rashid, Brooks, Ballance etc are all top earners. There's a lot of unrest at the moment like a dressing room fight between 2 senior players, one now has gone. I'm not against cut backs but I will revolt if the spine of the team isn't from Yorkshire, suppose I'm a traditionalist.

Those that have left or are leaving.

Liam Plunkett - highest earner at the club. Constantly away with England & injured most of the time when playing for Yorkshire. Offered a 3 year contract at Surrey, will hardly play for them next year what with World Cup commitments. Surrey once again proving they have way too much cash.

Jack Brooks - Offered a 2 year contract, Somerset offered a 3 year deal with more money. At 33 who can blame him.

Adil Rashid - Wants to dictate when he plays. Club should have got rid after the Lords debacle 2 years ago.

Azeem Rafiq - Lot of personal issues & simply not good enough imho.

Andy Hodd - Retired as his back is in a bad way.

Garry Ballance - Again personal issues are affecting his game. I know what they are but not willing to share ;)

Alex Lees - Confidence totally shot at YCCC he had to move on because for 2 years he's being stealing a wage.

The future however is bright as there a succession of youngsters about to make a break through to join the likes of Brook, Fisher, Coad, Waite, Thompson, Cadmore, Warner, Tattersall, Carver & Shaw.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Thanks for the above, the words transition period spring to mind. Are Moxon and Gale the men to steer them through it though ?
Deleted User 2747

NottinghamWhite wrote:@frankie

The exodus at Headingley is purely financially driven. The club is in debt & needs to make cut backs. Players like Plunkett, Rashid, Brooks, Ballance etc are all top earners. There's a lot of unrest at the moment like a dressing room fight between 2 senior players, one now has gone. I'm not against cut backs but I will revolt if the spine of the team isn't from Yorkshire, suppose I'm a traditionalist.

Those that have left or are leaving.

Liam Plunkett - highest earner at the club. Constantly away with England & injured most of the time when playing for Yorkshire. Offered a 3 year contract at Surrey, will hardly play for them next year what with World Cup commitments. Surrey once again proving they have way too much cash.

Jack Brooks - Offered a 2 year contract, Somerset offered a 3 year deal with more money. At 33 who can blame him.

Adil Rashid - Wants to dictate when he plays. Club should have got rid after the Lords debacle 2 years ago.

Azeem Rafiq - Lot of personal issues & simply not good enough imho.

Andy Hodd - Retired as his back is in a bad way.

Garry Ballance - Again personal issues are affecting his game. I know what they are but not willing to share ;)

Alex Lees - Confidence totally shot at YCCC he had to move on because for 2 years he's being stealing a wage.

The future however is bright as there a succession of youngsters about to make a break through to join the likes of Brook, Fisher, Coad, Waite, Thompson, Cadmore, Warner, Tattersall, Carver & Shaw.

Thanks for that.

I read recently about all of the investments that are being made at the ground with new 'state of the art stands' etc. I guess that is in partnership with private companies.

Your assessment seems spot on.

I agree, that traditionally players have mostly been from Yorkshire and I hope that will continue in the future.

I guess the big issue these days is that the England players play so many matches that they barely ever play for their county teams.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Well done Worcestershire on winning the T20 final, pleased for Moeen.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

3 days at Headingley this week for me.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 2747

Adil Rashid to sign new contract at Yorkshire as an all-format cricketer

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... -cricketer
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Frankie wrote:Adil Rashid to sign new contract at Yorkshire as an all-format cricketer

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/ ... -cricketer
And so he should if he wants to stay, maybe his run in the England team has re-ignited his passion for the red ball again.