The Cricket Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Still shaken by the death of Shane Warne don’t think anyone could have predicted that happening.

R.I.P.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Well done to Johnny Bairstow who scores another century which saves England from another embarrassing performance, good support from Foakes.

Well done for both teams for wearing the black armbands of cricketers dying recently, great gesture.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
ChilwellWhite

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Yet another magnificent century from Joe Root yesterday where does this put him in the all time Yorkshire born greats ? He’s certainly up against stiff opposition in Boycott, Rhodes, Leyland, Hutton and Sutcliffe. What a shame that players like Joe rarely frequent the county circuit these days as they would be real box office and get bums on seats in the Championship.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Suppose you could add Boff Lehman to the list of great batsmen who’ve played for the White Rose but he didn’t have the same impact on the international stage averaging just 45 for the Aussies. Agree though the likes of Cook, in his prime, Root, Bairstow & Stokes would get people back into grounds for Championship games, sadly they’re all heavily wrapped in cotton wool these days. I know for a fact Joes wanted to play for YCCC but the ECB put a stop to it.

Meanwhile things at Headingley go from bad to worse as ex Chairman Robin Smith wages war against current Chairman Patel. Sadly this is all to the detriment of my county & can only see things ending in tears. When Patel took over he insisted on clarity & the fans knowing everything but just recently YCCC flew out to Dubai to play a friendly against Gloucestershire & fans were informed as the players were in the air en route to the Middle East.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Made up yesterday to see Matt Fisher ( a Leeds fan ) get his first Test wicket. Have met him a few times & he’s a lovely guy, very down to earth & grounded. His mum, brother, sister, aunt & girlfriend were there to witness it.

https://twitter.com/surreycricfan/statu ... 75648?s=21
ChilwellWhite

Post by ChilwellWhite »

So England and West Indies draw on a road of a pitch. Wasn’t the best spectacle if I’m honest one thing that concerns me is that Matt Fisher only bowled 2 overs in the second innings hopefully he’s not picked up an injury, something he’s very prone to.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I'm surprised at some of the pitches around the world atm, the Windies used to have fast death traps when they ruled the world but the pitches they have trudged out in the first 2 tests are like what India used to serve up in the 60-90's.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Dreadful pitch I agree it was never going to produce loads of wickets. Even the West Indian commentators were saying it was unacceptable. I love my cricket but some of the sessions were nothing short of boring. Brathwaite was at the crease almost 12 hours in the first innings scoring 160 runs off of 82 overs. Alex Lees embarrass himself in his Test debut , as CW says I wonder if Matt Fisher was carrying an injury and Mahmood managed 4 wickets on his debut so all in all not a bad day at the office for the newbies.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Pretty bad when your Number 11 is the top scorer for your team, unlucky Mahmood for not getting your 50 today!

Top 7 should be ashamed of themselves for their effort in the 3rd Test.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Felt for Mahmood not getting his maiden Test half century. Speaks volumes when your number 11 is top scorer. Decent knock though.
Apparently it’s the first time since 1885 that the top scorers have been a number 10 & 11. I still have a feeling Mark Wood would have loved these conditions.