The Cricket Thread

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: The Cricket Thread

Post by johnh »

CorkWhite wrote:Delighted for England to overcome such a huge deficit and overcome adversity especially with an Australian team with such a historic lead. Now England can believe,...... Advantage England, Ashes to come home once again after this win. momentum will surely swing in England's favor. Don't you just love sports that give us these epic moments. Well done Stokes and also to Leach putting on a fine performance for a 76 last stand partnership.

Fantastic stuff and at one of my favorite grounds too Edgebaston where i have been a few times over the years
It was at Headingley. (Where I have been a few times over the years, lived 5 minutes walk away in the 1950's) :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

johnh wrote:
CorkWhite wrote:Delighted for England to overcome such a huge deficit and overcome adversity especially with an Australian team with such a historic lead. Now England can believe,...... Advantage England, Ashes to come home once again after this win. momentum will surely swing in England's favor. Don't you just love sports that give us these epic moments. Well done Stokes and also to Leach putting on a fine performance for a 76 last stand partnership.

Fantastic stuff and at one of my favorite grounds too Edgebaston where i have been a few times over the years
It was at Headingley. (Where I have been a few times over the years, lived 5 minutes walk away in the 1950's) :D
OOPS :lol: I should stay away from the alcohol, I genuinely meant Headingley :lol: I have been to both grounds when i was in both Leeds and Birmingham, never been to Lords though or Trent Bridge.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Ben Stokes is man for any occasion. They breed em well in New Zealand. Can't wait for the highlights what a knock.
Deleted User 3289

Wow. Even if you don't like Cricket you have got to watch what Ben Stokes did yesterday on Channel 5 catch-up tv. It was the equivalent of a Captain who had lost all but one of his men to scurvy and then was about to be attacked by a ship full of pirates and fought them all off. Unbelievable Geoffrey.....
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Test cricket certainly needed a match like this to remind the casual fans how dramatic it can be and how it is the only form of cricket that can have this much depth and narrative and so many twists and turns. You can have plenty of dramatic finishes in one day cricket but you just can't have the slow building narrative spread over a few days and building to such a crescendo like today. England fans were sounding the death knell of our Test team two days ago and lamenting our complete inability to play patient, disciplined cricket with the bat. Some people saying that our 67 all out was one of our darkest ever days. Two days later and we've turned the game on it's head and had one of our greatest ever days.

We can't let the euphoria cloud over the obvious problems, both specifically with this England team and Test cricket in general. We need to show that the disciplined batting of the second innings isn't a one off and we can repeat it again. The first innings was still shockingly bad and there still needs to be an inquest into it. Root's captaincy needs to be reviewed too. He's clearly struggling with the pressure and it's affecting his batting. Stokes is the obvious choice but could the captaincy have the same negative effect on his game?

The root and branch issues affecting Test cricket are still there and won't go away just because of one stunning Test and potentially a brilliant series if we can take it down to The Oval with all still to play for. There's still the issue with young cricketers being taught to be white ball players first and foremost and not learning the basics of Test match batting: patience, shot selection, playing each ball on it's merits and not chasing runs when it's not necessary. Hopefully if this turns into a classic series, one of the legacies will be that it will remind everyone that Test cricket is still entertaining and relevant in this day and age and is still worth investing in and coaching players for. And maybe it'll fire the imagination of some kids who up to now hadn't really paid attention to Test cricket and were used to the fast pace of Twenty20 and 50 overs. Maybe they'll now be wanting to be the next Ben Stokes facing the red ball in a future Ashes series ?
Winner of the Europa League
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Test cricket certainly needed a match like this to remind the casual fans how dramatic it can be and how it is the only form of cricket that can have this much depth and narrative and so many twists and turns. You can have plenty of dramatic finishes in one day cricket but you just can't have the slow building narrative spread over a few days and building to such a crescendo like today. England fans were sounding the death knell of our Test team two days ago and lamenting our complete inability to play patient, disciplined cricket with the bat. Some people saying that our 67 all out was one of our darkest ever days. Two days later and we've turned the game on it's head and had one of our greatest ever days.

We can't let the euphoria cloud over the obvious problems, both specifically with this England team and Test cricket in general. We need to show that the disciplined batting of the second innings isn't a one off and we can repeat it again. The first innings was still shockingly bad and there still needs to be an inquest into it. Root's captaincy needs to be reviewed too. He's clearly struggling with the pressure and it's affecting his batting. Stokes is the obvious choice but could the captaincy have the same negative effect on his game?

The root and branch issues affecting Test cricket are still there and won't go away just because of one stunning Test and potentially a brilliant series if we can take it down to The Oval with all still to play for. There's still the issue with young cricketers being taught to be white ball players first and foremost and not learning the basics of Test match batting: patience, shot selection, playing each ball on it's merits and not chasing runs when it's not necessary. Hopefully if this turns into a classic series, one of the legacies will be that it will remind everyone that Test cricket is still entertaining and relevant in this day and age and is still worth investing in and coaching players for. And maybe it'll fire the imagination of some kids who up to now hadn't really paid attention to Test cricket and were used to the fast pace of Twenty20 and 50 overs. Maybe they'll now be wanting to be the next Ben Stokes facing the red ball in a future Ashes series ?
I`m glad you mentioned Root NW, I follow the cricket but not as avidly as yourself, but Root has been showing the signs of the pressure for a little while and agree has had an effect on his batting, in his interviews he sometimes comes across as a lost little boy and yesterday he went on to congratulate Stokes and kept getting shunted out of the way, I don't think he comes across as having authority, just an opinion.
Deleted User 3289

Agree about Root why isn't a bowler ever captain. (maybe they are?). Batting requires so much focus there is little room for anything else imo, atleast with a bowler he is able to release the aggression/frustration when they bowl and think of nothing else other than setting the field.

I don't follow Cricket like you NW but isn't white ball where the money is these days? Big Bash, IPL to name a couple, and do you think that could be playing a major role in how young people see their future?

One thing that does flummox me when it comes to Batting in test Cricket is how poor some players defences are. Take Jason Roy for instance. Why can't the lad just wait for the right ball instead of slinging his bat at everything. Obviously Stokes was outstanding but without Jack Leach's defensively minded short innings it wouldn't have happened.

Steve Smith as been a master of the right ball so far.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

What a great test match! Surprisingly its being well received over here although there are a few who have whinged about the plum LBW which the umpires did not give and Australia had used all their reviews so they were out of options but they had blown it on another LBW decision which was a mistake. I remember Stokes being 2 off 77 balls but he turned into one of the great Ashes innings and keeps the series alive.

For the Aussies they stil have the best batsman of the series to come back in Smith so its not all over for them (just yet) but they have as many batting woes as England does, sorry but Roy has to go, he is not a test batsman (great one day player) in any sense. Both batting sides are pretty weak really bar 2 or 3 who can get innings. Root can't be captain any longer, Stokes saved his bacon in this match but he needs to concentrate on his batting. I said to my mate in England they should go with either Broad (for the short term) or Stokes, he told me Broad was a (insert swear word) so i he'd be perfect was my response :lol:

Has shades of that great 2005 series, the last two test will be fascinating cricket and i just hope the weather stays good!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Off to the Pattonair ground tomorrow to see Derbyshire v Australia a 15 minute journey door to door & just £16 to get in. No Warner or Lyon but all the other Aussies will be on show.
Winner of the Europa League
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

The Test match starts today I’m looking forward to it, let’s hope the weather plays nicely.