Happy Yorkshire Day

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Chris Abbott
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Happy Yorkshire Day

Post by Chris Abbott »

I know that at almost every match Leeds fans demonstrate how proud they are of Yorkshire but how many care about real Yorkshire?

Local government changes in 1974 created artificial counties like Cleveland, Humbugside, West Yorkshire, North Yorkshire, South Yorkshire etc. The public perception was that these were real counties but they were only there for local government administration. What is not widely realised is the 1974 changes abolised the West Riding County Council and North Riding County Council but it did not abolish the West Riding, North Riding and East Riding. Yorkshire has never given up any territory yet people assume it has, even though the artificial counties were long since abolished.

Today is Yorkshire Day and in many of those areas affected by the 1974 changes we use this day to reaffirm our loyality to Yorkshire by wearing a white rose and attending a reading of the Yorkshire Declaration of Integrity. I live in Redcar and our local reading takes place today at 11.38 am on Redcar High Street by the town clock. 11.38 am is chosen because it is 1138 years since the first recorded reference to the Ridings of York (shires came later) in the Anglo Saxon Chronicles in the year 876. Next year it will be held at 11.39am. We have been doing it since 1997. The readings around the walls of York, which take place at the four bars (gates), have been held since 1975, changing by one minute each year till 12 noon is reached when it will stay at that time.

We sell white roses and all the funds raised go to Redcar Lifeboat.

Happy Yorkshire Day
Always use Yorkshire as part of your postal address from the River Tees to the River Humber.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Happy Yorkshire Day

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Aye! There's nowt better than knowing your a Yorkshireman. Happy Yorkshire Day folks.
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Happy Yorkshire Day to Leeds fans everywhere. MOT
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

No one has wished me Happy Yorkshire Day down here in leafy Berkshire. Maybe they all know I'm a Scouser. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Chris Abbott
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Chris Abbott »

Here is a link to Yorkshire Day news story at Redcar. http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teess ... rM.twitter
Always use Yorkshire as part of your postal address from the River Tees to the River Humber.