Areas of Leeds

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
CrisPeacock
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Areas of Leeds

Post by CrisPeacock »

Hi everyone
I always wanted to live in Leeds and maybe next year I’ll try to do it- it's the only way to really Marching On Together. Can you tell me what are the best places to rent/buy a house/apartment in Leeds?
I don’t have to live in the center of the city (hmmm...why not?)but also don’t want to live in a remote area where is just one shop.
I heard that the worst areas are Harehills, Chapeltown, Holbeck, Belle Isle, centre of Armley , Beeston... / the best are Alwoodley, Moortown, Morley, Beeston (Cross Flats Area)... (yes I know...every street can be different)
I’ll be honest...there are many areas look sick :thumbdown: but for example Roundhay, Horsforth look really good :thumbup:
I remember the hill where you can see the location of the stadium- it looked like a perfect place to live in Leeds. I saw there a lot of nice people and a lot of green.
The most important is: I WANT TO LIVE WHERE MY GIRLFRIEND WILL BE SAFE.
Any suggestions will be very helpful for me.
Thanks
LUFCTALK Prediction League Winner 2014-2015
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Areas of Leeds

Post by SMorientes »

Hi Cris. In order to be really, really safe, you might want to look at places like Roundhay and Horsforth, but they are very expensive, very middle class and quite far from town and Elland Road.
Personally I would recommend Wortley or the upper end of Armley. Wortley is a great location, I think it might be where you mean when you talk about the hill overlooking the stadium. it's a 20 minute walk to the ground from the middle of Wortley and it's one which is used by a large stream of Leeds fans, so the atmosphere builds in a really exciting way as you get closer to the stadium. Wortley is also pretty safe without being too upper class or out of the way. I have plenty of friends that grew up there, and I grew up not far away as well and none of us have ever felt too unsafe.
I don't know if it will have an effect on your decision, but there is a large Polish contingent in Armley, lots of Polish/Eastern European shops and stuff, plus it's a very cheap place to live. Some streets in Armley are quite rough, but on the whole it's not dangerous, and it's improved vastly in the last 10 years. My partner feels safe and I feel confident that she is safe to walk from place to place in Armley.

I'm sure others will make a case for their favourite parts of the city, but I think west Leeds is a great place to live, and a lot of European people have decided the same thing. :thumbup:
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Maplewhite
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Maplewhite »

Speaking from a northerly point of view of Leeds (and on 20 years ago), Roundhay, Moortown, Alwoodley, Adel, Shadwell, Horsforth aren't too bad a place to put up sticks. Every area has its moments, you just have to make the best of what there is on offer.
Further than that you kind of get into the 1 shop locale. But the most important item about that is there is at least 1 pub to go with it. ;)
The generation that doesn't study history has no past nor a future
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I think Morley is a good place to live. Very convenient for ER too. Good transport links to Bradford and Wakefield, the only downside being that there are also good links to Huddersfield. :D I lived in Headingley, Old Farnley and Wortley but that was a long time ago, though I agree with the comments on Wortley in another post. I lived in Morley (Bruntcliffe) for a short time and there are definitely worse places to live.
I once played against Don Revie.
CrisPeacock
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by CrisPeacock »

Thank you all for your suggestions :thumbup:

I like areas away from the city centre with their own marketplace- safe, quiet, green...with everything you need near home- then each trip to the city centre or to the stadium is attractive ;)
When it comes to Google Maps the winner is Horsforth... at this moment ;)
Generally Northwest looks like another world in comparison to „the worst section”

Let me know if you have more good places in Leeds.
LUFCTALK Prediction League Winner 2014-2015
frank
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by frank »

Only lived for over a year in Leeds (as an exchange student from Amsterdam) but use to love living in Headingley.

Very buzzing place with ofcourse loads of students and some bars / shops and restaurant as well. What I really liked about living in this place that even it could be busy at times on the main street, if you would take a side street it could be a whole different place. Very quiet, nice and green. Also only about 15 mins away from the centre by bus.

Also not far from the Cricket and Rugby ground if you are into that!