Travel

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Travel

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:I know Guildford has a cathedral as I walked past it several times going to the cricket last year & pretty certain it’s a town. Also where the daughter lives she went a christening pre Covid-19 at Northampton cathedral but the football club are Northampton Town so I’d say it’s a town.
Edit to say ‘er indoors reckons Carlisle is another Town with a cathedral :roll:
She’s cooking on gas ‘ere with Southwell here in the shire of Nottingham :D
Found a list and you are correct with Northampton & Southwell but Carlisle is classed as a City.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Selby White wrote:...I've always thought if a place has a cathedral it becomes a City rather than a town...
I know in Ireland there used to be several conditions required to gain city status. Most probably similar to Britain, from which a lot of our legislation was derived due to the occupation for centuries.

I remember being told that those conditions included having a cathedral (Ireland required 2, both Catholic and Protestant to appease everyone), a river, a minimum population (dunno what is was) and a fortressed/walled urban area - it was a long time ago in fairness.

I seem to recall there were 7 conditions, but that's all I can remember.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 10260

Post by Deleted User 10260 »

Middlesborough has a Cathedral and am sure it's not a City.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Wells and Ely must be the smallest cities. Have been to both and apart from the cathedrals there is not much else.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:Wells and Ely must be the smallest cities. Have been to both and apart from the cathedrals there is not much else.
Have been to Ely impressive building it is.

St David's in Wales is the smallest city (with cathedral) I am informed by Mrs SW.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Middlesboro is indeed on the list of towns with a Cathedral.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Selby White wrote:Middlesboro is indeed on the list of towns with a Cathedral.
SW, we stayed in the Premier Inn Cheltenham next to TGI`S for 3 nights from Thursday last week and went to Broughton on the water, Burford and Stratford on Saturday.

Arundel just up the road from me has a Cathedral.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

LAsouthcoast wrote:
SW, we stayed in the Premier Inn Cheltenham next to TGI`S for 3 nights from Thursday last week and went to Broughton on the water, Burford and Stratford on Saturday.

We must have been in Cheltenham at the same time, we stayed at the Premier Inn on the High Street (Fri to Mon) and looking at yours it's near the Railway Station I believe.
Was a toss up which we stayed at so could easily have ended uo at same place, small world.

Arundel is another :thumbup:
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Selby White wrote:
LAsouthcoast wrote:

We must have been in Cheltenham at the same time, we stayed at the Premier Inn on the High Street (Fri to Mon) and looking at yours it's near the Railway Station I believe.
Was a toss up which we stayed at so could easily have ended uo at same place, small world.

We walked passed yours, near the brewery quarter i believe, ours was at the Tivoli end of town.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

LAsouthcoast wrote:
Selby White wrote:
LAsouthcoast wrote:

We walked passed yours, near the brewery quarter i believe, ours was at the Tivoli end of town.
Yes that's the one although getting a coffee in the Brewery quarter we didn't eat at restaurants there.
Fri it was Prezzo but the one on the Promenade, Sat was the Chinese think it was called Mayflower.
Saturday we went on train to Cam to visit Cathy's sister but Sunday toured Cheltenham, walked up the cycle path to Pittville Park in the morning.

Wonder if at some stage our paths crossed, never know.

At least we got nice weather. :thumbup: