Travel

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Travel

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Sniffer wrote:I've just paid for 5 nights in New York in October. It's a place I'd never really thought about going to but the other half was keen (she mentioned something about shopping ...). Anyway, we're going with an old friend who used to live there and who goes back most years. He'll steer us clear of the tourist traps and point out the best places to visit/things to do. There are a few music related walking tours that you can do, apparently, so I've gone from not particularly fussed to dead excited. And I've only got 9 months to wait.

What a fantastic vibrant city The Big Apple is. We were there 18 months ago for 3 nights as part of a tour. We even managed to get ourselves to the Statton Island ferry using the subway. The New Yorkers we encountered were brilliant especially when they realised we were English. We stayed very near to Grand Central station, that in its self is worth visiting, so we were really central. There is quiet a large Leeds following in New York & they get a lot in one particular bar whenever we play. The bar is called Legends & it's near to The Empire State Building.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Barlow Boy wrote:
ruelfox wrote:Nothing too exotic but Leeds in a few weeks,then off to france for the euros then lanzarote in September!
Daft question, but presumably you have got tickets for the England games ?
Think you'll find he's going to see Northern Ireland ;)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Selby having visited Buenos Aries a couple of times it's like any other major city in as much pickpockets operate particularly on the main drag Florida Street. We've never had any problems but just to let you know it does go on. The steak houses in BA are amazing with probably the best steak I've ever eaten. Last time we were there I went to Boca Juniors ground & as the gates were open asked a chap if I could look inside he just shrugged his shoulders & walked off so we went in & took a couple of photos.

Staying with Boca Juniors we went into a bar & the owner told me why they play in yellow & blue. When the club was formed they decided to go to the docks & whichever ship came in they'd use those colours the first ship to come in was Swedish hence the colours.
Got to hate pickpocts they are everywhere they find a crowd, never been caught out myself but came close in San Francisco once but sussed them and had a barny as they was a bit narked i warned other people.
An elderly German couple at our hotel in Lisbon lost everything on their last day felt so sorry for them they were devastated. Long story but the hotel wouldn't help them and told them to go to the embassy, I ended up giving them cash for a taxi to the airport as they would have missed their flight. The Lady insisted on my address and the money was sent to me a few days later.

We actually got 10 nights in Buenos Aries but was origionally planning to go for 8. However there was a special deal on if you booked 10 and its actually £400 cheaper (£200 each) for flight/hotel deal than the shorter stay. Not going with travel company sorting everything ourselves.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Sniffer wrote:I've just paid for 5 nights in New York in October. It's a place I'd never really thought about going to but the other half was keen (she mentioned something about shopping ...). Anyway, we're going with an old friend who used to live there and who goes back most years. He'll steer us clear of the tourist traps and point out the best places to visit/things to do. There are a few music related walking tours that you can do, apparently, so I've gone from not particularly fussed to dead excited. And I've only got 9 months to wait.

What a fantastic vibrant city The Big Apple is. We were there 18 months ago for 3 nights as part of a tour. We even managed to get ourselves to the Statton Island ferry using the subway. The New Yorkers we encountered were brilliant especially when they realised we were English. We stayed very near to Grand Central station, that in its self is worth visiting, so we were really central. There is quiet a large Leeds following in New York & they get a lot in one particular bar whenever we play. The bar is called Legends & it's near to The Empire State Building.
Sure is a vibrant city suggest you do your homework before you go and plan exactly what you want to see and do as you'll run out of time. Is 10 years since i was last there and must admit I'm overdue a return.
I love the States and NY is a must visit you'll love it (although Chicago is my personal fav City).
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 972

Post by Deleted User 972 »

Ha ha. Republic of Ireland NW. No tickets,yet but being a season ticket holder I have a decent chance,hopefully,I applied twice, our allocation is only 15,000 for Sweden, 8,000 for Italy and 7 for Belgium,I will get tickets 1 way or another!. The Sweden game especially the ground holds 80thousand so shud pick 1 up.
Deleted User 972

Post by Deleted User 972 »

Although the Ireland Sweden game is,in the top 3 most applied for games and Irish fans are in the top 5 countries who applied the most!
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

NottinghamWhite wrote:

We're staying on the New Jersey side with rooms looking out over the Hudson towards Manhattan and there's a free ferry right outside the hotel. I'll look out for Legends and will pop in even if we're not playing. Cheers, NW :thumbup:
It'll be our first time in the States, SW, and we're both ridiculously excited. So much that NY will be researched to death over the next few months. :D
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Sniffer Legends bar press here

Just remembered we went to a place called The Chelsea Market. What an incredible place it was the seafood on offer was to die for. Normally anything remotely like shopping I avoid like the plague but this was an exception. I would have been so disappointed if I'd not gone.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Sniffer Legends bar press here
That looks awesome. I could spend every day in there. :lol:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Match day in Legends.