Travel

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Travel

Post by Sniffer »

18th: My birthday. What did they do to make me feel special? Nothing! I had to endure free food, luxurious surroundings, educational lectures, cinema and live entertainment like everyone else.
Damn them!
19th: More of the same but the first Gala Night - ie get a bigger dressing-up box.

This is our usual holiday get-up.
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

The thing about being diverted south meant that it was a lot warmer that it would normally be. A walk around the deck was quite balmy and would be recommended if it weren't for the wind. Which I blamed on the unusually rich diet.
22nd: We awoke to find that we had been diverted north due to a seriously sick passenger. We steamed 800 miles north towards Newfoundland. 200 miles south of St Johns we waited for a Canadian Life Guard helicopter, accompanied by a Hercules that circled the liner, to evacuate the ill passenger. Then we turned south and headed for New York arriving in Brooklyn at about midday the following day.
That night was the last on the QM2 and there was an American night in the ballroom.
Those balloons were dropped from the ceiling and burst in a mad and vicious 5 minutes. It was the best time I've had with balloons since I was 5.
23rd: Spent nearly 3 hours queueing to get through customs but enjoyed the welcome ("You've done this before. Welcome back"), got a cab from Brooklyn over the East River to Manhattan and the Hudson ferry terminal over to Weehawken (next to Hoboken, birthplace of Frank Sinatra) in New Jersey. Just up from the ferry terminal is where Sully landed the plane on the Hudson.
24th: Spent a few days getting reacquainted with the Big Cox's Orange Pippin. We wandered the High Line, a former railway line above the city that has been turned in to a picturesque walkway of a few miles.
I took a picture of our hotel from there. Not that you can really see it.
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

28th: Moved to a hotel on Manhattan island in the Midtown district. This was the first time that we'd stayed in the heart of the madness. And it was fantastic. Turn right out of the hotel and we were in the Theatreland of Broadway and the bright lights of Times Square. Turn left and we were in the funky Hells Kitchen.

Over the next few days we visited the Met Museum, the Museum of Modern Art, Central Park (a lot and still saw less that half of it), the New York Public Library. We saw the musical Donna Summer, about her life and her music. And enjoyed a Macarthur Park-A-Rita (Margarita) and a Disco Inferno (Bloody Mary). ;)

We saw some interesting street art. This has a partner in Bristol, a portrait of John Lennon with the same rainbow colours.

And this one just seemed groovy in a funky kind-a-way. It was in Queens/Brooklyn on the way to JFK Airport to fly home.

Loved it. I hope I can do it again some day.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Excellent read with my morning coffee :D
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Looks the biz Sniff. Good contrast between the festival field and the Tuxedo :thumbup:
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Excellent posts Sniffer. Loved the pictures, You looked like you were having a great time. Sometimes i think we all deserve something like this in our lives.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Thanks Sniffer, great photo's to enjoy with my tea and toast.
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Nice one Sniffer great report and pics, thanks for posting.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Enjoy that, Sniffer!
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Looks like you had a ball, can see the enjoyment on your faces, needs done every now and again. glad you had a great time.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders