Travel

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Travel

Post by LAsouthcoast »

johnh wrote:
LAsouthcoast wrote:Just back from 3 nights in Devizes, went there with another couple after we had booked a day out at Richard Hannon`s horse racing stables, it was such a beautiful place and he couldn`t have been more welcoming, giving a good insight to the workings of a racing stables. On Friday we walked the Caen Locks along the Kennet and Avon canal, all in all a really nice break in which we were very lucky with weather.
Devizes! it is burned on my brain. I did my National Service basic training at Devizes (1954). Always remember, on the first leave (after 4 weeks) 72 hour pass, there was a coach laid on to Leeds. It went via Banbury, Birmingham and Sheffield. No motorways and right through the centre of said Cities. 14 hours to Leeds and 14 hours back. Felt sorry for the guys from north of Leeds, Newcastle, Scotland, as they weren't allowed to go home.
You obviously know it well then John, we ate at the Black Swan and Three Crowns if that stirs your memory.
Driving into Devizes we crossed a number of tank crossings as well.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

LAsouthcoast wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
LAsouthcoast wrote:Just back from 3 nights in Devizes, went there with another couple after we had booked a day out at Richard Hannon`s horse racing stables, it was such a beautiful place and he couldn`t have been more welcoming, giving a good insight to the workings of a racing stables. On Friday we walked the Caen Locks along the Kennet and Avon canal, all in all a really nice break in which we were very lucky with weather.
Was it actually Richard Hannon who showed you around the place ?
It was part of the syndicate we are in, we arrived and after a briefing were led passed his house to a replica parade ring which is overlooked by his offices, a microphone was in place and he came down and talked about his set up before the horses came in the parade ring with him giving a low down on each horse, we were then taken to his gallops to watch them do a bit of work before returning to the parade ring where some of the them were unsaddled so we could get close up, then he gave time for a question and answer session which was really good, also it was great to see his Dad still watching the gallops in his Range Rover as well.
What a day you’ve had, brilliant, always fancied ownership myself. I often look at the syndicates put together by the trainers.

Fingers crossed for your horse(s).
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

Selby White wrote:
Only time I've stayed in Wiltshire is for sport, Swindon many times :oops: but that was because I was playing table tennis there.
Did stay and play golf in Marlborough once, was a interworks tournament and played a team comp against head office. All expenses paid by the company :D

Should try see more of it that's for sure, Nice area.

Am heading to Somerset for a few nights in a week's time, Taunton to visit Mrs SW's brother then somewhere called Chard to see her long time friend (school days).
Chard is named after Cerdic one of the first West Saxon kings. I think it was Walter Scott who spelled it wrong in one of his books (Ivanhoe or somesuch) and that is where we get the name Cedric.
In the West Country, to people of a certain age, Chard is forever associated with a rather naff advert for a stately home called Cricket St Thomas. TV show To The Manor Born was filmed there and later it became Noel Edmonds' Blobby theme park. but in the late 70s/early 80s it was a house and parkland to visit. And the advert would finish "Cricket St Thomas near Chard".
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

LAsouthcoast wrote:
johnh wrote:
Devizes! it is burned on my brain. I did my National Service basic training at Devizes (1954). Always remember, on the first leave (after 4 weeks) 72 hour pass, there was a coach laid on to Leeds. It went via Banbury, Birmingham and Sheffield. No motorways and right through the centre of said Cities. 14 hours to Leeds and 14 hours back. Felt sorry for the guys from north of Leeds, Newcastle, Scotland, as they weren't allowed to go home.
You obviously know it well then John, we ate at the Black Swan and Three Crowns if that stirs your memory.
Driving into Devizes we crossed a number of tank crossings as well.
Sadly no. The camp was several miles out of Devizes, plus the fact that we never had any free time to go into town. From memory we went once after we had 'passed out'.
I once played against Don Revie.
LAsouthcoast
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by LAsouthcoast »

Barlow Boy wrote:
LAsouthcoast wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Was it actually Richard Hannon who showed you around the place ?
It was part of the syndicate we are in, we arrived and after a briefing were led passed his house to a replica parade ring which is overlooked by his offices, a microphone was in place and he came down and talked about his set up before the horses came in the parade ring with him giving a low down on each horse, we were then taken to his gallops to watch them do a bit of work before returning to the parade ring where some of the them were unsaddled so we could get close up, then he gave time for a question and answer session which was really good, also it was great to see his Dad still watching the gallops in his Range Rover as well.
What a day you’ve had, brilliant, always fancied ownership myself. I often look at the syndicates put together by the trainers.

Fingers crossed for your horse(s).
It is purely for fun BB, i`m with Owners Group it costs Between £50- £60 per horse for a year, you get video updates, a monthly magazine, the chance to go to the meeting you horse runs at and the chance of visits to stables, I have 1 with Alan King ( Wurlitzer) and 1 with Paul Nichols(Huelgoat) I think it is great value for money.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Sniffer wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Only time I've stayed in Wiltshire is for sport, Swindon many times :oops: but that was because I was playing table tennis there.
Did stay and play golf in Marlborough once, was a interworks tournament and played a team comp against head office. All expenses paid by the company :D

Should try see more of it that's for sure, Nice area.

Am heading to Somerset for a few nights in a week's time, Taunton to visit Mrs SW's brother then somewhere called Chard to see her long time friend (school days).
Chard is named after Cerdic one of the first West Saxon kings. I think it was Walter Scott who spelled it wrong in one of his books (Ivanhoe or somesuch) and that is where we get the name Cedric.
In the West Country, to people of a certain age, Chard is forever associated with a rather naff advert for a stately home called Cricket St Thomas. TV show To The Manor Born was filmed there and later it became Noel Edmonds' Blobby theme park. but in the late 70s/early 80s it was a house and parkland to visit. And the advert would finish "Cricket St Thomas near Chard".
Thanks Sniffer, always like to learn both a bit of history and trivia about places we visit. :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
TyraNoah
Giddy Kipper

Post by TyraNoah »

I have visited the African continent,
Kenya to be precise, their city at the coast (Mombasa) is just a magical experience.
I took the chance to visit The Maasai Mara and witness the wild beast migration (It's actually a wonder of the world).

why not try our septic tank inspection service | https://www.achieveng.com/geotechnical- ... -services/
Last edited by TyraNoah on 19 Oct 2021, 10:10, edited 1 time in total.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

TyraNoah wrote:I have visited the African continent,
Kenya to be precise, their city at the coast (Mombasa) is just a magical experience.
I took the chance to visit The Maasai Mara and witness the wild beast migration (It's actually a wonder of the world).
Welcome to the forum
Winner of the Europa League
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

hi welcome in. That would be one of my very few travel wishes, watching the wilderbeast migration. What a spectacle.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Davycc wrote:hi welcome in. That would be one of my very few travel wishes, watching the wilderbeast migration. What a spectacle.
... and Davy, did you forget something...? :D
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay