Travel

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 3289

Re: Travel

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Nice touch that Pock. :thumbup:

ashingtonleeds any murders aboard. :D What a place to finish aswell...Venice!

Just got back from Rotterdam. Wasn't keen, reminds me too much of Manchester. Scarred by it's industrial past and a bit gloomy. I'm sure if you dig a little deeper you can find some charm but we won't be going back. 2 visits to Holland and I didn't like either. Perhaps the countryside is better than the city?
Last edited by Deleted User 3289 on 06 Jul 2017, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Happy belated birthday Ashington and what a great way to celebrate it.
60 is the new 40, well it will be next year ;)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

VHTM, Got to agree i find Holland a bit average, and certainly not on my favorites list.
ashingtonleeds
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by ashingtonleeds »

Thanks SW - I think I'm still 27 - until the knees start to ache that is!
Anyway it was fantastic & I highly recommend it. It's expensive ( about £2100 each way per person ) but IMO worth saving for.

No murders that I'm aware of VHTM but the other half got a few kicks under the table for scraping up the gravy with his knife ( sorry - sauce )
& a clip for letting one go in the cabin with door open & declaring ' better oot than in ' as cabin steward came past. Common - us ? Just a bit.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

March next year is my biggie so looking at where to celebrate. Did spend my last biggie in Chicago with a couple of friends (was it really 9 years ago), had a great time.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:Nice touch that Pock. :thumbup:

ashingtonleeds any murders aboard. :D What a place to finish aswell...Venice!

Just got back from Rotterdam. Wasn't keen, reminds me too much of Manchester. Scarred by it's industrial past and a bit gloomy. I'm sure if you dig a little deeper you can find some charm but we won't be going back. 2 visits to Holland and I didn't like either. Perhaps the countryside is better than the city?
You have to remember that Rotterdam, along with much of central Netherlands, was the scene of much combat during WW II, so it was reconstructed in a hurry, likely on a tight budget, and I'd have to agree it's not easy on the eye. Next time stay at the hotel New York, it's an art deco building on the water with a good restaurant specializing in seafood. There are pleasant cities in the Netherlands - Delft, Leiden, even Maastricht (see youtube). One you might not think of is Roermond - stay at the magnificent Hotel Dux and walk a couple of minutes for a delicious dinner at ‘De Gelegenheed’
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

ashingtonleeds wrote:I've just got back from an amazing trip to Venice on the Orient Express. It's been something I've dreamed of for years & the other half surprised me on my 60th birthday with
books, brochures etc. I had to organise it mind !
The only concern was that it would be all toffs & we'd feel a bit out of it, but most folk were just your normal types who'd saved up for a special treat so worries unfounded.
Everyone was treated with the same excellent service, courtesy & respect. It was absolutely fantastic - a real dream come true.
Mind you, after all the posh nosh we were ready for beans on toast & bacon sarnies when we got home.
Might be asking you for some details on the Orient Express to Venice as it's still on my bucket list. We did the Rocky Mountaineer a couple of years ago and that was fantastic and a few friends have done the OE.
ashingtonleeds
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by ashingtonleeds »

No problem dlw10 - any time
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

dlw10 wrote:
ashingtonleeds wrote:I've just got back from an amazing trip to Venice on the Orient Express. It's been something I've dreamed of for years & the other half surprised me on my 60th birthday with
The only concern was that it would be all toffs & we'd feel a bit out of it, but most folk were just your normal types who'd saved up for a special treat so worries unfounded.
Everyone was treated with the same excellent service, courtesy & respect. It was absolutely fantastic - a real dream come true.
Mind you, after all the posh nosh we were ready for beans on toast & bacon sarnies when we got home.
Might be asking you for some details on the Orient Express to Venice as it's still on my bucket list. We did the Rocky Mountaineer a couple of years ago and that was fantastic and a few friends have done the OE.
dlw10, we did the Orient Express in the 1990's. We didn't go the whole way as we jumped off at Zurich to stay with my sister in Konstanz and caught the train at Zurich on its way back. Fabulous experience, really recommend it. Quality of food, drinks, service etc., absolutely first class. The only downside is that there are no showers on the train, just a small hand-wash basin in each cabin. Not too bad for me as my monthly shower wasn't due for another two weeks even though I didn't really need one. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by dlw10 »

johnh wrote:
dlw10 wrote:
dlw10, we did the Orient Express in the 1990's. We didn't go the whole way as we jumped off at Zurich to stay with my sister in Konstanz and caught the train at Zurich on its way back. Fabulous experience, really recommend it. Quality of food, drinks, service etc., absolutely first class. The only downside is that there are no showers on the train, just a small hand-wash basin in each cabin. Not too bad for me as my monthly shower wasn't due for another two weeks even though I didn't really need one. :D
Ha! Excellent. At the match this afternoon I was talking with another mate who is doing the OE in a couple of weeks - everyone I meet seems to either have done it or is planning it! I must get on with it myself... and the lack of a shower won't be an issue for me either!