Travel

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Travel

Post by Davycc »

Selby White wrote:Just got home from another backpacking UK train trip, 2 nights each in Stafford, Stratford-upon-avon, Banbury & Leamington Spa.

Averaged over 10 mile walking each day, travelling days been the hardest with the heavy backpack and some of the Premier Inns we stayed at a good walk from the station. Got soaked on our full day in Stafford but weather was great rest of the time.
We had been previously to Stratford upon Avon so we did a long walk to Wilmcote (Mary Ardens farm) and back. Same in Leamington walked to Warwick along the Grand Union Canal and back along the river.

The walking alone wasn't too bad but ha a few beers and bottles of wine on the evenings, bit of a mix eating at pubs a couple of chain restaurants and some cracking local restaurants.

Home for a rest :D
Sounds like you had a great few days :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Davycc wrote:
Selby White wrote:Just got home from another backpacking UK train trip, 2 nights each in Stafford, Stratford-upon-avon, Banbury & Leamington Spa.

Averaged over 10 mile walking each day, travelling days been the hardest with the heavy backpack and some of the Premier Inns we stayed at a good walk from the station. Got soaked on our full day in Stafford but weather was great rest of the time.
We had been previously to Stratford upon Avon so we did a long walk to Wilmcote (Mary Ardens farm) and back. Same in Leamington walked to Warwick along the Grand Union Canal and back along the river.

The walking alone wasn't too bad but ha a few beers and bottles of wine on the evenings, bit of a mix eating at pubs a couple of chain restaurants and some cracking local restaurants.

Home for a rest :D
Sounds like you had a great few days :thumbup:
Yes excellent and using the train is a great way of seeing the country, will be planning more trips that is for sure.

Not touring as such but off on the train for a long weekend in London in December with another couple, not mentioned to Mrs SW Leeds are at Chelsea though ;)
Have booked tickets to see the Bob Marley musical on the Sunday so be interesting to see what its like.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Thinking of doing a hotel New Years packages, a number of the bigger ones do them so been doing a bit of searching.

We've done it before a couple of times and had a great time so why not.

Next Year we are starting to look at going abroad again if things keep easing. Been looking at doing a City Break to Rome as a couple of friends have been convincing us its a must see City, they loved it there.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Selby White wrote: Been looking at doing a City Break to Rome as a couple of friends have been convincing us its a must see City, they loved it there.
Booked yesterday to go in March next year for my birthday trip (covid allowing) :thumbup:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

The Young Bremner wrote:Aplogises If a thread like this has been made, I couldn't find one.
Where is everyones favourate place to travel or best place they have been to so far.....

I have family living in Singapore and I must say its the cleanest country I have ever been to.

My favourate place so far must be the phi phi islands in thailand, took a boat ride and island hopped there for a day and I must say its paradice, especially if your into scuba diving.....
Spent two years in Singapore (1955-57). Slightly different place then but many happy memories still. My daughter recently worked in Singapore for 4 years, she loves it there.
I once played against Don Revie.
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

Where is everyones favourate place to travel or best place they have been to so far.....
Yorkshire - yes really!
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

So many wonderful places that it’s hard to say which is my favourite. I suppose top would be Cairns in Australia special mentions for Tobago, Borneo & South Africa ( around the Cape region ) one of the highlights of The Cape was seeing African penguins they really were fantastic. As I type I suddenly remember Antarctica which was incredible from going round The Horn to arriving in Paradise Bay with all its icebergs a very special place to visit & I feel blessed I was able to go there. On reflection it’s now over 8 years since we left Buenos Aries on a cruise that held a lot of the unknown but memories I’ll take to my grave.
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Off to North Norfolk in awhile a place we haven’t visited for about 5 years. The hotel we are staying at is next to a RSPB reserve & seeing Marsh Harriers during the day is a common occurrence & as dusk descends they’re replaced by Barn Owls. Eating at the hotel tonight then the next couple of days we will eat elsewhere so many lovely pubs all serving lovely fresh seafood.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Off to North Norfolk in awhile a place we haven’t visited for about 5 years. The hotel we are staying at is next to a RSPB reserve & seeing Marsh Harriers during the day is a common occurrence & as dusk descends they’re replaced by Barn Owls. Eating at the hotel tonight then the next couple of days we will eat elsewhere so many lovely pubs all serving lovely fresh seafood.
I tend to go by golf courses, though I don't play now. North Norfolk was a popular destination. Sheringham, Hunstanton and a bit further south, Royal Cromer. Lovely part of the world. Love Norfolk crab.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

A couple of highlights from our recent trip on Sunday morning the breakfast waiter told me that Kenny Dalgliesh was doing a book signing that afternoon & the event was fully sold out. As we arrived back in the hotel we noticed several elderly women in the hotel foyer. We looked at each other with me saying I was surprised that KD attracted so many elderly fans. We sat having a beer & saw lots of people carrying 4/5 books each, I decided to see if I could see that great man. Couldn’t see him anywhere so I asked someone had Mr Dalgliesh gone, no was the answer here’s just there. It turned out it wasn’t Kenny but an author JM Dalgliesh :roll: Has anyone read any of his books ?

Later on Sunday afternoon I went to the car as I’d left my book. I looked up & there was several thousand starlings flying over. They weren’t murating by it was still an incredible sight as they just kept coming, truly amazing.