Travel

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Travel

Post by Selby White »

Our trip :-

New York -
Was touch and go whether we would fly as New York had been hit with severe snow the previous day cancelling all fights.
Fortunately we did set off almost one hour late but made up for lost time only to then spend the best part of 2 hours in the queue at JFK security.

Taxi to hotel (pre booked just had to phone when through security), system worked well. Hotel was in an area called long island city (Queens) which is just over the river from Manhatton (couple of stops on subway which was next to hotel). Was half the price of Manhatton hotels and included breakfast. The area was very quiet on a night it was a run down warehouse district that's in the early stages of been redeveloped. Did find 3 good restaurants within a 10 minute walk from hotel, also one stop on subway to Roosevelt Island and a very good Pub.

While there we got a 7 day pass for public transport, a bargain.

First full day we met up with Cathy's son and his wife, they were travelling home day before we arrived but their flights were cancelled because of the snow. We visited Ground Zero, Battery Park and South Street Sea Port. Later it was Times Square and Broadway.

Day Two - Statue of Liberty & Ellis Island was the main activity.

Day Three - Well worth the long subway ride to visit Coney Island, I was last there in 2005 and its really been regenerated. Walked the full length of the wooden boardwalk (or beach). Had lunch at Nathans famous for the world hot dog eating competition (didn't challenge the 72 dogs in 10 minute world record :shock: ). Actually had a Philly Cheesesteak. Only disappointment Luna Park wasn't open, enjoy a funfair and wanted to ride the Cyclone.

Day 4 - Visited the Intrid Sea, air, space museum, Concord and the Space Shuttle at the same venue was worth it. Later walked the high line which is an old railway track converted to a footpath in the sky that takes you from 34th st to 10th street.

Day 5 - Up into Harlem for morning coffee before walking the length of Central Park from North to South.

Day 6 - Had a walk through the upper east side in the morning. Afternoon did the matinee performance of "Beautiful" the Carol KIng story (got to do a Broadway Musical if in NY). Really up there with the best I've seen and the fact we picked up $40 tickets (should have been $179) was well worth it.

Next Day was about travel and flying to Chicago.

Again used public transport to get everywhere, 7 day pass for $33 and that included both airport transfers.

Our Hotel was in the heart of the River North district, plenty of restaurants & Pubs.

First Full Day - We had pre booked a afternoon 3 hour Lunch Cruise on Lake Michegan, superb start to the windy city was top class and excellent value.
We actually spent the morning walking to the Navy Pier to catch the boat.

Day 2 - St Patricks Day, walked to the river in the morning to watch them dye the river green, massive crowds everywhere. Found somewhere for lunch before on to Grant Park to watch the start of the parade, never seen so many floats and marching bands in my life (one million people lining the streets estimated), watched for 2 hours and they were still going past. Difficult to find anywhere to eat that night as everywhere packed out so settled for the hotel restaurant.

Day 3 - Walked along the river walk to Sears Tower then Union Station before visiting Maxwell Street Market. Out Early that night to visit "Tommy Gunns Garage" a 1920's themed show in an old speakeasy, bit of song, dance and comedy, a few gangsters and a police raid. Add to that a excellent meal included was real good fun.

Day 4 - Up to the 94th floor of the Hancock Tower and "Tilt", thats where you stand in a glass cubicle that tilts forward so you are facing the ground, we both did it and Cathy reckon i was more scared than her. :crazy:
Afterwards walked down the Magnicent Mile to Millenium Park, then spent rest of the day visitingvarious sites including Chinatown, Biograph Theatre (Dillinger was shot here, see film Public Enemies) and Wrigley Field (home of the Cubs).

Day 5 - Subway up to top of Lincoln Park then day walking back to the City, its 6 mile long alongside the Lake and includes a Zoo which is excellent (largest FREE Zoo in the world apparently).

Day 6 - Caught the EL through the West Side first to Garfield Convervatory (another excellen free attraction) before going on for a stroll through the Oak Park neighbourhood and lunch. Its famous for its posh wooden houses some designed by Frank Lloyd Wright who lived here and its also the birthplace or Ernest Hemingway.
Did I mention that was my birthday (60 is the new 40) and that evening we ate at Andy's Jazz Club while watching a couple of excellent Jazz quartets, both groups had a drummer, Piano player & Double Bass man but differed with the lead as the first it wasa guitarist and the 2nd Saxophone.

Following morning it was back to New York but stayed in Brooklyn for one night, found a good Pub to chill and eat that night close to hotel.

We did get the last day in NY as flight home was 10-30pm so walked through Brooklyn Heights, across Brooklyn Bridge before a late lunch in Little Italy.

Great Holiday but very expensive especially NY, we certainly spent more than plan but was well worth it.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Great review SW, sounds like you had a top time over in the good old US
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Sounds great, SW.
I only spent two days there but - like I always do - I just walked everywhere and gawped at everything. This was about 1998 or '99 I guess.

Amazing place.
Lovely people.
I took the ferry to the Statue but didn't get off - I just wanted to get out there and see the city (and the Twin Towers) from the water.
I was a smoker when I went and it was illegal to smoke on the streets (!!) so you had to go into bars .. such a hardship ! ;)
I ended up sitting next to a little old lady who used to be a ballerina back in the 50s and 60s. Sat with her for well over an hour, just talking about the grand old days on Broadway and movie stars, etc. She was a real character, probably around 80 but pin sharp and with that NYC wit and spiky way of talking.
I called my mum from the top of the Empire State and shouted "Hey ma ! I'm on top o' the world !!" (if you've not seen Jimmy Cagney in White Light, White Heat you won't get that. You also haven't lived !)
PockWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by PockWhite »

Great review SW, of what sounds like a wonderful & memorable trip! :clap: :thumbup:
We had a week in NY, stayed just off Times Square, in Sep't '13.
T'was a fantastic place, we had a terrific time and would go back again in a heartbeat, but there are so many other places we want to see aswell. :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Where does everyone get their travel money from ?

Last few times I've used the Post Office online, find they have very good rates (yet terrible rates on the high street). As long as you are ordering £500+ they post it to you for free.
Deleted User 728

I tend to rob banks as well as Post Offices as they normally have more in the safe ..
ChilwellWhite

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Thanks for that SelbyWhite an enjoyable if envious read ;)
dlw10

Post by dlw10 »

Selby White wrote:Where does everyone get their travel money from ?

Last few times I've used the Post Office online, find they have very good rates (yet terrible rates on the high street). As long as you are ordering £500+ they post it to you for free.
I use the PO these days as I got fed up of being ripped off by the bank! but at the end of the day when you look what the holiday is costing, a few quid here and there on commission and rate differences hardly matters a jot!!!!
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

dlw10 wrote:
Selby White wrote:Where does everyone get their travel money from ?

I use the PO these days as I got fed up of being ripped off by the bank! but at the end of the day when you look what the holiday is costing, a few quid here and there on commission and rate differences hardly matters a jot!!!!
That's so true it's minimal compared to holiday price, think it's the principle of it.
I'd say you can actually get a better rate in the vast majority of countries I've visited.
Deleted User 728

I generally don't bother if I'm going to Europe.
I'll just use my debit card for most stuff and make a withdrawal from a cashpoint when I'm there.