Travel

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Travel

Post by Sniffer »

mapperleywhite wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Never fancied China I hear that the food is not something Westerners find unpalatable, has anyone been ? I fancy Thailand, Cambodia & Cambodia. My son in law &"a couple of mates did a tour there last year on Harley's. Japan again not somewhere else overly fussed about.
Stayed in Beijing with an ex-neighbour's family who were ex pats there in 1998, so obviously they knew the ropes. Food was excellent and had no 'side effects' from it. Saw the Forbidden City, Fragrant Gardens and the Great Wall, all well worthwhile. You're really isolated because nobody hardly speaks English. Even then pollution was quite bad.
I'm with you there. Really smoggy back in 1991 and, as you say, very isolating. No signs in english and very few spoke english. And, although the authorities were very suspicious of foreigners, the normal people were lovely.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Having lived in Houston from 1992 until 1996, and visited 26 States during that time, it might be thought I'd have some nostalgia for the country....

San Francisco is far and away my favourite.... fabulous climate (no a/c mostly!) the setting around the Bay is unforgettable... across the Golden Gate is Morin County.... where BMW means Basic Morin Wheels..... but beautiful redwood forests....

My favourite time in Texas was when the bluebells came out in spring..... beautiful carpets of flowers in the countryside....... also when the temperature, and more importantly, humidity, dropped in October and it was 'only' 85'F/29'C...I went to work in a pullover!

Right now I would find no tourist interest in visiting the USA...... the cities are so 'samey'..... flat with a grid layout....shopping malls and plazas.....ordinary food mostly.... served in ridiculously large portions

I don't know New York that well... so can't really comment, except I like Chicago more.

Americans..... you can't really generalize a nation of 350 million.... I'd agree about their friendliness and generosity, but hope you don't meet a Trump supporter.

Having said that, my son married an American and they're now living in Scottsdale, AZ, so we might be over!
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

When we flew into Houston from Costa Rica we missed our connection to Heathrow. All our party stood at which airline desk it was arguing & trying to get vouchers. We walked over asked what time the flight was the next day & the address of our hotel. We made our way outside to where the taxis were & enquired as to how much to our hotel & were quoted $15 so jumped in to the cab & off to the hotel. We ordered steak & fries & wine. Anyway about an hour later, perhaps longer the rest of our party arrived waving vouchers to get them a meal only to be told that they'd stopped serving half an hour previously. It was hard to surpress a smile button we did :D
Winner of the Europa League
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

US states visited.

California
Nevada
Arizona
New Mexico
Maine
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Connecticut
New York
New Jersey
Philadelphia
Washington
Maryland
Pennsylvania
Vermont
New Hampshire
Texas
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

New York
Illinois
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Massachusetts
Missouri
Tennessee
Arkansas
Louisiana
Georgia
Washington
Colarado
Utah
California
Texas
Wyoming
Montana
South Dakota
Kansas
Oklahoma
New Mexico
Nevada
Arizona
Missisippi

Could add Florida & Minnesota as had feet on the ground but only seen airports while changing flights (Miami and Minneapolis)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Off to Torquay for 3 days.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Selby White wrote:New York
Illinois
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Massachusetts
Missouri
Tennessee
Arkansas
Louisiana
Georgia
Washington
Colarado
Utah
California
Texas
Wyoming
Montana
South Dakota
Kansas
Oklahoma
New Mexico
Nevada
Arizona
Missisippi

Could add Florida & Minnesota as had feet on the ground but only seen airports while changing flights (Miami and Minneapolis)
Good list Mick :thumbup:
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:New York
Illinois
Pennsylvania
New Jersey
Massachusetts
Missouri
Tennessee
Arkansas
Louisiana
Georgia
Washington
Colarado
Utah
California
Texas
Wyoming
Montana
South Dakota
Kansas
Oklahoma
New Mexico
Nevada
Arizona
Missisippi

Good list Mick :thumbup:
Decided I wanted to do the States about 15years ago, started by doing various City breaks (usually two at a time) so done lots of the major ones. Ones still on my bucket list are Washington, Dallas/Fort Worth, San Diego, Millwaukee and Portland.

Have done 4 touring hols also which of course ups the state count.

A few on your list around New England I've yet to do and also fancy the Carolinas & Virginia at some stage.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Currently adding another country to my list as am touring China.
Too much to write about here will do report when back home.
So far it's been 3 nights in Shanghai then 4 nights sailing up the Yangtze, add an internal flight and two journeys on the Bullitt train and covered some miles.
Currently in Chengdou, just had breakfast and about to go visit the Panda breeding centre.
Still another week over here off to Xian in a couple of days before finishing in Beijing.
Its certainly a full on trip, gonna need an holiday when we get back. ;)
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Selby White wrote:Currently adding another country to my list as am touring China.
Too much to write about here will do report when back home.
So far it's been 3 nights in Shanghai then 4 nights sailing up the Yangtze, add an internal flight and two journeys on the Bullitt train and covered some miles.
Currently in Chengdou, just had breakfast and about to go visit the Panda breeding centre.
Still another week over here off to Xian in a couple of days before finishing in Beijing.
Its certainly a full on trip, gonna need an holiday when we get back. ;)
Enjoy the holiday.

Been to Beijing, it's a wonderful place. Be careful crossing the road. :crazy: