Travel

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: Travel

Post by Wigan White »

Selby White wrote:
Wigan White wrote:
Selby White wrote:Just about to leave Seattle after 3 nights here, another worth a visit.
Epic road trip here from San Fan amazing scenary from wineries to giant trees to stunning coast along with mountains, lakes and crazy rivers. Add to that a couple of volcanos along with plenty of wildlife including Elk, Whales, Eagles etc. But not too keen on the snake that slithered past about 2 inch from me :shock:
Did you eat at Ivars on the waterfront SW. Loved it when I visited Seattle.
No we didn't WW but think I know where you mean as believe we walked past it on our last day.
First night we arrived late after travelling up from Portland via a few interesting stop offs so ate at our hotel.
2nd day morning had a tour og the Boeing factory then after getting back went to the area around the Space needle then down to Pike Place market. Ate at a restaurant recommended not too far from hotel.
Last day we spent exploring including going up the interesting Smith Tower (first skyscraper but now dwarfed by others) before early evening moving hotel to one at the airport (as had a early afternoon flight and our organised part of the holiday only involved two nights with the tour group). Believe it our not ended up eating in a fantastic Thai restaurant near the airport.

Not sure when you were there but they have knocked down the ugly viaduct (road) between the market and bay front. Going to develop it into gardens apparently.
I had been before but over 10 years ago, lots of new buildings gone up.
Long time since I was there SW.

Was only there for a few days. Did the Space Needle and Science Museum, and saw a baseball game in the Kingdome and that was demolished in 2000.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Having a short UK break (5 nights) starting Wednesday.

Initially staying for a couple of days in the Cotswolds staying in Evesham then moving on to Tring (Hertfordshire).
Got a some Walks planned near both bases and are catching up with some relatives.
Cathy also wants to visit Oxford as she as never been so will do that on the day we switch hotels.

Its also Cathy's birthday on Saturday and we will be visiting a fine dining establishment (courtesy of her son) on that evening. :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Just booked a week at this place in the Cairngorms in January, think I'll need my thermals :shock:

https://scandinavian-village.co.uk/

We joined an holiday Club last year and it gives access to numerous self catering apartments around the world at discount prices, looks good for £189 for the week to me.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Selby White wrote:Just booked a week at this place in the Cairngorms in January, think I'll need my thermals :shock:

https://scandinavian-village.co.uk/

We joined an holiday Club last year and it gives access to numerous self catering apartments around the world at discount prices, looks good for £189 for the week to me.
My favourite area in the UK, we used to stay at Carrbridge which is a lovely village. Walks in Abernethy Forest trying to see Crested Tits which we finally realised go to the feeders by the visitors centre. A trip to the Findorn Valley is recommended, beautiful scenery & no visitors hardly. The Black Isle is another lovely area.
Winner of the Europa League
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

As the Millwall game has been put back until Tuesday, we've taken the opportunity to have a weekend in York. Not too far away, but far enough to feel like a proper break from work.
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

BrighouseWhite wrote:As the Millwall game has been put back until Tuesday, we've taken the opportunity to have a weekend in York. Not too far away, but far enough to feel like a proper break from work.
Enjoy Brig :thumbup:
Often there myself as its only just up the road, lucky to live close its a great city.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

BrighouseWhite wrote:As the Millwall game has been put back until Tuesday, we've taken the opportunity to have a weekend in York. Not too far away, but far enough to feel like a proper break from work.
Like SW says, only a quick car ride down the road for us.

My favourite city by a country mile, if you fancy a footy fix, York play Kettering tomorrow :D
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote: if you fancy a footy fix, York play Kettering tomorrow :D
Wish I knew that told Mrs SW we could go for a walk at Fairburn Ings followed by a sausage and bacon Sarnie for lunch at Lumby Garden Centre.

Actually on 2nd thoughts, right choice :D
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:

My favourite city by a country mile, if you fancy a footy fix, York play Kettering tomorrow :D
Most of the day will be spent going round the city centre and the railway museum. If I sneak off to the footie, the next stop would probably be the divorce court
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

BrighouseWhite wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Most of the day will be spent going round the city centre and the railway museum. If I sneak off to the footie, the next stop would probably be the divorce court
Loads of small independent shops up The Shambles and around the top end, the railway museum is excellent too.

Might be a bit cool around the riverside for a pint of something, but still some nice pubs and bars down there.

Enjoy it BW :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.