Travel

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Travel

Post by johnh »

Been to Slough again today. :shock: Changed my car. My Nissan Qashqai is 10 years old so changed it for a newer model. The new model is like piloting the SS Enterprise compared with the old model. Video's and bleeps every few seconds. Don't know what they all mean at the moment, must read the handbook. Everything is keyless and engine cuts out whenever you stop. Doesn't even have a handbrake. Bit different to the old Austin 7. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:
BrighouseWhite wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
BrighouseWhite wrote:As the Millwall game has been put back until Tuesday, we've taken the opportunity to have a weekend in York. Not too far away, but far enough to feel like a proper break from work.
Like SW says, only a quick car ride down the road for us.
My favourite city by a country mile, if you fancy a footy fix, York play Kettering tomorrow :D
Most of the day will be spent going round the city centre and the railway museum. If I sneak off to the footie, the next stop would probably be the divorce court
Loads of small independent shops up The Shambles and around the top end, the railway museum is excellent too.

Might be a bit cool around the riverside for a pint of something, but still some nice pubs and bars down there.

Enjoy it BW :thumbup:
I'm sure we'll enjoy it. At the Premier Inn now, have the Beefeater next door with the Wetherby Whaler and Chinese restaurant 2 minutes walk away so a good choice of food
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
BrighouseWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by BrighouseWhite »

johnh wrote:Been to Slough again today. :shock: Changed my car. My Nissan Qashqai is 10 years old so changed it for a newer model. The new model is like piloting the SS Enterprise compared with the old model. Video's and bleeps every few seconds. Don't know what they all mean at the moment, must read the handbook. Everything is keyless and engine cuts out whenever you stop. Doesn't even have a handbrake. Bit different to the old Austin 7. :D
Changed my 13 year old Fabia for a new Octavia a few months back, everything is controlled through the infotainment system. Thought I'd have to go to night school to understand it all
There's light at the end of the tunnel and the future's looking very bright indeed.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

BrighouseWhite wrote:
johnh wrote:Been to Slough again today. :shock: Changed my car. My Nissan Qashqai is 10 years old so changed it for a newer model. The new model is like piloting the SS Enterprise compared with the old model. Video's and bleeps every few seconds. Don't know what they all mean at the moment, must read the handbook. Everything is keyless and engine cuts out whenever you stop. Doesn't even have a handbrake. Bit different to the old Austin 7. :D
Changed my 13 year old Fabia for a new Octavia a few months back, everything is controlled through the infotainment system. Thought I'd have to go to night school to understand it all
I think Nissan run a course (two weeks residential in Tokyo) on the latest Qashqai. I would go but am thinking about my carbon footprint. :lol:
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Decided as we’re down in Southampton in May for the cricket that are going to tag a few days on to go to Jersey. Sorting out tickets train to Eastleigh watch the game then a flight to Jersey a break then fly to East Midlands. Oh the joys of been an international jet setter :D
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Decided as we’re down in Southampton in May for the cricket that are going to tag a few days on to go to Jersey. Sorting out tickets train to Eastleigh watch the game then a flight to Jersey a break then fly to East Midlands. Oh the joys of been an international jet setter :D
Never been to the Channel Isles, one of the many places on our list.
Will look forward to a report :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Selby White wrote:
Never been to the Channel Isles, one of the many places on our list.
Will look forward to a report :thumbup:
Worked on Alderney from 1973-75 lovely island. Have done the others as well full of stuff from WW2 you know bunkers etc. The islands used to be known as Jersey was peroxide by the sea, Guernsey was geriatric by the sea & Alderney was cirrhosis by the sea :D
It pretty much clashes with our silver wedding anniversary so I’ve really pushed the boat out hotel wise. Really looking forward to it.
Winner of the Europa League
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Once went to Jersey on business. Flew from Heathrow. They served breakfast on the plane. They were almost running up and down to get it served as no sooner were we at cruising height then it started to descend. When we landed in Jersey the plane hit the runway so hard that all the lights in the overhead panels fell out and were hanging by their cables. A German gentleman sitting next to me said 'I have never had a landing like that'. I didn't say anything because I had! :shock:
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

Jersey is a lovely island and with its French influence it’s hard to believe it’s a part of Great Britain. We have a friend a season ticket holder in the west stand who only ever goes there on holiday. They do however get a lot of crime as indicated by Bergerac.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

ChilwellWhite wrote: They do however get a lot of crime as indicated by Bergerac.
Suspect its a lot safer than the village of Midsummer ;)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.