Just good beer...

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Morphoolu
Major Frank Buckley's monkey gland expert

Just good beer...

Post by Morphoolu »

I saw PockWhite's reference to Golden Champion in the music thread and thought we could do with one on beer? (Apologies to the mod's if it's already out there and I've missed it - please don't beat me again Bogdan / TJ et al :lol: )
Anyway, recently I am mostly drinking Fursty Ferret or, particularly, Hopping Hare by Badger and loving it!
Oh the hokey cokey, oh the hokey cokey, you put your left leg in...
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: Just good beer...

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Haven't had a pint of beer for ages. Love to go to Malham and have a pint of Black Sheep, I don't believe it travels that well if I am honest. Like Tinners if in Cornwall and Cameron's if in the North East. Other than that I am a wine drinker ;)
Winner of the Europa League
dskimcbski
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by dskimcbski »

Don't really drink pints that much either tbh-did become slightly addicted to a Tequila beer called 'Desperados' while back and forth to Lanzorote. Or a gorgeous pint of Pear cider on a hot summers day-with loads n loads of ice.......mmmm mmmmm mmmmmmmmmmmm :thumbup: :P

Can't beat a nice Chilean or New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc either.....
'I'd rather be hated for being who I am, than loved for being someone I'm not'.
+15
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by +15 »

mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

NottinghamWhite wrote: Love to go to Malham and have a pint of Black Sheep, I don't believe it travels that well if I am honest.
Yes I'd agree that when Black Sheep gets to the balmy climes here in Nottingham it loses something.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

It took me a long time to realise after I moved back to the UK that bottled beer is really palatable. Fullers ESB, Old Peculiar and Brains Dark are very enjoyable.

We're fortunate that we have an active CAMRA group here in Nottingham, and the pubs respond accordingly. Horse and Groom, Fox and Hounds, Gladstone and stupid person & Hoop all serve first rate hand-pumped beer. Best of all is the Johnson Arms which frequently is listed in the top 3 for real ale in the country; shame it's a bit out of the way.

I like to think of myself as growing up with Fullers beer, and still rate London Pride among my favourites. But truth be told I did most practice with Tetley's 'mixed' during my days as a student in Leeds; don't think it's available any more.........?
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Agree with Mapperleywhite London Pride is about the best down here. Love Old Peculiar but my local supermarket has stopped stocking it.
I only drink beer now if I'm really thirsty. Can't stand Lager. Drink mostly wine and a drop of Scotch.
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Will have a Stella, bottle, hate tins, if watching a match or having a BBQ. Strange that I prefer wine but always go for a bottle of beer to watch the footy. My fav tipple is a Spanish Tempranillo mmmm
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Malcolm Stark
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Malcolm Stark »

Worthington White Shield... possibly the best nationally available bottled beer there is?

(if some kind Admin person could embed this photo, I'd be very grateful... :wave: )
Wilfred Martin
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by Wilfred Martin »

I've never tasted a better bitter than a pint of Tetleys cask when it was brewed in Leeds and delivered by horse and cart to the local pubs in the City. Had to be hand pulled though. I remember the outcry when Tetleys changed all their pumps to electric pull and had to backtrack and put all the hand pumps back in!

As a youngster I was introduced by my dad to Ramsdens of Halifax and Websters.
When I took over a pub near Rotherham in 1995, I made sure that both Tetley's and Websters were introduced there. (Ramsden's was acquired by Websters I believe.)

Nowadays, like many of you I tend to drink wine, being particularly fond of Crozes Hermitage, Pinot Noir and a nice, crisp New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc. Still enjoy an occasional bottle of Jennings Cumberland Ale though.

Some of you have already commented that some cask ales don't travel well. The further it travels, the longer it takes to settle well , so my recommendation is to drink whatever is brewed locally to you.
We're on our way to....