Daily newspaper

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 728

Re: Daily newspaper

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Blimey ... he really was a popular guy, wasn't he ?? :D

I just remember him from being a very energetic player, like a puppy on Duracells, who thought he was better than he really was *cough* Steven Gerrard *cough* and who ended up on AQoS as a captain opposite Bill Beaumont for as long as I could remember as a kid/teenager.

I always thought he was a bit snidey on the show, ready to make the obvious joke or bitchy remark "with a smile" while Beaumont was dry and straight down the line, but way more entertaining ... and the kind of bloke you could have a few drinks with.

Great story from Tommy Smith, though ...
Mellor
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by Mellor »

johnh wrote:
rigger wrote:Spiderman, could you say what Emlyn Hughes wrote ?
I don't recall the story, but I know he (EH) was widely disliked in the game so it would be interesting ...
I was once at a sportsmans dinner where the guest speaker was Tommy Smith the Liverpool defender. He said that once when Liverpool played Chelsea, Ron (Chopper) Harris tackled Emlyn Hughes and left Hughes flattened on the pitch. Smith said that while Hughes was being treated by the trainer, half the Liverpool players sidled up to Ron Harris and shook his hand.
He dissed Revie as well when England manager. Hughes looked like his personality. Shame.
When I was young I said to my mum, 'are the hills in the distance America?'
attacco decente
Spiderman
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Spiderman »

Shortly after Billy's death EH used his column in the Daily Mirror to accuse Billy & Don of cheating, he openly accused them of bribing players to throw matches.

The Mirror was inundated with complaints & people asking why Hughes had not made these statements whilst Don & Billy were still alive, knowing that Hughes could never substantiate his comments & would have faced a massive libel action against him.

I believe the Mirror dropped Hughes shortly after.

Brother in law informs me that there is at least one newsagent in the Gipton area that will not stock the Mirror.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

I seem to remember the mirror printed a picture of a dartboard with Emelyn hughes face on it a few days later to try and get leeds fans back onside. I was about 10 or 11 so I of course cut it out and used it!
By the way thanks rigger, someone finally agrees with me that gerrard is over rated. A good player, no more. The odd eye catching goal or long pass have masked inadequacies in his game for years. Lampard is/was. a fat better all round player
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Lampard is/was. a fat better all round player
Was that a deliberate typo mate ?? :D

I actually thought he was the better player for many years, but in the end Lamps has shown to be the real deal while Gerrard has become a parody of himself. Those Hollywood passes as he tries to replace Becks in the England team actually make him look a fool these days. They never come off ... and they make me miss Beckham and appreciate his quality even more.
That game against Moldova, he was absolutely terrible ... I'd forgotten he was even playing, until he took one free kick that led to a goal, which of course will see him on the plane to Brazil, should we make it ..