Computer Help again

The place to discuss anything that isn't football or LUFC
Deleted User 130

Computer Help again

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Not urgent but something I definitely want rid of...

If I'm Google searching anything... the screen lists the results but then very quickly a Shop For frame slips in at the top of the list, showing items to buy 'linked' to the words you have keyed to Search.

I have Ad Blocker and AVG but I'm stumped as to how to get rid of this.
Aaron
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Computer Help again

Post by Aaron »

Sounds like Adware. Download Malwarebytes and scan to see if anything comes up. Link is: https://www.malwarebytes.org/downloads/

Also, what browser do you use?
Deleted User 130

Cheers Aaron. I use Mozilla Firefox.

I'm wary of Malwarebytes because I used it last week on this pc and it wiped all of Microsoft's user interface (if that's the right term) off and so I couldn't even use the pc again. fortunately a mate who is v IT savvy sussed it all out for me... it took 18 hours though.
Aaron
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Aaron »

Try using AdwCleaner and printscreening the results here before deleting anything and I'll check to see if there is anything which shouldn't be.
Deleted User 130

Thanks again, I'm downloading/using it now. I used Malware on my desck PC last week too, it worked like a dream. That's possibly because the desk pc isn't using Windows anymore as Microsoft pulled it last year??
Deleted User 130

Done the Scan on Adwcleaner - no results listed.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

CC Cleaner to is a good program. I'd also recommend Google Chrome as an alternative browser.
Deleted User 130

Sheepy wrote:CC Cleaner to is a good program. I'd also recommend Google Chrome as an alternative browser.
For a number of reasons, Firefox has been the best for me by a long chalk, but I know some folk prefer Chrome and Explorer. (Explorer often used to freeze whenever I was working on Microsoft Word, which is a lot, it was one of those Meldrew moment causers :P )
Deleted User 130

Could the issue be anything to do with Google Safesearch? I know that Safesearch Toolbar was an uninvited problem which got wiped, but there is still an option to activate Google Safesearch here.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

First off, I use Chrome - it's by far the best browser I've ever used and I was a huge Firefox fan by many years.

Second, you say you have Ad Blocker ??
Well, I use AdBlock on Chrome and it's superb.

Note the difference between the two names.

If you get an ad or a pop up, you just right click on the icon at the top of the page and it talks you through getting rid of it permanently.
It'll say "point to the ad on the page" and then you do that, then there's a little slider that goes from left to right and you pull it across the screen till the advert disappears from view et voila problem solved :)

And they NEVER come back.

It's such a good add-on (pardon the pun !) that it cuts out all ads on YouTube and DailyMotion, etc.
The only time you have to switch it off is if you use a commercial TV catch-up service like 4OD - you must disable it and watch the ads (I usually make a cup of coffee).